PDA

View Full Version : Coming off (Cipralex) Escitalopram

Jackboyh
12-05-06, 19:32
Sorry if this has been posted but I've searched and can't find anything.

Been on Escitalopram for around 8 months now for anxiety and what with it all but gone the doctor feels its time to stop. They advised me to cut it flat out as opposed to slowly weaning off on a reduced dosage.

Does anyone know what side effects I shall feel due to this? The doctor warned me that I would feel weird for a few days and not to let this make me become anxious again. I can imagine after 8 months of something, suddenly cutting it off will make me feel bizarre...but maybe not? Can anyone help with this?

Cheers

Jack

Coni
12-05-06, 19:45
Hi Jack,

I came off cipralex a few months ago also after 8 months. I was on 20mg and found the best thing for me was to cut down very gradually. I went to 10mg first of all and then 5mg and then missed one day then two days gradually lengthening the time between doses. It took a while but I did it eventually.

The most troublesome symptom for me was an 'electric shock' like feeling...as if all my nerves were suddenly being zapped. But not everyone suffers from this so you may be absolutely fine.

If you do find the withdrawal effects troublesome you should go back to your GP.

Hope this helps

Coni X

Jackboyh
12-05-06, 19:50
thanks Coni

The only thing that bothers me still about stopping the meds is I am often quite prone to focusing on my heartbeat a lot this causing the palpitations

My anxiety first took shape as on a friends birthday I tried cocaine for the first and last time, I thought I was having a heart attack. Evidently not, but for months before i seeked any help I'd suffered horrendous amounts of anxiety and some agrophobia.

To cut a long story short, I know its the anxiety making my heart skip but even still, it does worry me now and then, which makes me in turn wonder if I should stop them.

But I guess I have to one day.

If I feel bad I'll go to the GPs as you say.

thanks again

Jack

nomorepanic
12-05-06, 19:55
Jack

I am concerned as to why they are not reducing it slowly and asking you to stop it suddenly. Did they offer a reason?

Nicola

Jackboyh
12-05-06, 19:57
She gave me the vibe that I'd have to make a big step sooner or later, better do it in one swoop as opposed to drawing it out 'but' i can reduce the dose etc.

It was given as an option, but she pretty much just told me to stop if that makes sense.

WILL0W
12-05-06, 20:02
Hi Jack,
I think this drug is similar to Cipramil the drug I have just recently stopped, but gradually. I think the doctor is irresponsible to rush you off them!

I have felt slightly faint and a bit depersonalised. I think it must be a side effect. I actually took one today as I felt quite down and am worried that I will get really low. I think I will continue trying to come off tomorrow though.

How do you feel off them Coni?

all the best,
willow.x

Coni
12-05-06, 21:23
Hi willow,

I'm probably not the best person to ask right now as I've hit a blip and have ended up back on antidepressants....think maybe I came off them too soon. Had been off them a few months though. So i d advise anyone to make absolutely sure they were ready before coming off.

Coni X

Coni
12-05-06, 21:24
sorry if that seemed abrupt willow....I'm having a bad night. Didnt mean to sound so short.
Sorry

Coni X

Jackboyh
17-05-06, 13:21
Not much so far, few moments of dizziness and zonning out. Biggest side effect so far is fatigue, almost like when I first started taking it.

Touchwood all will be ok, remains to be seen however...

tara
17-05-06, 14:39
I was told to come off these gradually..one every other day for a week...then one every other other for the next week and so on. You do seem to be coping well though with the way your doctor has told you hope it continues!! Let us know

Tara xx

Jackboyh
17-05-06, 17:46
I dunno Tara, there are points when I start to lose it a bit and the old feelings come back. I guess I just have to focus on the fact that its not real, its learning to live without the drugs etc.

I'm not sure if its 'de realization' or not, but I'm kinda getting a feeling I used to get a bit where it seems like I'm a person watching a film as opposed to actually being there...

tara
17-05-06, 18:16
You have a great attitude there :D keep it up !!!

As you say you can always go back to the doc's if you get a little wobbly but the positive attitude you have, I would imagine, will help you loads.

Tara xx

Jackboyh
22-05-06, 16:10
As a quick update to this one, have felt really hideous the past few days. Head aches and palpitations, my eyes feel like they're being pushed back into my skull.

Aside for that though all is fine lol...

Good luck to anyone else stopping meds

Yvonne
23-05-06, 15:47
Jack

Im sorry you're feeling so bad and I sympathise.

I have experience of being withdrawn from a medication too quickly. I won't go on about in in this mesage though.

After 8 months of being on Citalapram you should be weaning off very gradually. Your doctor is completely irresponsible and dare I say "mad" to ask you to come off it cold turkey so to speak.

Doctors do this with some meds, but usually when they are trying you with another - so that the effects of withdrawal from one are overriden by the new one.

Please phone your doctor and ask what the game is. You can see for yourself on loads of meds websites that withdrawal must not be done the way you have been advised. Go to RX List drug information, or Medline or www.crazymeds.org. You will see guidelines for withdrawal from SSRI's.

Keep us posted and take care of yourself.

Yvonne

Y Goble

solo
09-03-08, 19:16
Been off escitalopram for five days. Just stopped taking them, no gradual reduction. Was on 20mg. Been taking them for 18months. Feel full of energy, sleeping well, just the odd little electric shock feeling. Must be the right time for me. So glad i have done it as i was tired all the time and putting on weight. Tried a while ago and just got really weepy. Best of luck x

optime
31-03-10, 05:29
Do not cut it off. It is my psychiatrist who said that. Reduce slowly.

Trixie
12-07-10, 07:51
Well I was put on Cipralex about two years ago for anxiety (not health related) they really helped BUT they caused me to put on loads of weight. I decided before Christmas that I would come off them, as, to be honest, I am normally a happy go lucky extrovert.

I started by cutting one tablet in to quarters (no mean feat I can tell you) so instead of taking 15mgs I was taking about 14mgs. I took this for about a month then reduced the amount to 12.5 mgs and so on. I am now on 5mgs and soon I am going to go down to about 3.5 mgs (I hope) until eventually zero.

I wanted to do it this way so that it is not such a shock to the system when the medication is no longer there.

Micko
22-07-10, 17:11
For god's sake don't stop em' suddenly!

Micko
22-07-10, 17:35
For god's sake don't stop cipralex suddenly without your doc's advice!

Phill2
31-07-10, 06:43
I was on 10mg for 5 years and took myself off by only taking one every second day for 2 weeks then went cold turkey.
Had head zaps for a week or 2 but apart from that was fine.
Good luck with it
Phill :shades:

kinger8189
21-10-10, 10:12
Hello Tara,
I'm pleased to have found this site because I have been suffering from dizzy spats, fatigue and deep thinking about bereavement.
I was worried why I was having this and it came to surface that I have not taken my Escitalopram for about a week.
Don't know why I have not taken it. I simply forgot (feeling better after five months I guess).
Anyway, I was very reassured to read your replies and link to the symptoms.
I was suffering from panic attacks which led to very heavy drinking for which I have now stopped for several months.
Since I forgot to take my meds, I have had strong urges to drink again but no anxiety. (not consumed alcohol either)
I have since restarted my programme and intend to consult my GP next week.
This is helpful for me and hope it's of at least some use to you.
Thank you for posting this, speaking out. I have found good from your post.

Kingsley.

Furby
06-12-11, 11:11
Hiya guys, I have recently come off Cipralex. I was on 10mg for about 8 months, gradually it felt the same like all the others i have tried, making me feel angry and irratable and this one made me gain 2 stone in weight (24 pounds) so when my current set ran out i did not go to the pharmacy for me. I spoke to my doc and he said basically it was daft but can see my reasons for going straigt withdrawl. Now the withdrawl itself is interesting, i basically feel horrible. No memory, getting zap all over body, heart palps, anxious, can't sleep, spats of mania. it is crazy. my sister in law who is a mental health nurse basically said i will be like this for minimum 2 weeks but in some ppl these feelings can last about 3 months.

I still take my bedranol beta blocker tho, as this seems to help.

debs71
06-12-11, 12:51
Hiya guys, I have recently come off Cipralex. I was on 10mg for about 8 months, gradually it felt the same like all the others i have tried, making me feel angry and irratable and this one made me gain 2 stone in weight (24 pounds) so when my current set ran out i did not go to the pharmacy for me. I spoke to my doc and he said basically it was daft but can see my reasons for going straigt withdrawl. Now the withdrawl itself is interesting, i basically feel horrible. No memory, getting zap all over body, heart palps, anxious, can't sleep, spats of mania. it is crazy. my sister in law who is a mental health nurse basically said i will be like this for minimum 2 weeks but in some ppl these feelings can last about 3 months.

I still take my bedranol beta blocker tho, as this seems to help.

Furby, these withdrawal symptoms will pass.

I had all of these when I came off Cipralex earlier this year. It was like when I first started them, with all of the same effects as you describe - heightened anxiety, the body and head zaps (especially at night when laying down to sleep) and that 'out of body' feeling.

It is good you have the beta blocker to take the edge off things though.

All the best and good luck.x:hugs: