Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liver Failure // Disease

Re: Liver Failure // Disease

You hit a soft spot in me. My panic attacks are a direct result of my spouse getting liver disease, being hopitalized, and almost dying. So, your liver panels sound great, you just need to change your diet, cut back on your alcohol. You are smart and proactive to get a regular check up. My husband is better today but we have a very long road ahead of us. There is a great website about liver health: http://www.liverdoctor.com/ I bought her books and we now only eat low sodium which is better for your liver. I wish you the best!

Many thanks seekingpeace. I hope your hubby makes a full recovery. I read that even if you have serious liver disease you can halt the damage by change of diet and lifestyle. I suppose it is good that my liver function is okay, well I hope it is as I'm sure the dr wouldn't have requested I attend for a regular appointment to discuss results with the nurse. I think my chloresteral is high still. Take care and thanks again to you all for your replies, much appreciated and comforting.

I am sure you will be fine, low calorie diets are not good for your liver and the key is healthy eating and good exercise. I have really cut back on the crap I used to eat and the weight loss is slow but I have made changes for life The liver is amazing and all the doctors have said love it and it will love you back

Take care and look after your liver

Thanks Stacey. I now realise that this diet has probably caused my problem as I had a abdominal scan in 2008 and everything was perfect. I have my appointment with the dr tomorrow and expecting just to be told that my lipids are high. I will post tomorrow and update. I'm going to chat to the dr tomorrow and get him to elaborate on the scan, though I'm sure the sonographer know the difference between something more sinister than fatty liver. Thanks again Stacey, and good luck with your diet and exercise.

Just to update, I went to the GP today expecting to be told that my chloresteral was high which it is, along with the bad chloresteral but I was told that 2 of the liver function results were high too. I freaked, as the letter I received from the drs was to make a routine appointment with the nurse I can't believe it. My blood glucose was borderline too. He said that he was not too concerned and said that I had to change my lifestyle. I said that I was eating healthy and had lost some weight. I showed him the scan report and he said fatty liver. Though it says very course which would be consistent with fat infiltration. I'm worried it's more serious especially as two levels are out too. He said carry on as I am, eating healthy and to come back in 2 months and have the tests again. What I'm also concern about is he has requested a full blood count again and I'm wondering if this was out too! As why would he re test it? I had a thyroid test and he hasn't requested this to be repeated. I'm totally confused! One good thing though is my blood pressure is normal and the last few taken have been high.
    One last thing, he mentioned that fatty liver does not cause pain which I'm getting though Stacey mentioned she gets pain and on a few forums people say they have pain. I wonder if his knowledge is good on the liver which is another concern.

Don't panic!! The NHS do not really register fatty liver as anything to worry about.....as in non drinkers it is uncommon for the problem to progress to more serious liver trouble(wrong)....so they kind of shrug it off....also remember they can't prescribe anything for it, so it is of little interest to them. It is purely lifestyle changes that can change this, remember though 30% of adults in the UK have this condition. Also, it is common in people who are not over weight as well. We are just unlucky having this.....BUT....knowing can stop us getting worse and developing diabetes etc. My liver tests showed my ALT was 125 the last time which is 3X higher than it should be, although the rest were ok......cholesterol was 5.7. My ESR which indicates inflamation is also elevated...mildly......and the GP thinks this is my liver too Iam 37 this year and I want to be rid of this for my 40th!!!

As for no pain.....humf....I went backwards and forwards to the GP with sore right ribs and abdominal pain, as well as shoulder trouble and it took 12 months for the GP to do a scan!! My GP also said fatty liver doesn't cause pain, well wrong it 100% does!! It causes my all sorts of horrible digestive issues too!!

I have to repeat tests after easter and I am hoping to see an improvement, I think my antidepressants have added to this problem as they are liver toxic (mirtazapine) and they make you put on weight (nice!!) so they are reviewing these each time as well.

please try not to worry too much, but I know too well how frightened you feel and fed up! I am kicking up my efforts now to do more to lose weight and working hard to wear out my local fitness first's equipment!!

The full blood count helps the doctor see how all the processes are working and indicates general health, they always repeat it with me each time.

Take care

Thanks Stacey. I'm actually started to feel quite Ill and I'm always tired. The pain has been quite bad too seems to always be in the gallbladder region. I'm sure if the levels were really out he would have sent me for further tests. I just keep worrying that it has progressed on from fatty liver and gone to cirrohisis and I'm getting liver failure, though again, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get up in the morning and go to work. I have no jaundice so again think that is a good sign. Good luck Stacey with your fitness and healthy lifestyle.

Thank you and best of luck to you as well. Feel free to message me on here anytime and I will do my best to help. Nothing worse than feeling like you are the only one with this problem!!

They want you back in 2 months to see if your choles. has gone down. If not, they will put you on medication to lower it. They are going to see if your blood levels change through regular diet and exercise which is a GOOD sign!!! He is not worried about your thyroid which is why no testing on that. As far as the liver goes - My husband was sick and it got worse. He threw up every morning which progressed to several times a day. He had the runs and completely lost his appetite. Not for days for MONTHS. After 2 months he finally went to the hospital. It was very obvious something was really wrong. His stomach blew up and he had ascites (looked nine months pregnant). He had over 25 pounds of water in his abdominal lining. His eyes turned yellow as well as his skin. He has since changed his lifestyle completely and while not cured (cirrhosis), he is definitely in a better place now. Please do not worry. Did you ask your Dr. if he wants you back for a chol. recheck? Ask him or her.

Thanks seeking peace. I'm glad to hear that your husband is getting better. My stomach blew up too and I looked pregnant. Can the drs tell from a physical examination and by looking at your stomach if you have ascities? I also have the runs alot though this is getting better since changing my diet to veg and fish. I have started waking early too at 5ish every morning and I have heard this can be a sign of liver problems. I've started to lose weight and my shirts are fitting better. In the past I've also had dark urine and light stools, I went through a stage early last year of passing clay coloured runs. My only saving grace if you can call it that is my eyes are clear and I'm not yellow. I also get quite tired too, I know Stacey mentioned that she gets that with fatty liver. I have stopped drinking for good, only drank on a Saturday before. I am still able to get around so that has to be a good sign too - I hope. I would have thought the dr would have sent me to hospital if he was really concerned though I don't trust my drs anyway. Sorry to GP on.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information