Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Refux

Re: Refux

Did you know that only 250 deaths a year (across USA and Europe) are attributed to food related anaphylaxis.

Compare that with the number that die from cancer and you will see that you really do not have much to worry about.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi Nicola,

I think my reflux is made worse with caffeine, so i have made an effort to cut down on teas and coffees today and this has helped.
    Ive also got gp appointment on wed as fissure is not healing and will mention my concerns about the reflux.

Nikki - I feel the comments made about cancer are very short sighted. Cancer is a terrible disease and people really suffer. It IS NOT ALWAYS easily treated. My sister made a full recovery from hodgkins disease , but in the process she lost all her hair and fertility.
    To make such glib comments is not acceptable.

Thank you Nicola for your sensible comments x

Hi PB

Things that they told me aggrevate it are: alcohol, smoking, caffeine, spicy food, acidy food (including fruits), vinegar - that sort of stuff.

I had to go on a bland diet for a while which did help.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Unhappy Re: Refux

Sorry to post again!
    Reflux really bad at the moment, still taking omperazole that usually works really well.
    Going to gp on Wednesday, have cut out caffeine.
    Feel scared to eat anything !

Hi Mate

It could be as simple as you need to change meds or up the dose . I don,t know where the 1 in 10 turns to cancer comment came from by the other poster as i have been told the opposite from my gp so i would say thats a load of ********.

I take lansoprazole 30 mg but i also need ranitidine occassionally aswell which you can take together (but not within an hour of each other)
    Basically the ranitidine works within an hour or so and the lansoprazole (same as omeprazole) is a slow release ppi as i,m sure you know .

My old fella has had reflux for nearly 50 years , as long as we take the meds and its controlled and we watch are diet we will be fine , its when its ignored for donkeys years that problems might arrise . It sounds like the meds have been working well up untill now so i would say theres nothings to worry about . My dad has had to change meds a number of times over the years when one stops working .

Quote Originally Posted by mel2 View Post
    It could be as simple as you need to change meds or up the dose . I don,t know where the 1 in 10 turns to cancer comment came from by the other poster as i have been told the opposite from my gp so i would say thats a load of ********.
    Actually, getting cancer or Barrett's esophagus (which predisposes one to esophageal cancer) from acid reflux is extremely rare, probably even less than 1 in 10 people. For more info:

http://www.refluxhelp.org/livingwith...isbarretts.asp

Barrett's oesophagus is a complication of GORD. It is a permanent change in the lining of the gullet to resemble that of the stomach, intestine or colon. Not everyone who has acid reflux will develop Barrett's oesophagus. Up to 1 in 10 (10%) of people with acid reflux will go on to develop it....

The problem with this adaptation is that the intestinal cells have a small potential to transform into cancer cells. This lifetime risk is 5% (1:20 chance) for men and 3% (1:30 chance) for women. If cancer does develop it is usually in people over 70 years of age.

http://www.epathologies.com/sem/JFF0...20Bey%2009.pdf

10% of patients with GERD have Barrett's oesophagus.

http://www.google.com.ph/url?sa=t&so...odxS5g&cad=rja

It is thought that up to 1 in 10 people who have recurring acid reflux eventually develop Barrett's oesophagus.
    Last edited by Nikki_8; 14-07-11 at 03:42.

Thanks for your comments , its reassuring to know that your partner has had reflux for so long and is ok.

I have seen my gp today , who has suggested another endoscopy.

I DONOT think the other post with links to barrets is in the least bit helpful and will ignore this!

Its hard enough struggling with ha as it is!
    I might try taking zantac as well as omperazole for a few days.
    I think the pain on swallowing might be stressed related.

hi pb. just ignore the info about barrett's then. sorry about that... i only posted that to point out how extremely rare it is...

anyway, have you tried making lifestyle changes? i've had GERD/reflux for 2 years now. i also get the lump/pain in the throat feeling. it's terrible.

one of the things that help me whenever i get reflux symptoms is eating an apple. some swear by apple cider vinegar too. other lifestyle changes (avoiding trigger foods, raising the head of your bed, etc.) have also helped me.

i hope you feel better soon.

-nikki

Reflux really bad this weekend. saw gp on wed, who said to carry on with omperazole but also take gaviscon. This hasnt helped at all.
    Not sure if i could also try zantac aswell, i think i have done this is the past, but cant really remember.
    Now also feeling that i cant swallow - Help !!

Unhappy Re: Refux

Sorry to keep posting.
    Reflux still really bad even with omperazole and gaviscon !
    Also hurts abit when i swallow. Thinking all sorts of things.
    Had two endoscopies about 5 years ago, 1st one showed oesphagitis , the 2nd one a few weeks later was normal
    Have another appointment with gp in aug. Worried about all sorts of things, think i might have a stricture !
    Not sure if the pain on swallowing is anxiety.
    This is all too much , as i also have a fissure that hasnt healed !
    Please help , soo stressed and in a bad way at the mement .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information