PDA

View Full Version : Please Help! I don't know what's wrong with me!

DavidLang
27-08-11, 13:57
Hi All,

I really don't know what's happening to me. It all started a few weeks ago when i watched this horror movie i never should have watched! There was this disturbing scene that had an inordinate affect on me. I have since forgotten about it and no longer think about it at all, but since then i've been suffering from periods of depression and anxiety. I don't know what it is. It is like my sensitivity to thoughts have been heightened. I started to have a lot of morbid thoughts about life and death, like my age, eventually losing my parents, a disease around the corner etc. I'd think about these things for days on end. These were things I usually don't think about and had little affect on me. This was a week ago and i'm no longer thinking these thoughts as intensely now. However, over the past week, i have been suffering panic attacks at night and anxiety for no reason during the day. This is making me feel tired and miserable, to the extent that work and social life has been affected. It's also making me question my mental health. What exactly is going on with me?!!!

A few weeks ago, i considered myself healthy. There hasn't been any traumatic events in my life. I had average upbringing and I do have some social issues but nothing serious. I may have had poor mental health, as i never get enough sleep and probably take too much caffeine. I want to get on with my life and i'm constantly wonder when this hellish period will be over. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

David

d85
27-08-11, 14:46
Hi David,

I can really relate to how you've been feeling. Even before my health anxiety flared up to its current levels, I'd been having similar thoughts to yourself about losing family members, my own age etc. Perhaps that's something we all go through at some point in life... I'm not sure, but it's something I'd discussed with a close friend too as he'd been in a similar situation.

Have you been to your GP about how you've been feeling? They could suggest counselling, prescribe you some antidepressants or something like diazepam (which is a short term medication for panic attacks — it helped me), or even just be there to have a chat with. I think it's really important to have someone you can speak to, whether it be a counsellor or your GP. My GP has been really nice, and even said I'm welcome to book a regular monthly appointment to pop in and have a talk about how I'm getting on.

You might even feel better knowing that you've started to tackle your feelings. I think part of the problem is the feeling of loss of control, whereas if you're actively trying to help yourself, you regain some of that.

I'm glad you've found this board — it's helped me a lot over the last few months. Please do let us know how you get on.

suzy-sue
27-08-11, 15:06
Hi David ..it will help if you cut out the caffeine and get plenty of quality sleep .Decaff is better and not much different .Nerves need rest .Avoid processed foods and eat fresh healthy food instead ,Not too much fat .Cut out alcohol and get some excercise ,it gets rid of the excess Adrenaline Alcohol makes Anxiety worse ..Excercise helps boost your mood levels .Take a good quality Vit b complex its good for the nervous system .Take this in the morning or it can affect your sleep . Drink warm milk before bed as this helps to increase the sleep hormone and you will sleep better for it .Treat your body like you would anything else .hOW YOU TREAT IT AFFECTS EVERY PART OF YOUR WELL BEING .Above all ,try to attain a positive outlook .Nothing lasts forever ..Im sure you will feel an improvement if you do the above .It might be a good idea to read"Dr Claire weekes Self help for you nerves.".Certainly helped me .All the best T/c Sue x