Page 27 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Citalopram side effects?

Re: Citalopram side effects?

Quote Originally Posted by gemmalemma View Post
    Hello Im new here! I have been on Citalopram for about a year now, and been on 40mg for about 4 months. It seemed to work for the first few weeks or so, but for the past 2 months have been back to my usual anxious self. The doctors wouldnt prescibe me anything new over the festive period, so gave me diazepeam. But I cant take them, as they make me too drowzy for work etc.

Citalopram was good to start, but it seems to have stopped working. Anyone else felt this with it?

Hi Gemma
    Have you tried reading any books in conjunction with the medication. I found 'CBT for Dummies' and other books like 'Feeling Good' very helpful in understanding more about all the thought patterns I had that were causing the stress, worry and anxiety. They are also very helpful with combative strategies so that you can change your behaviour in the future and work through things in a different way. Also meditation principles of positive thinking are really helpful; changing how you react to things externally, so you control it rather than it controlling you. It was something I found really helpful. Wishing you all the best.

I find exercise helps a bit when taking this pill.

I don't go to the gym, i exercise at home, something simple as doing 50 squats/lunges, 20 tricep dips/push ups and 30 sit ups/20 crunches & stretching a day makes me feel much more alert and energetic!

Sorry, i didnt mean for it to come across as if i dont believe in the side effects of this drug. I know plenty do and they are very unpleasant, its just my counsellor said not to be fooled and have an open mind about it instead of always believing the very worst!

Im hoping to get back to the gym next week, shall start off swimming and progress back to 3 proper gym sessions in time. I guess i need to learn to trust my body again as i havnt managed to eat much over the last 4 weeks and so im feeling quite weak now. Im on day 3 of the tablets so far and have been quite positive and upbeat, is this a form of high before hitting a dip or is this how it goes and will steadily ramp me up to feeling properly ok??

Hi,
    Im new to this forum, but just found it and it looked really helpful.

Ive started on these today, and have so far felt no side effects...is there a amount of time they start to kick in?

Im begginging on 10mg, then the doctor said he will up my doseage to 20mg.

Do they really make you feel back to your old self.

Thanks )

Abbie x

hi again as we all know there are side effects but.... as these drugs are here to help us try to get back to normal we do have to help ourselfs.we have to get up in morning and think positive these pills do help take the negativity away from our minds,but it has to do with will power also so please try keep positive

Hi guys how are you

Well, I just found this forum today and I'm so glad to have done so!

I've been having some problems coping with anxiety/panic attacks, as well as depression. I'm anxious all the time and have been getting ibs symptoms, which my doctor thinks is related to stress. I've been visiting my GP about it for a few months. He's been very supportive, and in a couple of weeks a nurse is going to phone me about arranging counselling. I went to see my GP a few days ago and, as I've not improved in my feelings (I've got worse recently somehow), he has prescribed me Citalopram. I've got to have 10mg a day for a week, then it goes up to 20mg.

I'm always kinda anxious about taking medications, but when I read the side effects for this, I freaked out!! Some things I can deal with, but the increased agitation and possible upset stomach are scaring me, as one thing I have an issue with is sickness.

But, I really decided I have to face my fears, so today I started taking citalopram. I don't know if I've had side effects per se, or if I'm just getting worked up all by myself, but I've felt really agitated since I took my dose, my heart has been thundering! I've also felt shaky and like I'm losing control. I went for a lie down as I got tired and woke up with acid indigestion and (please excuse!) rather gassy.

The thing I am getting really worried about is when it comes to Monday and I am back at work. I'm so scared of having side effects while I am at work, or travelling on the bus

Hi I'm new here....

Just happened to be googling 'Citalopram' and this was the first site to the list.

I just want to say a big thanks for all the posts about the side effects of this drug. I was prescribed 20mg on Wednesday, my doc didn't say anything about them, just to take one a day in the morning's. OMG - the first day I was so spaced out and felt so sick that I couldn't even face a cup of coffee!! I am just about to take my fourth tablet this morning and I take mine with my breakfast. I have now found that once the nausea starts I try and eat something, it does seem to stop the feeling of wanting to be sick.

My doc also prescribed Zipoclone 7.5mg, which does help with sleeping, but it's the awful metal taste that both these tablets create that I can't deal with.
    I am also on Levothyroxine 150mg and Furosemide 40mg. I feel like a walking chemist....

I was going to cut the tablets in half and only take 10mg but thought that if the doc has prescribed 20mg that's obviously what I need.

I am still waiting for the post in reply to the lower sex drive? Does it come back after the side effects have gone?

Thanks again for all the help with understanding these awful side effects.

Misteeq....

Quote Originally Posted by Misteeq View Post
    Hi I'm new here....

Just happened to be googling 'Citalopram' and this was the first site to the list.

I just want to say a big thanks for all the posts about the side effects of this drug. I was prescribed 20mg on Wednesday, my doc didn't say anything about them, just to take one a day in the morning's. OMG - the first day I was so spaced out and felt so sick that I couldn't even face a cup of coffee!! I am just about to take my fourth tablet this morning and I take mine with my breakfast. I have now found that once the nausea starts I try and eat something, it does seem to stop the feeling of wanting to be sick.

My doc also prescribed Zipoclone 7.5mg, which does help with sleeping, but it's the awful metal taste that both these tablets create that I can't deal with.
    I am also on Levothyroxine 150mg and Furosemide 40mg. I feel like a walking chemist....

I was going to cut the tablets in half and only take 10mg but thought that if the doc has prescribed 20mg that's obviously what I need.

I am still waiting for the post in reply to the lower sex drive? Does it come back after the side effects have gone?

Thanks again for all the help with understanding these awful side effects.

Misteeq....

Hiya hun don't worry it will comeback in time i feel this is when you are feeling slightly better.I recomend not even trying it until you feel like you want to have sex other wise it could make you feel rubsih not been able to climax or even feel like you enjoying it. I mean i am only now feeling i want to but dont worry this feeling of low sex drive will not last forever and i don't effects everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by AbbstarPrince View Post
    Hi,
    Im new to this forum, but just found it and it looked really helpful.

Ive started on these today, and have so far felt no side effects...is there a amount of time they start to kick in?

Im begginging on 10mg, then the doctor said he will up my doseage to 20mg.

Do they really make you feel back to your old self.

Thanks )

Abbie x
    I started these pills in november (my first of anything like this). like yourself i started on 10mg and after a month went on to 20mg. Im very lucky as i had no side effects but on the downside i havent felt any improvement. There seems to be a lot of different info on how long they take to kick in. My doc said about 6 weeks. Every morning i hope a magic wand will be waved over me but it hasnt happened yet. Im off to docs this week. Maybe im expecting too much. Also waiting for some counselling which i am told can be very helpful in conjunction with pills. Cant actually remember what my old self was but living in hope. GOOD LUCK

Quote Originally Posted by Budgie View Post
    Hi guys how are you

Well, I just found this forum today and I'm so glad to have done so!

I've been having some problems coping with anxiety/panic attacks, as well as depression. I'm anxious all the time and have been getting ibs symptoms, which my doctor thinks is related to stress. I've been visiting my GP about it for a few months. He's been very supportive, and in a couple of weeks a nurse is going to phone me about arranging counselling. I went to see my GP a few days ago and, as I've not improved in my feelings (I've got worse recently somehow), he has prescribed me Citalopram. I've got to have 10mg a day for a week, then it goes up to 20mg.

I'm always kinda anxious about taking medications, but when I read the side effects for this, I freaked out!! Some things I can deal with, but the increased agitation and possible upset stomach are scaring me, as one thing I have an issue with is sickness.

But, I really decided I have to face my fears, so today I started taking citalopram. I don't know if I've had side effects per se, or if I'm just getting worked up all by myself, but I've felt really agitated since I took my dose, my heart has been thundering! I've also felt shaky and like I'm losing control. I went for a lie down as I got tired and woke up with acid indigestion and (please excuse!) rather gassy.

The thing I am getting really worried about is when it comes to Monday and I am back at work. I'm so scared of having side effects while I am at work, or travelling on the bus
    Hi there

I have just replied to abby (below). Sound quite similar) I felt agitated. I think mine is getting worked up by the whole thing of admitting to my fears and taking tablets. I find i am thinking about it all the time which in itself can make me edgy.Ive denied these feeings for so long that it is very scary to confront them. I too have found this forum very helpful (and sometimes a bit scary re: side effects). Ive tried all the self help stuff with no joy so maybe a bit of help from the medical proffession combined with my own determination (ha ha) will help. I told the people i work closely with that i was on pills for anxiety and maybe i may be a bit odd. Firstly they didnt believe me cos im very calm and jolly in public but they have also been fine. Fortunately there have been no problems. for the sake of other people like us post how you get on. There doesnt seem to be a lot of updates on how people are. I hope it is cos they get better

Page 27 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread Information