PDA

View Full Version : GCSE panic advice please

giddy
11-05-06, 16:34
Hello
I'm writing on behalf of a friend who is very worried about her daughter who is due to sit her GCSEs shortly. Her daughter has started having panic attacks thinking about exams, she is panicing in class and having to leave, she cries over the slightest thing and isn't sleeping.
I was hoping someone who has maybe been in this situation could offer some advice to help them both get through this horrible time.
Thanks
Love Helen

Hannahlou84
11-05-06, 16:52
I think the most important thing here is perspective.

The best thing your friend can do for her daughter is reassure of how insignificant exams are in terms of life, really. It would also be good if she could get a lot of encouragement in the sense that her mum tells her it doesn't matter how she does as long as she does her best etc.

GCSEs can be retaken if they get messed up. That's what my teachers told me to keep me going, you can go to college and do the lot, or the ones you need, again, and many people do this.

Is she sure it is just the exams upsetting her at school? If it is then regular breaks and treats for revision are good.

I cracked up quite majorally just before I had to do my exams- and one of my teachers explained to me that I had "over-revised" and needed a break- and a weekend away from it, just shopping/cinema whatver did me the world of good. I also limited the amount of time I spent revising- if she can get all of the subjects into key topics, areas, and then points, she will find she knows a lot more than she thought- and at this stage it will be more beneficial to look at the small details in areas she is not sure of, and the broader picture in others.

A lot of teenagers (mainly girls) get like this about exams- and the important thing as I've mentioned is her mother's support regardless, and maybe looking into the future at what she needs to do next, if she is attaining these grades in mocks etc- and if not and that is what's panicking her, then look at alternative routes with her for after this year...

Hope this helps a little.

Good luck to her,

Hannah x

"I just wanna live my life sedated, cos I love driving myself away"

marie ross
11-05-06, 16:54
Hi Helen,

Sorry about your friends daughter, it's such a shame that she has to go through all of this at such a young age. My two children are still at primary school, and my daughter aged 9, is going through similar symtoms, at the moment shes sitting her SATS, and she has been non-stop crying and worrying. She has'nt been sleeping and she flies off the handle for no reason at all. I think its disgusting that they put so much pressure on such young children to do well in exams and it breaks my heart to see her so upset by this all, and she has'nt even reached secondary school yet. All i can say about this, is that she just tries her best, and that you'll be so proud of her for trying so hard. Sorry i can't be more help, and i really hope that she gets through it all.

Marie XXX

JodieM
11-05-06, 17:21
I had panic attacks every night before my exams and I'm sure with a clearer frame of mind and a better nights sleep I could've done better.

My advice is that your friend and her daughter lets the school know of her difficulties and they will be in a position to ease some of the pressure.

It may also be worth getting some advice from a GP and see if they can recommend anything.

x

Keitharcher
11-05-06, 20:12
Hi Helen

First let me say this is common, its not panic attacks its not anything other than exam nerves. The best thing that could be done is to have a word with the form teacher and then the parents and the teacher can try to put the examinations into perspective. On no account tell the student that they will get over it and they need to be on top form for the examination, this kind of pressure the student can do without. The only real way is to convince the student that taking the exam is simply another test, just like all te other tests that shes been taking throughout her whole education, the difference is this ones not marked by her school. Do not let her listen to the media blowing up everything out of proportion, and on no account feed her government propagagnda. A tip you could use is that GCSE's are designed to help the student pass an exam not to trip them up. Also remind her that she is walking into the exam with x marks from coursework before she even sits at a desk. Whatever it takes to take the presurre off, one source of pressurethat is very hard to control is peer pressure, play it down if its negative. PArent s and friends must be matter of fact about the exams, the time to get the pride for the student achievemnet in the exams is afterwards. on no account load the student with to many expectations, so shes predicited a C in a subject, thats all it is a prediction. Its an hard one it just will take a lot of attention diverting and a lot of understanding, but she should get through them allright.

Keith

giddy
11-05-06, 22:05
Hi everyone - thanks for your replies, I'm going to print them off and show them to my friend. Keith, she is having panic attacks, she described the symptoms to me. Hopefully when the exams are over the panic will go. Her doctor wasn't all that helpful, just took her off the pill (she was on for medical reasons), so on top of everything else she has to deal with heavy, painful periods.
Thanks again for your kind words, I'll pass them on
Love Helen

scoobygirl2005
14-05-06, 15:26
Hi Giddy.

I had exams last year and I was having panic attacks too, I asked if I could do my exams in a seperate room on my own or either in a room where there was about another 8 students with me too. I don't know if this would help but perhaps its worth suggesting that and your friends daughter may feel a little better if she was in a smaller group of people while doing her exams. Has she explained to her teacher how she feels? As that may help. Keep smiling.

Scooby2005
x x

giddy
14-05-06, 19:40
Thanks Scooby - she is meeting her tutor and LM tomorrow to talk things through - hopefully that'll make her feel a little better.
Love Helen