PDA

View Full Version : This advice DOES work

Lottie32
09-04-04, 10:30
For those of you who don't know, I've suffered from anxiety and panic attacks on and off since the age of about 10.

For years I thought how I felt was normal! Then I discovered it wasn't, and managed to pull myself through a particularly bad patch when I was in my late teens and early twenties.

I then went through a big chunk of time where I didn't have any problems at all, did what I wanted, when I wanted, felt confident, happy and alive.

I had a couple of bad relationships after each other, and didn't feel as good, but kept going.

Then my dad died. I really thought that it would "tip me" back over the wrong side of normal. But nothing happened till a whole year after he'd died.

I started going downhill in September, and by Christmas I was desperate, in the doctors surgery being prescribed Diazepan (which I didn't dare take!!!!!) I started reading around, and discovered a therapy called CBT, which I discussed with my GP. CBT was available "down the road", and he put me on the waiting list.

Somehow, I managed to struggle along without medication and continued to go to work and function, waiting for my CBT assessment.

My life, however, started to suffer. I didn't go out anywhere apart from my local, I couldn't go shopping or visit friends. Everything became a supreme effort, and my IBS flared up again, really badly.

Eventually, I started my CBT after a huge wait. I must admit, I was very unhappy, I really had expected a "magic" cure. I couldn't see how making myself go shopping was going to make me better. Surely all it would mean was that I could eventually go into town without feeling panicky and having a dodgy tum!

Not being one not to give things a fair try though, I persevered.

Last Autumn, I stumbled on this web site. I read the information, the posts and joined in, compiling a list of things to do. Although to be fair, I was very sceptical. I didn't see how anybody out there could possibly know how terrible I felt. I didn't see how taking fish oil was going to make my symptoms better. It might work for some of you, but then you couldn't be as bad as me! I'd even got so anxious, there were only certain food substances I could eat. If I went to bed at a certain time, I would be fine, any earlier or later and I panicked!!! I reallly thought that I was mad.[:p]Although everybody was very nice and supportive, I really didn't think anybody could possible feel as bad as I did!

I started to feel a bit better and then Christmas arrived.

I've never been a festive person, and having just lost my dear lovely Gran, I wasn't looking forward to this one much, so when I started to feel worse, I put it down to pre-Festive stress. (It didn't help that last year I threw a strop, and declared that I was to cook lunch for everybody this year). Anyway, to cut a long story short, Christmas day was an unmitigated SUCCESS! I actually enjoyed it, and nobody fell out. So I was very confused when I woke up on Boxing Day and felt worse - usually when you've got something over and done with you feel better the next day don't you?

Infact I started to feel worse and worse. My anxiety was steadily rising, and I kept bursting into tears at every turn! As soon as I could I went to the doctors, who diagnosed me with depression, and recommended fluoxetine!

Great, as if anxiety and panic attacks weren't bad enough - now I was depressed too![}:)]

Well I could either fight this or go under, so I took all the advice I'd read on the web site and thought in for a penny, in for a pound, I'm trying it all!!

Over the last four months I have been (religiously) doing the following

*taking my fluoxetine
*taking Vit B Complex, Vit C Complex, Omega 3 fish oils, mineral supplement
*attending CBT sessions
*cut down on my drinking
*joined the gym and go twice every week, working out for an hour + each time
*kept a mood diary
*kept a negative thought diary - and challenged them
*watched what I ate, and made changes to my diet
*tried to relax, and have at least one early night a week
*do some things for me

nomorepanic
09-04-04, 11:54
Charlie

What a lovely post and I am delighted with your achievements. I remember when you first came to the message forum and we had that mix up in posts when you did something simple and I congratulated you on it - do you remember? [8D]

You have come a long way and it is lovely for me to see how people progress on this forum. Look at Liz (Stimpy) she is another success story.

You can only get better from here and I am sure that in time you (like me, I hope) will be back on that plane jet-setting off on holiday again.

I agree about the HARD work and I have always told people that it takes time, patience and perseverance to get better. You can't just go to CBT and be cured - they give you things to do and you HAVE to work at them.[:0]:(

So, well done to you mate - you are a star.:):D[:p]

xx

Nicola

kate
09-04-04, 16:20
Hiya Charlie,

I am so pleased that you are feeling so much better!!!

You have achieved a lot and have shown that through hard work and perserverance this CAN be overcome.

Charlie, I always look forward to reading your posts, they always make me laugh out loud!

Thanks for cheering me up on a regular basis and once again, well done.

Take care

Kate x

lilac kitten
09-04-04, 21:53
Charlie,

I actually think your post is very inspirational, and I am totally able to relate to it.

Well done I say, not only are you positive, and have made major achievements, but each post like this one is inspiring to the rest of us, belive me.

Have a good Easter,
Ruth
x

sadie
09-04-04, 22:23
Hi Charlie,

I am so pleased for you that you are finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

It must be a great feeling too actually accomplish something you never thought you could.

Its only upwards and onwards for you from now on!!

Keep us posted on your success story.

Take care

sadie

sarah
10-04-04, 00:41
hiya Charlie

Thanks for sharing you great story and insight into how good advice can work if taken seriously.
Im gonna take a leaf out of your book and really push myself to do better. Im so nearly there but it still sometimes seems so far...you have inspired me so thanks :)

Funny how us panickers have different things we cant do eh? I can go on a plane (not happily but I can manage it) and you say NO WAY, and yet you work and stay over others houses which is something im in no way ready for. Mad innit?

Thanks again Charlie

love Sarah
xx

kizzy
10-04-04, 17:11
Well done Charlie,its nice to hear some good news.

love kiz

Laurie28
13-04-04, 13:54
Charlie,

I liked your post!!! You know how much we all think of you around here.

Nothing major has happened to me to say I am getting better but the other day I was having a little think whilst driving and realized I was starting to get better. my wee boy was one the other day and for about 8 months my anxiety really peaked and I was a state. Anyway I haven't had a panic attack in a long time (a couple of months i think - touch wood!) and even though I avoid some things there are others that I can face head on!

Anyway I think you are doing great. Always keep your sense of humour Charlie!!

Onwards and Upwards eh!!!

Love
Lucky

Meg
13-04-04, 21:35
It is a very long hard road to recovery from panic and anxiety but Charlie is right , it is doable.

The results are a direct reflection of what effort you put in.

We all came to panic in different ways and there is no doubt now there is a genetic predisposition for some, but this does not mean the possibility of recovery is less. For others it is overload, for others chronic built up habits, drugs and numerous other ways too .

Like any other illness , once you've got a weakness, it will be the thing that pops up when life is difficult or you are tired - your achilles heel if you like, but it is manageable and it is possible to improve enough to really not have it standing, staring you in your face every day.

In our society we expect to be able to take something that cures us like we do for an infection or have an operation but that is not the case here. We need to do the work and it is often a multifaceted and lengthy approach depnding on how affected you have become.

Many people on this site have improved so much and it's really great to see the progress slowly over time, reading often between the lines and the emails that Nic and I get.

Charlie has been with us for some months now and I really want to commend her on her dedication and determination on mastering this.

Meg

stimpy
14-04-04, 00:30
Well Done Charlie !

Wonderful news.

It's great that you are starting to feel better.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

Lottie32
17-04-04, 19:52
Can I also just say that the top help, support and general good advice I have got from everybody on this site really does help so much!!!!1

By no means am I there yet, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, have turned the corner ..... or what other cliche you want to use.

You've all been so good, but I would particulary like to thank Meg, Nicola, Sadie, Sarah and Lucky (in no particular order of merit) for, well just being there really. Oh and of course Kate and Diana too.

There are so many of you that sometimes its hard to remember you all.

I'm not being negative either - but I hope you are all still going to be there for me as I continue to climb my own personal mountain

(God that sounded so American oscar speech!!! But I'm sure you know what I mean)

Lots of love Charlie

p.s Diana - sorry about yet another american comment - but you are too sensible to be a true yank (LOL) x

Charlie

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

nomorepanic
18-04-04, 13:40
Charlie

You are more than welcome.

You make me laugh and you are an asset to the forum too, so thanks to you too.

We will always be there for you ok?

Nicola