PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a general panicker/worrier/stresshead!

jennytot
23-08-11, 18:52
Hello,

I've been lurking on this forum occasionally for ages and finally decided to sign up today. I'm 32 years old and in a happy, loving relationship with my lovely boyfriend of 7 years but have lifelong issues which have been unmanageable lately.

I've always been a panicker and worrier, even when I was little. If my Mum was late back from somewhere, I'd lie in bed wide awake, stressing, imagining all the terrible things that might have happened to her, while my sister was happily fast asleep in the bunkbed below. 25 years later, and I am still a nervous wreck! My problems have got massively worse since I was made redundant a couple of months ago from a job I loved, and totally out of the blue. The impact on my (already limited) self esteem has been huge and, added to that, being stuck at home alone most days, has given me all this extra time for worrying! My main problem was previously always depression, but I think I managed that pretty well myself most of the time. There were always blips, and times when it got worse, but on the whole, I coped and never sought professional help.

Now, however, my anxiety has reared its ugly head and is having a huge impact on my life. The redundancy was stressful enough, but since I left my job, I've convinced myself I've had several serious illnesses, all in a matter of weeks :wacko:

It turns out that my most recent health anxiety hysterics have not been anything serious and have been actually caused by the following things: Ovulation pains, IBS, harmless eye "floaters", sinusitis!

I have finally taken the step of speaking to my GP about my "issues": depression, panic attacks, anxiety... and am now on the waiting list for CBT, having been seen for assessment last week. I was originally prescribed a low dose of Citalopram by a different GP, but didn't really want to use medication until I had tried CBT as I really felt CBT might be the answer for me. I have also started practising yoga, taking Omega 3 supplements and multi-vitamins and trying to re-discover things which used to bring me happiness, such as cooking, reading, learning new things.

I'm not sure how much I'll be using this forum, but I thought I would sign up and say hello to all you like-minded people out there! There are so many brave people on this forum and skulking around reading their posts have helped me in the past, so I hope I will be able to help others at some point :)

nomorepanic
23-08-11, 18:53
Hi jennytot

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Hayley1982
23-08-11, 18:57
Hi sorry to hear about losing ur job, that must have been very stressful and hard to cope with. I also worry constantly so I know how u feel there.
Just wanted to say welcome to the forum.
Take Care X

Gemma T
23-08-11, 19:05
A big welcome from me. Like you I have avoided meds and started my cbt monday. I suffered with Health anx in the past which went away but unfortunately it came back.

Im also out of work and find it so hard to cope. I have way too much time on my hands to think about these things. My depression has over taken me and I cant even be bothered to look for work. Ive lost all interest. A horrible cycle.

Im sure you will find all the help and support you need.

Love Gem x x x

jennytot
23-08-11, 19:14
Ah, thank you for the kind welcome everyone. Good luck with your CBT Gemma, I hope it works for you. I am nervous about starting (don't know how long it will be, not for at least a couple of months) but I do feel quite hopeful about it too x

terror-x
24-08-11, 00:13
big welcome to the family :)

venusbluejeans
24-08-11, 01:16
Hiya and welcome to NMP I hope you find the help and advice here and maybe make a few friends in the process

:welcome:

jennytot
26-08-11, 14:56
Thanks everyone :-) I saw my doctor this morning and was prescribed strong antibiotics for a sinus infection.....obviously, earlier in the week I convinced myself it was something far more serious and caused myself a lot of panic as usual! Just looking forward to starting CBT, hope the waiting list isn't too long x