PDA

View Full Version : fed up with therapy!

Sootica
25-08-11, 22:28
Hi, I posted before but am still really fed up with the NHS therapist i'm seeing, I really appreciate how lucky i am to be getting any help and how over stretched NHS mental health services are, but I've tried talking to my therapist about her 'style' and it's like we just disagree....some days I do okay, but then I'll have a week where I self harm and I could really do with a decent therapy experience and not a battle of wills....
It's like she wants me to do ALL the work, and ALL the figuring out myself and while I get that she can't TELL me what to do I have never ever been to such a passive disinterested therapist. I really don't think she'd give a crap if I threw myself under a bus, she's that removed.
I don't want her to be a hippy earth mother, but she never has any constructive observations, always so predictable and like something out of a psychology text book.
I just don't know what to do, if I quit I wont get any help at all.
If I carry on, am I taking the place of someone who would get on with her and appreciate it better.....?
I feel so isolated when I get down....I want a bit of constructive observation not passive silence and i've given up trying to get her to compromise....:weep:

yvonne_uk_98
29-08-11, 16:39
Hi, I posted before but am still really fed up with the NHS therapist i'm seeing, I really appreciate how lucky i am to be getting any help and how over stretched NHS mental health services are, but I've tried talking to my therapist about her 'style' and it's like we just disagree....some days I do okay, but then I'll have a week where I self harm and I could really do with a decent therapy experience and not a battle of wills....
It's like she wants me to do ALL the work, and ALL the figuring out myself and while I get that she can't TELL me what to do I have never ever been to such a passive disinterested therapist. I really don't think she'd give a crap if I threw myself under a bus, she's that removed.
I don't want her to be a hippy earth mother, but she never has any constructive observations, always so predictable and like something out of a psychology text book.
I just don't know what to do, if I quit I wont get any help at all.
If I carry on, am I taking the place of someone who would get on with her and appreciate it better.....?
I feel so isolated when I get down....I want a bit of constructive observation not passive silence and i've given up trying to get her to compromise....:weep:

Hi Scootia,

I'm so sorry your going through such a hard time with your counselor, you can ask for someone else. if it helps any why dont you keep posting on here. I'll pm you. let us know how you are doing each day, you will get support and help here too.

Yvonne

lenore
30-08-11, 21:09
Hi Sootica. I agree with Yvonne, it might be the right move to ask to see somebody else if it's making you this low.

I was originally in group therapy and hated it. I decided I just wouldn't go back but luckily the head of the department asked me to come in for a meeting with her and I was offered one on one therapy which is the best thing that ever happened to me, mental health wise. So it's definitely worth seeing if there's anything else available :)

Great name, by the way. Gobbolino's sister? :D

Sootica
03-09-11, 21:46
Heya thanks for replies, yes Gobolinos sister, is one of my favourite books along with the worst witch stories :D We actually have brother and sister cats from my aunty, and although with different names...they turned out to be very like gobolino and sootica - he loves sleeping by the fire and having his tummy tickled and she likes to be out all weathers and sit alone in dark cupboards! Both very sweet though...