PDA

View Full Version : Blood test for diabetes

ElizabethJane
21-08-11, 22:23
As I am having treatment for my frozen shoulder my consultant is now sending me for a blood test to detect diabetes. Apparantly frozen shoulder can be indicitive in diabetes. I have no symptoms of diabetes so this is probably just a precaution and to rule it out. Has anybody else had this type of blood test and what should I expect from the result? Thanks EJ.

Anxious_gal
22-08-11, 00:16
I had a finger prick test done, to check my sugar levels and that was ok.

My friend had the blood test done too a few times, they came back normal.

nomorepanic
22-08-11, 00:38
Hi EJ

Can you explain what you mean by "what should I expect from the result?"

The result will be positive or negative for diabetes - or is this not what you mean?

daybyday
22-08-11, 01:00
The blood test looks at normal level range of number for whether it is a fasting check or anytime of day check.

JaneC
22-08-11, 10:36
Hi EJ, I'm sure if you have no other symptoms you don't have a problem. I've had the blood test a few times to rule out diabetes as a cause of my fatigue, as opposed to CFS/ME.

The last couple of times the initial bloods I've had taken (not having fasted) have shown slightly high glucose. I've then had to have a glucose tolerance test - fast overnight and have blood taken before and and hour after consuming a (disgusting) glucose drink. Those came back fine.

My dad was a type 1 diabetic and honestly, there were very clear, classic signs of it before he was diagnosed.

Hope this helps xxx

ElizabethJane
22-08-11, 14:55
Thanks I thought that sometimes the test might come back as borderline treatable by diet. It is a normal blood test and not a fasting one. EJ

ElizabethJane
22-08-11, 17:17
Have just phoned the hospital and they will probably want me to fast but it has been complicated as they did not know I take lithium so they are going to get back to me. EJ

ElizabethJane
22-08-11, 17:22
They want a fasting test so nothing except water after 10.00pm.