PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety centred on pets

Trixie
25-08-11, 19:27
I am not anxious about anything only the welfare of my pets. That is not saying I don't care about anything or anyone else but my anxiety is definitely centred on them.

My daughter suffers from mental health problems and I am her carer, I have a mengioma, I am on my own (my ex left me and then died) I am registered disabled but my biggest worry is my cats health.

Anyone else feel the same?

ronski
25-08-11, 19:39
Trixie you certainly have had your cross to bear with your own health and your daughters issues as well. Your meningioma is a benign growth in the brain but not without it's problems so I can understand your disablement issues. Your cats health obviously is a concern, we have a dog and I worry about her when she is ill as she is one of the family.
Try and put your concerns in context but I expect you are using the cat as a normal distraction to your own health and your family responsibilities.
You are obviously a very caring and loving person so you must not be hard on yourself with the restrictions that your health issues give you.
Just enjoy yourself and use mindfulness to stop the excessive worrying, live in the moment and just enjoy without worrying what is around the corner health wise with your cat.

Trixie
26-08-11, 07:23
Trixie you certainly have had your cross to bear with your own health and your daughters issues as well. Your meningioma is a benign growth in the brain but not without it's problems so I can understand your disablement issues. Your cats health obviously is a concern, we have a dog and I worry about her when she is ill as she is one of the family.
Try and put your concerns in context but I expect you are using the cat as a normal distraction to your own health and your family responsibilities.
You are obviously a very caring and loving person so you must not be hard on yourself with the restrictions that your health issues give you.
Just enjoy yourself and use mindfulness to stop the excessive worrying, live in the moment and just enjoy without worrying what is around the corner health wise with your cat.

I think also as a trained nurse I can cope with human illnesses (my mother had a coronary when I was 9 so I have been surrounded in it all my life).

When it comes to my pets I am out of my depth and can't be rational and get in a panic if they are ill as I don't know what to do about it.

ElizabethJane
26-08-11, 07:53
It might be an idea to look at getting some pet insurance for the cat that way when the vets bills come and they will come you will be in a better position to cope with ithem.I have a 'special' relationship with my cat too but relationships with other individuals would always take precedence over the cat. EJ