PDA

View Full Version : Runs of ectopics

ann88
24-08-11, 00:02
I've had these pesky 'missed heartbeats' on and off for 4 years or so now, and have had many tests, ECGs, 24hr ECG, echo, blood test, all fine. I can go for a long time (even a year or so) without really having any, then I can have an evening of literally thousands.

Anyway, I'm sat here tonight getting runs of ectopics, and I'm talking 15 or more in a row, with no normal beats in between. I don't feel dizzy and I don't have any chest pain or anything, but I must admit I'm worried. I've read/heard that more than 3 or 4 in a row can be dangerous, so I'm a bit scared that I'm heading for a heart attack? Should I go back to my docs and question this? Any advice is welcome. Thanks :)

Em.ma
24-08-11, 00:09
Hi. I think as you have had all the tests you will be ok. probs anxiety hun. maybe pop back to the gp if ur very worried x all the best emma

ann88
24-08-11, 00:12
Thanks so much, you know what it's like, you can't stop worrying, especially when it's your heart!

Em.ma
24-08-11, 00:14
Thanks so much, you know what it's like, you can't stop worrying, especially when it's your heart!

Yep. Been through the heart worries my self. I tend to worry more when its something like heart/stroke/clot as i know it can be so sudden were as like cancer i dont worry so much over as i know it wont kill suddenly or as suddenly.
seriously hope u feel better after a good nights sleep. Try not to worry and they may pass x

ann88
24-08-11, 00:23
i'm exactly the same, i really have any other health anxiety other than my heart worries. i don't worry about cancer because, like you say, its not sudden. a heart attack is terrifying because its so sudden and out of your control. maybe i'll go back to the docs just for some reassurance x

Em.ma
24-08-11, 00:24
I am going back tommorow to- staying up tonight with phone in hand lol

ann88
whoops, i meant *i dont really*

ann88
lol snap, im a bit scared to go to sleep in case i dont wake up!!

Em.ma
24-08-11, 00:25
lol. i am to haha. :(

Em.ma
24-08-11, 00:30
youll be ok hun :) try to rest. i am going to try to soon :) even though the phone will be near me all night with nhs number typed in lol x :) have a good night

ann88
24-08-11, 00:49
thanks hun, we'll catch up tomorrow night x

countrygirl
24-08-11, 10:23
Don't worry about runs of ectopics its only in people with existing heart disease that need to worry, I have runs of 5-10 ectopics and yes they are horrible and frightening and can make me feel really peculiar but I was told by cardio that in a healthy heart they are just a normal change to heart rhythm.

Yes I agree its alrgith for him to say that!

ann88
24-08-11, 17:37
Thanks for that countrygirl. It's definitely the runs of ectopics that scare me, the single ones I can deal with!

I went to the docs today and told him what has been going on. It's pretty hard to describe this funny rhythm by typing but here goes...!

*Normal heartbeat* - boom --- boom --- boom --- *ectopics* boom-boom ---pause --- boom-boom --- pause --- boom-boom --- pause --- boom-boom --- pause --- *back to normal* --- boom --- boom --- boom

Did that make any sense whatsoever??! These runs of ectopics can be around 15 in a row. Anyway, I demonstrated this to the doctor, and he says I am experiencing bigeminy, which is basically an ectopic every other beat. He said it is totally benign, not harmful at all, and can basically happen ALL THE TIME without it being remotely an issue. So I came out of the surgery feeling much better.

He wrote the word down on a piece of paper so that I could look into it and be reassured that it's nothing to worry about. However, the definition of bigeminy seems to be a pvc every other beat, i.e. with one normal beat in between. Trigeminy is every third beat etc. But I don't have ANY normal beats in between - it's just ectopic beats one after the other. So is this still classed as bigeminy? Or is the one normal beat in between, one of the 'boom-boom's? i.e. one half is the ectopic, and the other half is the normal beat?

I hope this makes some sense!! I just keep thinking of the infamous 'more than 3 pvcs in a row are dangerous' quote that seems to be plastered all over the internet, and wondering if I am at risk...