PDA

View Full Version : Question about Asthma (sorry another breathing one i have posted)

xJust_Sarahx
20-08-11, 15:32
Hi
Well alot of you have probablys read all of my posts and know that they all mainly relate to my breathing obsession that i have. I am convinced i have something wrong with me.. mainly Asthma.
I am convinced i am going to be so breathless i will never catch my breath and i will just be suffering and end up dying.

The doctors have only listened to my chest and said there is no evidence of asthma even though i have a wheezy chest most time and i have to cough, and it gets worse if i walk fast or whatever and i always feel short of breathe.. and they tell me thats normal? that anxiety can cause my chest to be wheezy and what not? I should of had tests done and they just wont, all they want to do is put me on tablets. But i know i have something wrong with me!

Anyway i have babbled on and im very sorry but i just want to know if someone could tell me how would i know if i was having an Asthma attack? because thats all i can think of where i would be in a situation what i think would happen to me.. not catch my breathe etc with me been wheezy. i have never smoked or anything like that and im not overweight.

If i was having an asthma attack or asthma related problems would i eventually be able to catch my breathe? Like the way i am now i do something.. then my chest gets wheezy and i start coughing, then my chest and throat feels tight and i get short of breathe, i automaticly panic. But although it can take sooo long to calm down, i do eventually manage to take deep breathes and calm down but im still wheezy, im not on the floor gasping for air if that makes sense. Could that be asthma? Or is that genuinly anxiety?

Worried_Male
20-08-11, 15:46
I suffer from wheezing in the mornings and sometimes after exercise. Dr made me blow in to some thing and said it didn't look asthma related. Was told that it was probably allergy related that is very unlikely.

countrygirl
20-08-11, 19:47
I had bad asthma as a child but thankfully grew out of it and I can say a true asthma attack is not pleasant and the main thing is you cannot breathe out. This is totally different to all other breathing conditions as they stop you breathing in.

As an adult I was tested for asthma by being given a peak flow meter to use at home and for a month I had to blow into it twice a day - morning and evening and they were looking to see if there was a dip in the evening but there wasn't - this was alot of years ago so things may have changed but why don't you make a appt with Dr ( even if you have to wait 3 weeks) and ask how you can exclude asthma as a reason for your breathing problems

miss_moose
20-08-11, 22:31
That sounds terrifying, Could I just ask, what happens if you don't have your inhaler and you have an attack, and you cant breathe out? Does it just sort it's self out quickly ordo you collaps?

I've worried if i have asthma, I get out of breath very earily (just rolling over in bed causes me to really puff and pant), i am really over weight for my height though and struggle to lose weight, infact i just put more and more on.