PDA

View Full Version : what should i do now ?

pacman212
23-08-11, 22:22
i have been suffering anxiety for 3 + years,it took me a few visits to the doctors and a bit of my research to find out what was wrong,i had been gradually getting worse

the doc prescribed me with fluoxetine, i tried this for approx 7 days and it made me feel really bad with the side effects, (my symptoms felt worse - the dizzyness,tenseness,panicy,breathless and lost my apetite) someone told me it would make me feel worse for a couple weeks before i felt better, i felt unable to work so stopped taking the fluoxetine

i was taking st,johns wort for a few years and read to stop this for 5 weeks before taking the fluoxetine,the doc just said to stop the st,johns wort then start the fluoxetine (mebae i got bad side effects from the fluoxetine cause of this)

i have now been off all medication for a month,i am on holidays shortly for a few weeks -should i give the fluoxetine another try or should i go back to the doctors to get them to prescribe me something else

thanks for the help

Yorkman
23-08-11, 22:59
Hi pacman, my doc prescribed citalopram "20mg" And says it's better than Prozac for anxiety.
Why don't you ask to try this too? I've been on it for 3 week. No side affects really. The odd blip but I think it's part and parcel at first. I'm sticking with the meds anyway.Im not as bad as I was. Hoping it gets better.
Like you I tried st johns wort, I don't know if it worked or not
Let us know what you do.

Tyke
24-08-11, 02:09
Hi Pacman

I was on St Johns Wort and had to have a few days gap before I went on to Sertraline (another SSRI anti-depressant like Citalopram). Sertraline has worked well for me, but the side effects were hellish for the first four weeks. There is no knowing which drug will work best for you, as different people get different reactions. It can also be true that a drug that gives you hell at first can work out really well for you when the side effects have gone, even though it may take a while for these effects to clear up. Discuss your options with the Doc as soon as possible and see what they suggest.

Tyke :)