PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety

jude uk
24-08-11, 19:44
“Anxiety occurs because of a threat to the values a person identifies with his existence as a self ... most anxiety comes from a threat to social, emotional and moral values the person identifies with himself. And here we find that a main source of anxiety, particularly in the younger generation, is that they do not have viable values available in the culture on the basis of which they can relate to their world. The anxiety which is inescapable in an age in which values are so radically in transition is a central cause of apathy ... such prolonged anxiety tends to develop into lack of feeling and the experience of depersonalization.”

debs71
24-08-11, 20:00
I do feel that that quote is all a bit, dare I say it, airy-fairy, fancy shmancy IMO.

'...particularly in the younger generation, is that they do not have viable values available in the culture on the basis of which they can relate to the world.'

I don't understand that sentence at all. I don't really think it relates to the mental condition of anxiety either. But that's just my opinion.

I just don't think that anxiety can be explained like that. I think it stems from life experiences, nature/nurture and a whole host of things.

Mine was a combination - nature/nurture - I was shy all through childhood, and wrapped up in cotton wool because of that, so I didn't have to face a lot of things. (not that I blame anyone. My parents are wonderful)

Life experiences - 2 bad relationships where I was left heartbroken, death of someone close to me, a traumatic illness without a resolution where I could not work which spiralled into depression first, then anxiety and panic.

Maybe it is my perception of that quote, but it appears to be pointing the finger at a kind of social apathy for anxiety, and a lack of values, or belonging.

I don't get it. :shrug:

Tyke
24-08-11, 23:44
Yeah, I must admit I struggled to get my head round this one. Whereabouts did you get this from Jude, or are you talking about your observations personally?