PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol makes me sick?

devin42
27-08-11, 23:59
Hi, thanks for taking the time to read this.

At the moment I'm coping with panic attacks/anxiety as a whole, but there is one specific problem which I'd like to figure out.

Whenever I drink in a big social situation, I soon feel quite sick. I get quite anxious, and have to hold back throwing up...and I often do, after only perhaps 3 cans. ****ing awkward and a real smash to the ego.

I wonder, do I worry because I feel sick or is it the other way around? Let me try to explain.

There seems to be a sort of conflict between how my mind works and how people view me... I was head boy at my school, I'm lead singer in a successful(ish) band, have lots of good friends, loving family with no money issues, got great GCSE results.

I've never explained my panic/anxiety to anyone except my parents because my friends would be mystified, scared or creeped out by the weird stuff I feel from time to time. The trouble is that this means I have to internalise my panic, which I guess can make it worse sometimes. Just really strange things that can eat at me, like I'm on a balcony and I just get an irrational pang, I worry if I'll jump off etc. Can't really say things like that aloud and maintain any kind of credibility, can you?

Anyway, thoughts on the alcohol thing would be much appreciated, because I used to enjoy parties a lot, even months after the panic thing started and I could happily have 6 beers and have fun. Now I still have fun but I either feel sick, which puts a damper on it, or AM sick, which means I look like an utter **** :yahoo: and gets me down to be honest.

Cheers for taking the time out to read, comments welcomed. Ciao.

Kate21
28-08-11, 13:09
are you on any medication? as this can make you feel a bit sick at first.

I'm also struggling a bit with alcohol my medication means I don't drink as much as I get drunk quicker on it. but my anxiety is heightened for days afterwards. I still drink though. So it seems a bit hypocritical to say you should probably cut down or stop drinking for a while.
So many people on here say stopping or minimising your drinking will help alot. And deep down I think we know this it true. It's just the willpower to do it thats the problem.
Have you spoken to your doctor about your anxiety? remember going to see your gp doesn't meen you have to go on meds but they can advise you on other routes to take in dealing with it.

anyhoo good luck! x