PDA

View Full Version : Severe Constipation!!

MVP123
27-08-11, 11:42
I am so miserable at the moment, just need to know I am not the only one (selfish as that maybe sorry). I have always suffered with a bit of constipation ever since I abused laxatives 20 years ago, but never to this extreme :-( I have had it really bad for more than a week now, I have only been having small rabbit type droppings! The doc prescribed me some fybergel, but that seems to have made me even more blocked up. Its affecting my bladder as well, as I feel the pressure all the time to go for a wee, and it feels irritated down there. I feel so heavy and sluggish and it has started to become quite painful. I have also had acid reflux and it feels like there is a lump in my esophagus! Does constipation make all this worse, and just wondering if that is where all my symptoms are stemming from at the moment. And what happens if I still can't go for ages, could I literally explode from inside or get a perforated bowel or something. I feel so crappy at the moment, any peeps out there wiv similar probs at the moment, and any advice would be greatly appreciated x

relika
27-08-11, 13:20
I suffer from a bit of constipation myself as well. My GP said that I should eat more fibres so I am trying to incorporate that into my diet. At the moment it is going quite well, I can go every day or two. Also, stressing about the fact that you can't go makes it worse, is my experience. Although it is hard not to think about it when you can't go.

I wouldn't worry about exploding from the inside, as long as you still have bowel movements it should be ok. Have you tried taking a long walk, swim, etc? Getting exercise is good for getting things going. Also what helps me is drinking a glass of lukewarm water on an empty stomach. And eating fruit, like plums, and dairy products like yoghurt. And cooking a dish using a fair amount of olive oil.

If you're worried, or don't feel well at all, just go back to your GP and say that the fibregel isn't working. Perhaps he can prescribe you something else. I remember when I was on holiday I couldn't go for more then a week and the doctor there gave me a strong laxative that was used before people get a colonoscopy to make your bowels empty. Didn't work for me, crazy, huh?

I hope you will get relief soon :hugs:

suzy-sue
27-08-11, 13:26
Syrup of figs is good ..You may be dehydrated and stools come out dry and small when you are .Drink lots of water and orange /fruit juice ..It will come out in the end .Maybe a nice hot curry will get it moving ..works for a lot of people ..Sue x

MVP123
27-08-11, 17:25
Hi Guyz, thanx loads for your replies. It seems I have tried most things! I am actually starting to panic now cause my stomach is really starting to hurt, and I have got terrible gas, that seems trapped and wen it does come out it is really offensive smelling TMI sorry guyz. It actually feels like my bowel is burning and it is pushing acid up, its so horrible I just want it to stop, my back has started hurting as well, so fed up :-(

Trixie
27-08-11, 17:29
Every morning at 6 am I go to the loo (sometime it is 7 am but no later) I have gone at the same time for over 30 years. My bowel knows that it needs to do a bit of work at this time of day. I think it is possible to train the bowel to go at the same time every day. It takes perseverance but it can be done.:yesyes:

violet33
27-08-11, 18:02
the suggestion of olive oil is a good one, or also possibly mineral oil. acts as a lubricant, and may very well bring relief. good luck.

Diva
27-08-11, 21:51
Hi there
I have suffered from constipation all my life, it runs in the female side of my family. I tried the fybergel about 20 odd years ago and it didn't work for me. Constipation also makes my urinary issues worse so you're not alone.

Two things work for me: Holland & Barrett Aloe Vera Colon Cleanse. I take one or two each evening and they usually keep me regular. I also keep Ortisan for emergencies, which come in solid cubes and can also be bought from Holland & Barrett they work overnight for me.

Neither give me those 'gripey' pains that conventional laxatives can cause.

I agree with the warm water trick and oil, I take EPO each day too.

Hope you get some relief soon my friend.

Elsa_Alkaseltzer
01-09-11, 04:46
I was going through the same thing until I started taking a probiotic again. I use a particular probiotic called Pearls IC. I am in the U.S., but I am sure you could get a similar product in the UK, or you could order online. A warning, though: sometimes probiotics can cause a little more gas as the body adjusts to taking them.

Ddcoo
01-09-11, 08:13
For a quick fix I use Glycerine Suppositories which work within 15 to 30 mins.

Liliana83
01-09-11, 17:15
Drink prune juice and take a daily stool softener pill..hope you feel better soon!

Are you on meds? Sometimes meds cause constipation...