PDA

View Full Version : Please read...

kittykat22
24-08-11, 19:41
Hi,

This post is mainly aimed at people who suffer from really bad constant anxiety...

I'm just wondering how long you have suffered with anxiety for? Does it come and go or is pretty much 24/7?

I seem to have had constant anxiety for the past 6 or 7 weeks and have been to the doctor several times.

I dont want to take any medication at the moment as i'd rather try to get back to my normal self without the help of meds.

But today at the doctors he said to me maybe i should think about trying something as its not good to be this anxious all the time.

I didnt really get what he meant and now im thinking that constant anxiety is dangerous and could harm me in some way?

Please help :(

xx

bottleblond
24-08-11, 20:08
Hi Kitty

I think what your doctor means is, you're not really having much quality to your life at the moment as you are constantly anxious.

Anxiety differs in severity i think depending on the situation we are in at the time. Like, was there a reason you became anxious all those weeks ago or did it just come on suddenly ect.

Either way, please don't be alarmed as i am sure your gp didn't mean to scare you.

Lisa
xx
:hugs:

kittykat22
25-08-11, 13:18
Bump

Worried_Male
25-08-11, 13:24
Stop over thinking and over analysing everything the doctor says. I'm sure what he meant is it's not good to live your life with constant anxiety.

kinnygirl1
25-08-11, 13:29
Hi Kittykat

I have been suffering intensely for about the last 4 months. It started with a panic attack on a bus which I thought was a heart problem. Gradully built up from there to the point where I was constantly worried about my heart to the point where I can't even work. I do feel (fingers crossed) that I am on the way up again now though. Am on some meds ( for about the last 6 weeks) and gradually finding that am less and less preoccupied with my heart anxiety.

I agree with bottleblond that your doc probably meant that it is spoiling your quality of life to be so anxious and that you should consider some help to break this cycle. It is well documented that the symptons of anxiety whilst horrible cannot hurt you. We just have to believe it!

Kinnygirl x

kittykat22
25-08-11, 13:59
Hi kinnygirl,

Thanks for your help, can I ask what medication you are on? Do you get any major side effects?

X

kinnygirl1
25-08-11, 18:19
Hi ya kittykat

I am on fluoxetine 20mg a day. Had a few side effects (headaches, nausea and a little trouble sleeping) in the first couple of weeks but stuck with it and they have completely subsided now. I know it doesn't work for everyone and there are definately other ways to cope with anxiety, but it I do think it has helped me.

Good Luck

x

debs71
25-08-11, 18:55
I agree with bottleblond kittykat.

I think what your doctor is saying is that you must have very little quality of life living with anxiety day in day out as it does limit much of what we are able to do as we spend 24/7 fearful, or what we do do takes A LOT to be able to get out and do it.

Please do reconsider meds. I know how you feel. I was adamant that I would not take a chemical to feel better when I was first diagnosed with depression but my panic attacks scared me so much that I caved in. I also had one to one counselling which was excellent. I was also of the opinion that I could get back to normal without them, but frankly, I couldn't no matter how I tried.

It is not worth suffering for the sake of a fear or reluctance to take meds.

SSRI's are excellent and not as harsh as some other meds. I have always taken Cipralex. Yes, they have side effects(all meds do) when you first start them, but after that it is pretty much plain sailing (in my experience at least)

I hope things get better for you soon.xxx:bighug1: