PDA

View Full Version : For us health anxiety people, buy this book!

reddevil
11-05-06, 21:32
Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to suggest a book but I was hoping to catch all health anxiety sufferers.

I purchased the following book after it was suggested to me on one of my threads.

DR CLAIRE WEEKS - SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES

I suffer from health anxiety and this book describes me from head to toe.

The book is very simple to pick up and read and I'm finding sections in the book which I keep reading to myself over and over, which I'm
It was £7.99 but I got it a little cheaper of www.play.com

To me it's worth the money and will be my bible for many weeks to come.

I would also like to praise this website and the people who reply, very helpful and gets me through troubled times.

Tony

nomorepanic
11-05-06, 22:07
It is on the recommended reading list here....

Reading for sufferers of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD. (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=reading)

Nicola

Daisybun
11-05-06, 22:50
Yep I have read this book too and it really helped. On tuesday after a particularly bad couple of week so f anic and worry about health i just remembered what she said about acceptance and calm. I just strated to realise that all the feelings and symptoms i was getting was anxiety and that they will pass in time. the last two days i have felt a lot calmer just knowing that that is 'all it is ' lol

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

marie ross
11-05-06, 23:38
Hi,

I've heard a lot about Claire Weeks since i've joined this site. I've ordered a couple of books of the internet about panic attacks/panic disorder and to be honest they did'nt help me one bit and i could'nt even tell you what their titles were. Would it be worth buying her book for someone with a panic disorder who's too scared to leave the house!!!! Is she really that good????

Marie XXX

Daisybun
12-05-06, 09:33
I found it very helpful and what she said made a lot of sense. You just have to be committed to it, just like you do to any training programme but it is worth it.

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

katies
12-05-06, 09:42
Hi

Claire Weeks's books are great and are by my bed all the time and I refer to them almost dialy. I also really enjoyed her CD on Nervous Fatigue which helps you understand why we feel so poorly with this illness.

Well worth the purchase. Got mine on ebay x

dorabella
12-05-06, 09:50
Self help for Your Nerves and its sister books have been my bibles for ther last 12 years. I call them a neurotic's truss - a constant source of comfort and support!!!

hayles
12-05-06, 10:42
Just Brought it, looking forward to having a go!

Hay x

Trev
12-05-06, 12:25
Claire Weekes should be on the school curriculum!!
More useful than how to solve a quadratic equation. :D

She helped turn the tide for me.

Graham
12-05-06, 12:30
This is a fantastic book.

My Mother gave me a copy of this book. It's a first edition dated 1962! It was her original copy she bought when she was going through problems.

It's a great book and really easy to read. I've had it for years and it's a great comfort when you're feeling bogged down with everything again.

Graham.

~~~ It is a poor heart, and a poorer age, that cannot accept the conditions of life with some heroic readiness. RLS. ~~~

jackie
12-05-06, 21:43
trev you are so right . i bought this book over 2 years ago and have gave my copy away and always bought it cagain. it is really that invaluable

everyone should hav eit. i recently gave ti to my gp and he says all junior doctors should read it and that he will never treat people with nervous problems the same way again. he simply had no idea this is the torture they went though

jackie

giddy
13-05-06, 08:13
Hi - her books are great - reading self help marked a turning point for me - it took away all the fear I was experiencing from the symptoms.
Love Helen