PDA

View Full Version : New guy who is really suffering, guess i need some advice

damos92
20-08-11, 08:29
Hi i'm 18 and to sum me up physically, i'd say my health is not in a great way. I'm not overweight, i don't smoke and rarely drink yet i can barely run for 30 seconds before being severely out of breath and asthma was ruled out. I've basically been at a point where i've looked something up on google, had any symptom associated with that thing, perhaps a night sweat or a hot flush and automatically i believe that i have that illness and become severely depressed/anxious about it. I've had to quit college because every day i'm just consumed with this raw terror inside me and i can't concentrate at all. Here's a few of the symptoms that i have, some of which are worsening in severity or staying the same:

Chest pains - I've had quick stabbing pains all over the chest, deep pains which were like a punch which lasted about 4 minutes, with me calling an ambulance the two times it was particularly severe and having an ECG done in the ambulance which was apparently 'not great, but not life threatening just yet' and then when i got to the hospital i had a blood test and ECG and a chest x ray and the 1st time they kept me in for a few hours because the ECG showed my heart rate was at a resting 120 but eventually they discharged me. Everything else was fine and the second time the ECG was normal apparently, although it's fair to say i was more nervous the 2nd time so i would have expected it to be greater if adrenaline was the cause. This has led to me suspect and be consumed by the possibility that i have a rare heart condition such as a cardiomyopathy or whatever else there is which is being undetected. My vision has changed dramatically and the best way i can describe it is by saying that everything around me seems to be vibrating, especially the air. It's constant and it's getting worse. I also get leg pains sometimes, but not as often as the chest pain and moments where the breath leaves me for a second or so, like i can't breathe for a good second and it quickly returns.

Well i went to see my GP about a month back and told him about the chest pains and the vision and he asked me whether i'd seen a optician, i said no and he advised that. With the chest pains he automatically assumed it was anxiety related, perhaps due to the fact that my disposition of recent has been very anxious and he told me to come back in a few weeks and if the pains persisted, he would prescribe me something for anxiety. I told him that the pains/breathlessness started when i was normal and happy and it is the sole reason as to why i am anxious but he just fobbed me off and didn't really take me seriously i felt, maybe due to my age aswell. I went to a optician and my eyes are in perfect health, as i suspected. I'm actually not sure what is causing this vision thing because it happens as consistently even in those moments where i manage to be happy or not concentrate on it, it's permanent. I'm convinced it's related to my brain, as i'm convinced that the chest pains aren't just anxiety related, although this may have contributed. I have an appointment with my GP on monday and i was wondering how i should approach it, i'm actually pretty desperate for a MRI or something to check my brain because this vision thing is making me miserable. I'm not sure what i'm hoping for with regards to the chest pains, i just want a more concise approach to them, not just an automatic 'it's anxiety, take these pills'. To me, regardless of my age, he should investigate the more serious possible causes before saying it's anxiety and if i had the tests and they came back perfectly, believe me i'd be over the moon that these scary symptoms are anxiety related. But i really don't think that they are and i want my GP to appreciate this.

What do i do guys, it was a bit of an essay but i really need some help, thanks a lot in advance.

Mirabelle
20-08-11, 09:04
Hi
When you see your GP explain your fears and what you would need to be reassured. Anxiety symptoms are very persistent and they continue after the panic has settled, sometimes for days. If your ECG was fine there is no need for concern, if there was a problem it would show up.
Try not to google your symptoms as this just feeds the anxiety.
I hope you feel better soon
x