PDA

View Full Version : Hi/my story.

mrpanic
25-08-11, 22:30
Hi everyone. I'll make my story short.
I'm 32.
At 22 I went to France on a plane to work there. Basically the job fell through, i went 100 hours without sleep trying to get home from the centre of France facing train delays, crazy taxis, and a plane which (on the return to the uk) almost crashed. (Problem with the wing and LOTS of turbulence). When I got home I was so tired and ill I couldnt sleep, i fell into deep dark panic for about 4 months where i slept almost ALL that time because I couldnt bear to be awake.
However, I got over it. It was very hard to do. Basically I just woke up one day and said 'right thats it, never again will i panic' and started to live a happier life...Quite amazing really.
Anyway, Im 32 now. At age 29 i started having terrible panics in a car or bus. I went a walk one day up the hills and had a terrible panic attack, i really didnt think i would make it home i was in a terrible state. My throat as the worst, it would cease up in cars or out walks, i would panic like mad and need water with me all the time (everywhere i went)...even then i was still choking it down. When i was up the hill that day i had no water and had to resort to wetting my mouth with muddy puddles...my mouth was dry as a bone...Just terrible, crushing fear, a feeling of pure dread.
I went to doctors, they gave me cds to listen to to relax me, offered me drugs, but they were no help. My psychologist failed to turn up on two occassions and she said "weve never had anyone like YOU before", making me feel like a right freak. She said there was help for me in the next city (10 miles away) and complained when i said i couldnt travel that far! (I HAVE A TRAVEL PHOBIA!!!!) I reminded her. I claimed sickness benefit but eventually they said there was nothing wrong with me so was forced onto JSA (who also complain because i tell them i cant travel). Thanks to our clever new prime minister I also have to start a course soon which is 10 miles away for 2 years to find a job...I just cant do it...I cant find anyone who can help or who understands just doctors that dont show up, dont sympathize, give me useless advice etc...SO....noone has been much help so far. Im in a situation in my life now where i really NEED to get these panic attacks under control. Some days are good, some are bad...But i want to get rid of these for good. I cant wait to read everyones stories and hopefully find some real help on here from people who may understand what this is like. :)

nomorepanic
25-08-11, 22:32
Hi mrpanic

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

mrpanic
25-08-11, 22:32
Thank you! :)

eight days a week
25-08-11, 22:52
A heartfelt 'welcome' from me too mrpanic, and thanks for sharing your story so openly and honestly with us :)

More to say, but I was just off to bed, so will try to write tomorrow.

Best wishes to you for now, have a great time chatting and posting on the site - many of us know just how you feel!! :)

mrpanic
25-08-11, 22:54
Thanks a lot

paulhem
25-08-11, 23:46
Its a struggle but you will get better. Trust me.

Belief is the key.

mizfiesta
26-08-11, 09:31
Mr Panic, welcome to the site. You are not alone. Most, if not all of your experiences, I can relate to. I've been suffering a relapse in my symptoms after being pretty much able to lead a normal existence within a boundary of 10 - 20 miles but lately I can hardly walk 100 yards without panicking. If you read some of my past threads you'll see I've many of the same problems with regard to travel. There are many people on this site with similar issues. I hope you find the site supportive.

:welcome:

M155anthr0p3
26-08-11, 12:08
Hi mrpanic,

No more panic for you now you're here!

We have good & bad days, even when we "recover" so don't lose heart.

Emily.

mrpanic
26-08-11, 12:30
Thanks everyone, I look forward to reading all your stories etc when time permits. I'm kind of at the stage now when I've stopped believing that anything can help and the panics will just eventually go away by themselves when the time comes...I'd like to think that isn't true, but I've tried so many things over the years and very little helps. If I'm honest I think in my case it might be some kind of depressive illness that's deep rooted that just kind of 'gets me' when I'm all by myself and 'trapped' on a train or bus or car or anytime I'm alone. It's a horrible thing lol.

venusbluejeans
27-08-11, 02:49
Hiya and welcome to NMP I hope you find the help and advice here and maybe make a few friends in the process

mrpanic
28-08-11, 15:44
Hiya and welcome to NMP I hope you find the help and advice here and maybe make a few friends in the process

Thank you! :yahoo:

Gemmylou
29-08-11, 12:40
Hi there,

How are you doing?

The problem with anxiety and panic attacks is its hard to get the help we so desperately need, I guess thats why its so easy to become isolated and depressed. I'm afraid I'm not really able to say I know how you feel as I suffer more with anxiety than panic attacks. This year has been particularly bad for me it just doesn't seem to get any better. I split with me boyfriend in January and have gone down hill ever since. I feel as though I'm haunted with thoughts of him but there isn't a switch to turn your brain off. Yesterday was a particularly bad day and today isn't great I'm trying to keep my mind off the past but it isn't easy. Still I go to work in an hour and maybe that will help for a short time.

mrpanic
29-08-11, 13:23
Hi there,

How are you doing?

The problem with anxiety and panic attacks is its hard to get the help we so desperately need, I guess thats why its so easy to become isolated and depressed. I'm afraid I'm not really able to say I know how you feel as I suffer more with anxiety than panic attacks. This year has been particularly bad for me it just doesn't seem to get any better. I split with me boyfriend in January and have gone down hill ever since. I feel as though I'm haunted with thoughts of him but there isn't a switch to turn your brain off. Yesterday was a particularly bad day and today isn't great I'm trying to keep my mind off the past but it isn't easy. Still I go to work in an hour and maybe that will help for a short time.

Ive been getting a lot better recently. thanks for your support. I wish you well. Breakups can be really hard. :bighug1:

Darcey
01-09-11, 11:14
Hi mrpanic. Im very new to this site aswell so welcome and i hope you find some help and comfort within nmp. The symptoms you describe sound very familiar. I cant go anywhere these days without a bottle of water and i totally panic if i dont have any. My throat feels like it closes up and my chest and neck go really tight, dry mouth and shaking so i totally sympathise. I also struggle to go far from home or familiar places... i often have a panic attack whilst driving or walking in open spaces alone.(i have found that listening to my fav music on my phone helps a little) I am really shocked to read about the total lack of help from your gp and pyscologist. I am on a waiting list to see a councellor but also do CBT on the side, so this may be worth looking into? I have just started a local course on low mood and anxiety, which is hard but kind of nice meeting people in a similar situation to me, are there any such courses in your area? Its so hard to motivate yourself when you feel so low and frightened, its a total mind over matter, like when doctors say... if you trick your mind into believing your are happy and calm you will actually become happy and calm.??? hmmmm worth a try though :-) Take care and hope things get better for you real soon. Darcey :winks: x

mrpanic
06-09-11, 17:45
Hi mrpanic. Im very new to this site aswell so welcome and i hope you find some help and comfort within nmp. The symptoms you describe sound very familiar. I cant go anywhere these days without a bottle of water and i totally panic if i dont have any. My throat feels like it closes up and my chest and neck go really tight, dry mouth and shaking so i totally sympathise. I also struggle to go far from home or familiar places... i often have a panic attack whilst driving or walking in open spaces alone.(i have found that listening to my fav music on my phone helps a little) I am really shocked to read about the total lack of help from your gp and pyscologist. I am on a waiting list to see a councellor but also do CBT on the side, so this may be worth looking into? I have just started a local course on low mood and anxiety, which is hard but kind of nice meeting people in a similar situation to me, are there any such courses in your area? Its so hard to motivate yourself when you feel so low and frightened, its a total mind over matter, like when doctors say... if you trick your mind into believing your are happy and calm you will actually become happy and calm.??? hmmmm worth a try though :-) Take care and hope things get better for you real soon. Darcey :winks: x

Hi thank you. Im actually 100% fine now, no problems at all. Hopefully they wont ever come back.

cathycrumble
06-09-11, 18:01
Hi thank you. Im actually 100% fine now, no problems at all. Hopefully they wont ever come back.

Hi Mr panic

Glad to hear you're a 100% bril.

Howeve, Just thought this may help as it is helping me it's Claire weeks tapes she talks about panic attacks and how to deal with them good luck. just incase you may have another.

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html#HowToRecover

Cathy xx :)