PDA

View Full Version : vulval surgery - terrified

daisycake
21-08-11, 11:48
I've been told by gyane that I've got to get a labiaplasty plus a clitoral hood reduction as there's too much skin or something. I thought it would be a simply day case thing, even just a local anaesthetic but the doctor said it would be a case of staying uop possibly up to four nights, and that I'd probably need a catheter, and that I'd be put to sleep.

I'm terrified. I haven't stayed in a hospital since I was seven years old in 1998, and on that occasion my mum stayed in with me in the parents unit. I stayed in once at the age of six as well and screamed the hospital down as my mum and dad couldn't stay with me. I'm now twenty, I don't know how I'm going to cope - obviously my mum won't be able to stay this time! I'm not all that pleased about getting a general either - I had one at age fifteen which was fine but then I didn't have all this anxiety then. I'm now scared. Would I look really stupid taking my teddy in with me? And what's staying on an adult ward like - as I've only ever stayed in a children's hospital which is remarkably different :blush:

I'm scared as well of having surgery "there" - mainly the possibility that I won't like the results, that it'll be really sore or that I won't work properly anymore. Having a catheter sounds awful as well, and what happens if you need a poo? I'm just really worried.

Mirabelle
21-08-11, 12:23
Hi
Your mum can come with you and stay too if you want her to. Take you Teddy as well, you won't be the first.
You have a poo in the usual way when you have a catheter in.
Staying on an adult ward is no different to the children's ward.
I hope all goes well for you.
xx

bronte
21-08-11, 18:51
Hi is this totally the gynos decision are are you not happy with the amount of skin because if its only for cosmetic reasons you have the right to say you dont want it doing x

daisycake
21-08-11, 21:09
Mainly medical reasons - basically the skin now hangs down a lot further than it should, and keeps causing infections and skin problems. Think they came to the decision as I'm in the gynae every 2-3 months and have been since age 16, they said it has gotten bad enough that they can no longer treat it with medicine and if I want it to be better surgery's my only option. I'm not sure how the topic of a clitoral hood reduction has come about though, but they seem to think it's necessary.

I think I'm going to ask for a local anaesthetic though, the idea of a general absolutely terrifies me since I'm a bit overweight with a BMI of 36 or something, I'm scared something will go wrong!

Thank you for advice though x

snowgoose
21-08-11, 21:22
Hi Daisycake:)
general anaesthetics are so much better these days ........dont be scared.
the meds they use are very safe and the anaesthetists are very skilled and kind usually with nervous folk in my experience . you could ask for something to relax you before if you want .
And absolutely take your teddy with you ....I would take mine no joke.:hugs:
I knew a lady whose teddy travelled in her back pack and sat on her tummy while she had 20 radiotherapy treatments ........and gave her a lot of comfort .
take care and ask lots of questions beforehand to reassure you . xxx

ElizabethJane
21-08-11, 22:32
Hi DaisyCake I'm sorry that you are anxious about your surgery. I agree with the others that yes you can take your teddy and Mum can come with you too. I had a catheter in place after my hyst. It really is the best option after surgery down 'there' You will be very bruised possibly stitched and they would not want you to strain or anything like that. The catheter remains in place to allow healing to take place. This is fine after the op and being in bed. It will feel a little strange at first as you will still feel the sensation of wanting to go! When it is removed they will want you to 'pee' straight away if not the catheter will go back in. I hope that the surgery goes well and that you are soon home and recovering from your op. EJ

Davinci817
21-08-11, 22:56
Take the general, you don't want to be awake for surgery down there! Also take your mom and your teddy :)! They will give you something to relax you before hand and if they don't offer it, ask them. The catheter is also not a big deal, had one with my vaginal hysterectomy. They will likely put that in while you are out.