PDA

View Full Version : Social anxiety- Video

florence
10-05-06, 17:46
To those who are interested and may feel concerned...
Here is a video about a social anxiety sufferer, there's a video of an advertisement of 16 seconds first. You'll see the video just after it.

http://www.webmd.com/content/pages/24/112721.htm

Florence.

*** Worry gives a small thing a big shadow.***

pips
11-05-06, 10:36
Thanks for that Florence that was really interesting I watched the IBS one to.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X

florence
11-05-06, 19:51
You're welcome, Pips. :)

Florence.

Piglet
12-05-06, 13:25
Flo - I couldn't get it to work, not the link but the video, it just stayed at the beginning and didnt play. Will try again later on.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

florence
13-05-06, 20:40
Oh sorry for that Piglet. xxx

Florence.

Piglet
14-05-06, 11:46
LOL :D:D:D We all know how marvellously well me and technology get on don't we!!!!

Love Piglet xx

florence
14-05-06, 15:50
LOL Piglet. :D xxx

Florence.

scoobygirl2005
14-05-06, 16:38
Flo thanks for that link. Quite scary that eh, I am pretty sure I have some part of Social anxiety then, quite worrying. :(

Scooby2005
x x

Piglet
14-05-06, 16:58
Even if I don't get to watch the vid I am sure social anxiety does play a big part in my agoraphobia, as I can get out at night for a walk on my own because there is no one to see me!!

It's so strange that this should be so because I am not in the least bit shy and in the main really like meeting people and chewing their ear off - I just don't fancy havin a panic attack in front of them [:I]:D

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

florence
14-05-06, 22:25
Yes Scooby, I think I do too at a certain degree, which involves low self esteem, low self confidence and being self conscious. It's very uncomfortable.

Piglet, I see what you mean... The idea of having a panic attack in front of people is really embarrassing , isnt it? But also the idea of having a panic attack alone, terrifies me!! Can't win. :(

Florence.

mico
15-05-06, 12:37
Hi Piglet

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Even if I don't get to watch the vid I am sure social anxiety does play a big part in my agoraphobia, as I can get out at night for a walk on my own because there is no one to see me!!

It's so strange that this should be so because I am not in the least bit shy and in the main really like meeting people and chewing their ear off - I just don't fancy havin a panic attack in front of them [:I]:D

<div align="right">Originally posted by Piglet - 14 May 2006 : 17:58:18</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I think half of the fear for most people with panic and agoraphobia is the idea of panicking in front of people. 'Agora' is an ancient greek word, meaning 'market-place', which sums it up a lot better than the usual accepted phrase that it's a fear of open spaces. It's not a fear of open spaces at all. If it's an open space with no people in, then the majority of agoraphobics wouldn't have a problem with it.

What it is really about, is control. When you're alone, you do things on your own terms, but when you're in the presence of others, then we've learned to act in certain ways. We have some basic social rules going on that we mostly abide by, for example, we don't fart in public! (well, I don't, you might :D). When we're in a public space with other people about we have an element of pressure on us, and that applies to everyone. This is a far cry from social anxiety.

On those terms alone, I don't think you can diagnose SA. Otherwise I think you'd have to diagnose every other agoraphobic as having SA.

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

JEdge
15-05-06, 13:27
Hi - hope you don't mind me joining in - I sent a mail about social anxiety and my up and coming wedding- only one thing on my mind and that is having a PA during the ceremony.
I have to agree that it is a great deal to do with confidence and self esteem so my ain in the next 8 weeks is to try and build that up! I'm reading Susan Jeffers book (again!) as I think it is inspiring.
Anyhow - love this website
Jo

florence
20-05-06, 10:32
Hi Jo

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I have to agree that it is a great deal to do with confidence and self esteem so my ain in the next 8 weeks is to try and build that up! I'm reading Susan Jeffers book (again!) as I think it is inspiring.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Wishing you all the best. Hope it works for you.

Florence.

Piglet
20-05-06, 15:42
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Piglet

We have some basic social rules going on that we mostly abide by, for example, we don't fart in public! (well, I don't, you might :D).

<div align="right">Originally posted by mico - 15 May 2006 : 13:37:51</div id="right">

:D:D:D:D Well err!!!!

Thank you for that Mico - as always you explain things really well!!!

So really it is just plain old agoraphobia/panic with me - what would you say to perfomance anxiety then instead :D:D:D!!

Mirry did a post on this awhile back and I rather liked the look of that one!!!!:D

Piglet x:D

mico
21-05-06, 20:50
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">[quote]
So really it is just plain old agoraphobia/panic with me - what would you say to perfomance anxiety then instead :D:D:D!!

You could have elements of social anxiety, Piglet. Just for most people it's not down to social anxiety, yet I can see why they confuse the two since having other people around plays a big factor. For example, when I was agoraphobic, I got so bad to the point where people coming around to the house made me panic and I would often retire to my bedroom. But I still wouldn't put that under the wing of my social anxiety. Even though the two are related. It was agoraphobia.

It can get quite confusing.

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

Piglet
21-05-06, 23:26
Yes that's the same as me Mico - if I feel really rough I don't like people coming round either.

When I think about it though it really is any situation that I haven't got control of and can't escape from easily and can be watched dealing with this turmoil.

So very nice and simple then - NOT!!!!!

:D:D:D:D:D

Piglet x