PDA

View Full Version : Is this health anx?

Gemma T
29-08-11, 14:32
Hi everyone

On saturday I hit my head on the sink at the hairdressers. I had a on/off headache, pressure in my head and ears and head pains. Also I felt as though I could hear my blood pressure in my ears.

Well I ended up going a and e last night because I had a strange neck jerk. Like I switched off for a brief second. And kind of like when your heart skips a beat but it was my head. I also started to get what seemed like pressure in the side of my head. Like someone was pushing in to my head.

I was checked over by the consultant and he said I was fine and that I had a mild concussion and was anxious. I wasnt hooked up on to anything and no scans. I was happy with this.

I came home and went to bed but when I was falling asleep I felt my body jerk which woke me. Ive had this before but it happened over and over again. Everytime I tried getting to sleep. I was more annoyed at the time and thankfully it eventually stopped. Happened about 10 times. I recall dreaming at the time but cant remember my dreams.

I woke up this morning feeling much better but still a headache. Ive taken paracetemol and feel fine. Just some slight pain but nothing I cant function with.

Was this seizures I had or was it because I had worked myself up soooo much?

Please tell me Im mad someone. I have gone and googled and really worked myself up now.

Love Gem x x x

MaJestic
29-08-11, 14:54
Hi Gemma

I have had the neck jerk as well, i think it is from the muscles in my neck having a spasm because i also have very tense neck and shoulder muscles. Do you have muscle twitching/jerking elsewhere on you body? I get a few twitches in my fingers and other parts of my body as well so im sure this what happens in my neck.

I understand it is scary though you just kind of black out for a split second when your head jerks to one side it freaked me out as well.

Hope you feel better soon!

Gemma T
29-08-11, 16:09
Hi Majestic

I was woken by my legs jerking as well. I slept with my mum to be on the safe side and she didnt notice anything. It may be amplifying it. Prob felt alot as I was drifting off.

I do get muscle twitches during the day. In my legs and my but cheek (which is odd lol). I get it alot under my left eye and my lips used to twitch.

Im sure that the more i tense the more likely it is to happen.

The neck jerk was like a split sec black out. I didnt fall or anything. I was sitting forward on the edge of the sofa watching tv at the time. Im thinking it might have seemed like a black out but was really me closing my eyes as I twitched.

Ive just come back from asda and think I might have over done it a bit so more time for me on the sofa.

Im sure I need to rest and relax and it will all go away x x x

Gemma T
29-08-11, 19:34
Do you get the jerking when falling asleep? I read about some strange but normal condition called hypnic jerk. Apparently its very common x x x

MaJestic
29-08-11, 20:28
yeah i have had the jerking while falling asleep once or twice. its not so much of a muscle twitch but its like my whole body just jumps or shudders ive heard it is common too.

im sure if you mentioned to a doctor or neurologist they would be able to give you a detailed explanation of why it happens.

im trying really hard at the minute to try and not freak out about every symptom that i have but i do still have bad days (been feeling quiet anxious today) but in the main it has helped.

im actually considering paying for private healthcare so i can just get some closure on this and get on with things!

bottleblond
29-08-11, 20:37
Gemma

This is soooo common. It's just your body relaxing as you are dozing over to sleep. I get this all the time and have been told by a gp it's just your body unwinding and preparing for slumber. It's not a fit hun so please don't give it a second thought.

Lisa
xx

Gemma T
29-08-11, 22:15
Thanks 4 the reassurance Lisa and majestic. I thought it was normal but bcoz I hit my head I made an assumption. I read about hypnic jerk and I'm sure that's wat it is. Exactly the same thing as were all describing. The symptoms can be so difficult to overcome the never ending symptoms. Some days are gr8 and others r just horrible.

I didn't get the jerks till sunday night anyway. I hit my head sat. Think the anx and exhaustion caught up with me.

Thanks again x x x

kinnygirl1
30-08-11, 10:30
Hi Hun.... I have the falling asleep jerk too but I think it is perfectly normal. Prob one of those things that is heightenend by anxiety. I have a friend who has seizures and he literally cannot remember them at all so I think you wouldn't be able to remember them if they were, if that makes sense?

Gemma T
30-08-11, 11:14
Hi Hun.... I have the falling asleep jerk too but I think it is perfectly normal. Prob one of those things that is heightenend by anxiety. I have a friend who has seizures and he literally cannot remember them at all so I think you wouldn't be able to remember them if they were, if that makes sense?

Thank you for your reassurance.

Im not worried about the falling asleep jerk to be honest as I have had this in the past.

What worries me is the funny neck jerk I had. It was only for a split second and was like I turned off briefly. Kind of like someone switched the light off and then on again. I can fully remember it happening and ending and remember the black spot in between. Its so weird and scary.

I did go to a and e and am I worried I didnt describe it to the doctor correctly. I told him it was like my heart skipping a beat but in my head and didnt mention seeing black.

Thankfully my headache has gone today so Im on the mend but im still quiet scared as I have never experienced anything like it before.

Thank you again x x x