PDA

View Full Version : Oral thrush/candidiasis

ItchyOne
21-08-11, 04:39
I've just visited the ENT yesterday morning for my persistent hoarse voice. Turns out I have vocal nodules, and was told to rest my voice for a while. But that's not my main concern now.
When the ENT doctor examined my mouth, he noticed some white spots on the back of my mouth and told me they are oral candidiasis or thrush. Actually, I've noticed them too about 2 weeks ago but I didn't give it more thought then. He prescribed me nystatin suspension and a course of ltraconazole pills. It's been two days already but I still don't see any improvement. :( I don't expect the white spots to disappear so soon, but I thought they should at least become smaller by now ??

Does anyone here ever had similar problems? Can you share your experience with me please? Thanks!

MidnightCalm
21-08-11, 10:35
It probably takes a while for the meds to kick in.
I had the occasional white spot so maybe I have the same?
I have a constant yellowish coating on my tongue though that sort of brushes off but always returns.

bluetopazgirl
21-08-11, 10:53
Cant talk from personal experience but my baby has it at moment following antibiotics. He's got same oral suspension as you, been taking it since weds now and only a slight improvement.. Poor little man lost his voice for 3 days. Give it a few more days if nothing with in a week then go back! I'm intending on taking him back tomorrow/Tuesday.

ItchyOne
21-08-11, 23:58
Thanks.
It's the 3rd day now, and still no visible improvement.
The white spots are small and localised on the right back of my mouth area but I can see plenty. There are some slightly bigger ones but they are still no bigger than 1 or 2mm.
I've also started some probiotics last evening, hoping to give the recovery process a little boost.
Usually how long would it take to start seeing some improvements? Getting worried...

Davinci817
22-08-11, 00:08
Good thing to remember is that they usually give you 7 days of antibiotics and they tell you to take all 7 days so that you don't keep the infection. I would give it no less than a week to expect a significant change, so at least you have a pretty sure bet that it is gone.

Make sure if you are taking probiotics that you are only doing so between doses of the antibiotic. Good rule of thumb is two hours after and no less than two hours before.

MandySlade
22-08-11, 07:44
Try good old fashioned remedies like yogurt and garlic supplements. Also, thrush is very very rarely anything to be concerned about and actually will resolve on it's own WITHOUT treatment in most cases, especially in adults.