PDA

View Full Version : Is constant anxiety harmful?

kittykat22
24-08-11, 23:34
Please can someone help me understand something?

Is constant anxiety harmful?

I've had these feelings for about 7 weeks with no real breaks in-between and I'm worried it could be harmful to me as it's gone on for some time?

Does anyone have any advise?

X

Gemma T
24-08-11, 23:45
Without anxiety we could not function as human beings. Please dont start worrying about worrying x x x

evil monkey
25-08-11, 18:15
Here's non medical approved stuff.

when the body is under stress (anxiety/exercise) it produces cortisol, which is a bit like a rev limiter. a rev limiter is to stop you overdoing it, but if you are constantly hitting the rev limiter, well. its not fantastic.

Personally, i find a bit of long, non strenous exercise good, which blows the cob webs out, gets the blood going round the body, and is generally fairly helpful. usually after going for a bit of a bike ride or something you know you feel a bit better :)

Em.ma
25-08-11, 18:19
Hi. No its not harmful as i doubt a lot of us would be here now lol :)

ronski
25-08-11, 18:45
Yes Kitty long term anxiety is harmful to the body, Cortisol, nor adrenaline and adrenaline are all stress hormones and are toxic to the body. One condition linked to long term stress and anxiety is ME/CFS due to amygdala sensitisation. Another is Dysautomonia which is a out of balance autonomic nervous system, primarily sympathetic but can be parasympathetic dominance. Heart disease is usually the result of lifestyles adopted by the anxiety sufferer such as smoking, drinking or excess eating.
The difference between stress and anxiety is a common question and one that helps answer the question. Stress is short-lived, anxiety is stress that persists and causes the body to react with somatic symptoms.It is these somatic symptoms that show the sensitised nervous system which long term can affect the body but is reversible with appropriate therapy such as guided meditation, Mindfulness, CBT.

Nelisthan
26-08-11, 02:17
There is absolutely no doubt that Constant anxiety is harmful for because it effects mind from inner and continue to do this for the long time that is why it harmful .

Magic
26-08-11, 15:47
I agree with the last two posts. Nothing more I can add.

kittykat22
26-08-11, 18:12
I'm really worried now :( in what ways do you mean? X

s11fyx
26-08-11, 18:22
Yeh it is if over long term years and years it can cause alot of problems just like stress can. It can also cause adrenal fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome

Em.ma
26-08-11, 18:28
Im confused by the replies. and i have to say they have made me more anxious to. lol. so i can understand were you are coming from Kitty

LaNae
26-08-11, 19:41
Long-term anxiety and stress are of course harmful to the body- they are negative emotions.

But what you cannot control you cannot control. If you have an anxiety disorder don't beat yourself up over it. If there are times when you can choose between feeling neutral and calm or feeling stressed and scared then of course make the right choice. But if like me you have anxious emotions uncontrollably and unwillingly spewing everywhere then you don't have that choice, so let the guilt go.

All you can do is find out ways to fight it. Right now I'm looking into the ways in which nutrition can impact our mental health. For instance: http://www.forbes.com/sites/michaelellsberg/2011/07/18/how-i-overcame-bipolar-ii/

Look into natural solutions. I like aromatherapy- the smell of lavender oil immediately helps me. Notice what things decrease your anxiety, even if it's just by an iota. Look after yourself, love and accept yourself FULLY, even though you don't want to be like this, you wish you were stronger- let go of what you cannot change.

I read a quote today: "The best way to predict the future is to create it." In every tiny area you can create an improvement, go for it. Ignore the areas you can't, they are not your responsibility.

Another good link: http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/anxiety.html

And this: http://positivethinkinguniversity.com/

xxx

Em.ma
26-08-11, 19:46
so are people saying anxiety can cause things like heart disease etc. im very confused by the replies

ronski
26-08-11, 19:53
Stress and anxiety do not cause heart disease directly, people with stress tend to distract with unhealthy lifestyle choices such as smoking, drinking, eating to excess which as you know predisposes you to a higher risk of diabetes type 2, stroke and cardiovascular disease.
The reason why anxiety is not good for you long term is that it sensitises the nervous system and can cause an autonomic overload due to the toxic effect of the stress hormones. You can also get some form of adrenal fatigue because of overproduction of cortisol, adrenaline and nor adrenaline.
What you must get clear in your mind though that it is impossible to get rid of anxiety only to lower the sensitivity of the nervous system.

s11fyx
26-08-11, 20:26
Long term stress is a contributing factor to heart disease mixed with other things

I've been told I had m.e but it only flares when I'm stressed and anxious do we now think it's adrenal fatigue which is very much like m.e

ronski
26-08-11, 21:27
s11fyx it sounds more like autonomic overload a condition that can give you Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. In old fashioned speech a stressed nervous system.