PDA

View Full Version : Scarey head sensations

Jules31
08-04-04, 10:25
Hi

I have been trying really hard to get a grip of all the feelings I'm having and have been putting them down to anxiety. The pains I have in my leg are due to a muscle problem and inflamed nerve, no DVT, but dr said I did the right thing to get it checked out.

So all was well until last night when I was sitting watching the tv when all of a sudden I got like this chemical rush through my mouth and entire head. I can't describe the taste but it was definitely a sort of chemical one.It's hard to describe but it felt like my head filled with some sort of chemical and the back of my eyes started stinging. It's wasn't like the usual adrenalin rushes I have had where it feels like hot liquid coursing through my head from back to front. My whole head felt like it at the same time. I went into an almighty panic and was convinced that I was going to drop dead. I felt so lightheaded and as though i didn't know where I was. Dave just ignored me cos he thought I was blowing everything out of proportion. I went to bed to try and sleep it off but this morning, my eyes still feel a bit sore at the back and I feel really lightheaded, my head is tight too.

Please someone tell me they've experienced a similar feeling. I really want to try and enjoy Easter but know i won't if I feel like this and of course things are that bit worse cos the drs are now closed until after Easter so I can't get any reassurance there. Not that I would necessarily go, more the fact that I know I can't that bothers me.

Early in the evening I had had a panic because I'd put some ibuprofen gel on my leg and then read I shouldn't use it with the inderal I'm on. I rang NHS direct and after waiting nearly an hour they called me back and told me not to use it again but that I should be ok. Do you think that the odd sensations later on were just a delayed reaction to being worried earlier. I had got myself in a state, couldn't breathe, had trapped air in my chest and was wretching with fear.

Help me get back on the positve horse guys. I'm really annoyed because was just starting to get the neurological worries under control and then get hit with something new
Hugs

Jules

red
08-04-04, 11:21
Hi Jules
As you have identified already, the panic was probably down to the anxiety over the Ibuprofen incident. One rubbing or even 2-3 would not have harmed you - those message are put there as a caution and not necessarily that events will happen. But, good that you rang for advice - the wait must have been more like a week if you were panicking.

Sometimes, in panic we can experience all sorts of symptoms, as you are aware - one of these may be nausea or other 'stomach' related problems, one of which can be a bit of bile re-gurgitated into the mouth. This is not harmful in any way but has a chemical taste to it - add this to your panicky thoughts and 'bingo' it would appear to spread to your head etc. Not pleasant, I know but not harmful and 'just' another symptom.

You survived it and like the other things that may have been bothering you like the suspected DVT (yes, right to get that checked too) you go through that too. Did you read the posts about Dr Claire Week's book? If not - treat yourself to it for Easter! It will help you to understand more of what is going on in your mind.

I understand your annoyance but ask you to think of your progress and not this hiccup - you will be fine - have a great Easter!

Red
x

Jules31
08-04-04, 11:29
Thanks Red

Claire Weekes books are my bibles or where at one time, they are now very dog earred. The problem I have is that they don't address so many of the symptoms I have or have had and that's why I've had problems accepting all this is just anxiety.

I know what you mean about bile coming into your mouth, but it definitely wasn't that and the feeling was in my mouth and head at exactly the same time. I can't understand how it would make my eyes sting. Do you think it could be adrenalin. I have read that a metallic taste can be that too as it floods your mouth. It's just I've never experienced it like this. I will try and be more positive. Though this week I have been feeling really dreadful again

Have a great easter too

Jules

nomorepanic
08-04-04, 16:51
Jules

Sorry to hear that you are suffering a bit at the moment.

You were probably worried about the ibuprofen gel as you have read not to use it, so the little panic monster thought he would get you with yet another strange symptom. You do get them all don't you - not much fun I know.

I have not come across this before but I am sure it is another symptom along with all the others.

Please try and have a lovely Easter - eat some chocolate to take away that taste and have a lovely relaxing break.

Take care

Nicola

jollywalrus
09-04-04, 09:44
Jules, I HAVE HAD THAT HEAD AND MOUTH THING! I honestly thought when I first got it that I had a brain tumour. It knocked me off balance to the point that my husband pulled me back upright. Of course to start with huge panic followed which made everything 10 times worse. But like most things in this illness, familiarity breeds contempt and I now just accept that it is a surge of some sort of panic chemical. I have had it for ages now on and off and I must say, of all the symptoms I get, it is the most unpleasant.
Hope this puts your mind at rest.
Christine

Jules31
13-04-04, 11:00
Christine

Thanks for that it's so good to know I'm not alone. Though of course I'm sorry that you have to feel this way. It really felt like something had burst in my head. I've still been feeling off for the last few days but am fighting on.

Take care
Jules

Meg
15-04-04, 22:18
Jules ,

Have you ever had a course of any of these antibiotics ?

Ciprofloxacin, (Ciloxan, Ciproxin), Enoxacin, Lomefloxacin, Norfloxacin, (Utinor), Ofloxacin (Tarivid)

Meg

Jules31
19-04-04, 11:02
Not as far as I'm aware unless I had them a long time ago, why Meg?

I'm feeling really bad at the moment. Last night I was watching tv when I got a feeling in my head for a few seconds as though I was passing out. It was really weird nothing went black but it was like I was pulling away from everything and didn't know where I was. Then I got tingling and burning in my head.Again I honestly thought I was dying.

Today I feel really weak. My head feels giddy,and achey, the left side of it is burning and I woke up with muscles twitching in the knee of one leg and the calf of the other. the knee one is still going. Never had this before. My legs feel like lead too, especially my left one I'm so fed up of all of this. I feel like I'm on the verge of passing out all of the time. I've been like this since last week now. I am trying really hard to be positive and haven't been back to the drs but keep thinking what if this isn't anxiety? GRRRRRRRRRRRR

I had to go to A and E with Dave at the weekend as he vomited some blood. The whole time we were there I felt like I would collapse. I almost kept wanting to say to them, you should be looking at me too. In the end I had to keep going outside to get some fresh air. What a help I turned out to be!!

sorry for moaning so much

Jules

Meg
19-04-04, 14:30
Just that there is growing evidence to show they can really overstimulate the CNS and a metallic taste and pains in joints are common complaints.

How is Dave now, what do they think is wrong with him ?

Meg

Jules31
19-04-04, 16:22
Oh well thanks for that, I suppose anxiety alone could do that too or have I got that completely wrong?

Dave is ok, thanks for asking Meg. At first they thought he might have an ulcer. They did some blood tests on him and he was ok. He went to see our GP today who looked back at his notes from a few years back when he had something similiar. At that time they thought he had a polyp in his stomach but it was nothing of concern. His notes say it could reoccur. Apparently he's just producing a bit too much acid so has to watch what he eats and his stress levels. He doesn't have to go for an endoscopy again, thank goodness. He has been being sick after eating on the odd occasion lately and also after running. So at least now he might listen to me about eating a bit more healthily which will in turn make me do the same too.

I thought my left sided stuff was easing too but whilst I've been in training this pm, my arm has gone heavy and achey as has my leg. The faintness and burning feelings are horrible. Someone told me the strange tastes in the mouth can be adrenalin.

I see my counsellor for the first time tomorrow which is a start. But I will have to put her off for the real sessions until I've finished the CBT in a couple of months. Don't really want to stop it until I've done the lot, or else it will be another waste of money. Am learning lots about myself even if it isn't really helping too much

on the positive side, over the last few days, I've been out for a meal with friends, and been to a Christening where I have to face my ex and his girlfriend (my ex friend). I coped though had to keep my feelings well hidden.

Hope everyone else is ok, will let you know how I get on tomorrow
Jules x

Meg
19-04-04, 16:40
Yes anxiety can bring them on too - just checking out alternative possibilities.

Well done for coping so well. You may feel awful but you still manage to get out and work and put yourself through difficult times . Well done

Let us know how tomorrow goes. Good luck.

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

Jules31
20-04-04, 11:03
Thanks Meg

I'm dreading the appointment with the counsellor because I know I will have to dredge up the whole anxiety thing and my past and then put it all on hold for however long, until I finish the CBT.

Dave is away for the next few daya, as is my best friend whose shoulder I usually cry on and I know I will feel crap afterwards. I've taken the afternoon off work so might just chill at home or go and visit my mum

I'm feeling really yuck today and not sleeping much last night couldn't have helped. Oh well at least I'm doing something positive

Jules

Meg
20-04-04, 12:56
I'm around tomorrow afternoon. I'll be back about 2-3ish.
I can pop over if you want a walk or chat.

Meg

Jules31
21-04-04, 11:11
Thanks for the offer Meg, though I will be at work until 4 pm and have agreed to look after my friend's little boy for a few hours after that. Though if you don't mind just knowing that I can call someone if I need to would really be a help. I've been worrying that something horrible is going to happen to me cos I'm on my own. Daft I know especially when I used to really love just me time.

The counselling was just an assessment, but apparently I really do need it for various different reasons.

I went to see my mum straight after but didn't talk about it. I felt really down and tearful afterwards which suprised me a bit.

I've just got into work this morning and the minute I got here I had some sort of attack. I suddenly felt a strange senation in my head, like tingling or a rush through it, went warm and felt like I would pass out. Now my head feels as though it will burst and has a heavy weight on the top and my eyes are stinging. I walked through the office and my eyes went all blurry. I feel so weak and am being irrational. I'm now thinking again that I must have something seriously wrong. Even my nose feels all tingly inside and as though it's burning a little. I've been like it for an hour now. I really thought I was over this. I'm so scared that it will never Because these terrifying feelings just keep coming back and keep changing. I'm hoping all of this is just a reaction to yesterday though we only scratched the surface of my past. I thought I was over the death of my dad until the therapist asked me how much I missed him and then I couldn't even speak.

Thank you all for being here. Right now I've just got an overwhelming urge to burst into tears again. Ok enough of my wallowing, I'm going to try and concentrate on my walk and try and ignore these feelings.

Thank you for letting me vent a little

Hugs to you all

Jules

Meg
21-04-04, 13:57
Being down and tearful is ok. Its difficult to talk about bereavements - even after time has passed.

Maybe you do need to do lots of crying. Work isn't an ideal place but do let yourself be upset when you get home.

Yes call if you want to . I'm not going far from home this pm, it's bucketing down and I already got wet once this morning going to work.

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

Jules31
21-04-04, 14:12
thanks

No work is definitely not an ideal place to be. I was sure I had finished grieving but clearly not. As if that's not enough there are lots of other things to deal with too.

I've just had to tell my boss that I will need some time off for the further sessions and he has been really good. I still feel crap though at the moment I'm having the hot sweat from hell and keep going really faint. Will this never end

Jules

Jules31
21-04-04, 17:54
Grrrrr Just dropped friend's son off. Whilst I was with him had another of those attacks like this morning. I know feel awful. My whole body feels as though it's being pushed into the ground and is charged with lead. I feel like i can't do anything let alone stand. My head is full of pressure and I keep going so faint. I don't want to go through this again. I know I wasnt better and was struggling anyway but I can't cope with this symptoms as they terrify me. It's just like something has burst in my head and it feels with something and I feel disoreintated and sometimes hot. It's happening so often lately. Sorry for being negative just needed to vent as I'm home alone and the dog wasn't really listening.

Jules