PDA

View Full Version : coughing up blood

andyr1979
20-08-11, 16:16
Ok really panicking here now! just been to see the out of hours doctor as i have been coughing up blood, i was put on anti biotics for a throat infection but yesterday and today i have been coughing up blood! the on call doctor couldnt see anything but said that although im not in the high risk age group for lung cancer i should go see my gp to get a chest x ray!! well now im absolutely petrified and now i cant do anything til monday!!

Irisheyes
20-08-11, 16:23
ooh thats awful andy if your that concerned id go to local a&e hospital...i really hope you will be okay try calm down a bit...so sorry you feel like this...Linda

snowgoose
20-08-11, 16:55
Hi Andy,

the blood will be most likely coming from your throat being dry and raw ......coughing ruptures tiny blood vessels and blood will come out in the mucous and saliva .
honestly please dont worry .................you are most definately not in the age group for lung cancer ............and you would have other symptoms ........do not google !! you have an infection which makes you low anyway :hugs:

please be reassured ............see your doc on Monday and have lots of hot drinks and steam inhalations for your sore throat to soothe xx

andyr1979
20-08-11, 17:11
thanks for the replies, i havent googled!! :D ive been good on that front for a change, its just the way the doctor made it sound was terrible!!

s11fyx
20-08-11, 17:16
im sure its comeing from your throat as its dry and inflammed i wouldnt panic unless your coughing that much blood up that the full white tissue has turned red

snowgoose
20-08-11, 17:18
I hate how some doctors make us worry more !! had similar myself on Friday with stone faced GP[not my usual one ]
Just covering their backs I suppose ........but it sure doesnt help on a weekend .
take care...........well done for not googling ....:yesyes:.....I sit on my hands some days :blush:x

andyr1979
20-08-11, 17:31
I hate how some doctors make us worry more !! had similar myself on Friday with stone faced GP[not my usual one ]
Just covering their backs I suppose ........but it sure doesnt help on a weekend .
take care...........well done for not googling ....:yesyes:.....I sit on my hands some days :blush:x

i sit on my hands most days, lol, he did say maybe this will scare you into not starting smoking again, i was like yeah thanks a lot for that! :ohmy: when i went to bed this morning i could feel my throat scratching, it was when i got up i coughed up the blood

baileys
20-08-11, 18:10
I agree snowgoose somes doc dont understand how scared they make us by telling us the worse case scenario, you might as well google.:shrug:
The young docs are usually the worse for this, i had an experience of this not so long ago.

I have never coughed up blood but i know people who have had a throat infection or a cough and have done. I think its just routine by some docs sending for a chest xray when something like that is happening.

macc noodle
20-08-11, 18:11
Sounds like a doc on a mission to make you stop smoking!!

The blood will be from the throat infection.

But I would see my GP and ask for a chest xray if i was at all concerned. And, by the way, I would not smoke for all the tea in china seeing what smoking has done to my father's health and we are not talking lung cancer but a very long and progressive disease called COPD which gets you in the end in a very nasty way!

So, I would give up the smoking too :)

andyr1979
20-08-11, 18:22
cheers macc , and yep i have given up already , 25 days smokefree now and still counting :D

baileys
20-08-11, 18:25
I would not smoke for all the tea in china seeing what smoking has done to my father's health and we are not talking lung cancer but a very long and progressive disease called COPD

Thats the reason why i quit smoking after 35 years....only on week 10 though.
I know so many people my age with COPD, its scarey. My dad died of lung cancer but that doesnt actually scare me as much.
Quitting is good, but bloody hard.

andyr1979
21-08-11, 09:37
well after a terrible nights sleep (if you can call it that ) i havent coughed up any more blood, been up since 2am though in a bit of a state! now feel sleepy but dont really want today to be another day i dont leave the house, so if nothing else im gonna do some shopping!