PDA

View Full Version : My situation/introduction

ynwa7778818405
29-08-11, 16:40
Hello everyone. I will try to get straight to the point. I'm 31 years old and live in Devon. I work as a Deputy Headteacher in a special school. My problem will seem strange for someone who does the job I do, but I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks if I am faced with a situation where I have to speak publicly. As you can imagine my life is absolutly filled with anxiety, thinking I might have to do a talk at some point. I can cope with limited situations but most absolutely terrify me, and I will refuse or avoid the situations through fear of having a panic attack when presenting. My heart races and I really feel that I need to get out of the situation as quickly as possible it is such a dreadful feeling. Everytime we have an Ofsted inspection I go through months of unbelievable stress, simply because of this (what if I were to have a panic attack in front of an inspector). This problem has absolutely plagued me for 12 years now since having my first panic attack during a presentation at university and had to leave the room (so embarrassing), to the point where I am about to leave the profession. I dont want to do this as I have worked so hard to get where I am and will be chucking it all away and I now have a family to support. But it seems worth it to get away from this misery it really does! My mind is constantly occupied with this, I can't switch off from worrying about it. I have had numerous CBT sessions but with no real improvements. I have never taken any medication for this but have recently heard good things about Propandol. I feel this is my last hope. Can anyone offer any advice on this at all?
Good to meet you all.

nomorepanic
29-08-11, 16:46
Hi ynwa7778818405

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Coxxy
29-08-11, 17:38
Hi ynwa,

My anxiety is different to yours in the main, but as a school teacher too I have avoided big assemblies and the like for fear of them getting dragged into my problem as I do get very worked up about them.

I share your bad experience, as my first presentation at Uni saw me shaking, stuttering, sweating and generally messing it up. Embarrassing, yes. Life threatening or defining, no.

In the last academic year I have begun to conquer this fear and the following thoughts helped:
* gaining perspective, what's the worst that can happen? Even if I totally fluff it I am no worse a teacher or bloke. In fact I am probably better as I have overcome a massive hurdle. You may think that people will remember you as 'that person who choked or panicked' but memories are short and colleagues want you to do well. Also on a grander scale, the world will still be turning tomorrow and You're not going to get sacked for confronting a weakness - in fact your seniors will respect that more than you hiding behind it.
* on a more practical level, start simple. I don't know what you are up to so forgive any patronising. Arrange to read out a very simple notice at first, then progress to something very structured or pre-written. I am at the stage where I have a clipboard with prompts and far from looking nervous I discovered it solved the problem of what to do with my hands! Only then would I recommend the seemingly simple free-prose that I see some colleagues doing.
* in terms of group size, I understand this may be out of your control but focussing on someone you really know or trust in the room is very helpful.
* probably the most important advice to make you less anxious is there is no such thing as talking too slowly. Some of the most effective speakers leave silence for reflection regularly, which is time for you to gather your thoughts. If I think I'm losing track I also just repeat my last sentence. My audience thinks I'm doing it for effect but actually I'm just resetting myself and slowing down.

Hope this helps a little, if I've missed the basis for your anxiety just say and I'll try to come from another angle.

Andy.

kelly22
29-08-11, 18:34
Hi ynwa, Im a 33 year old teacher too and am suffering with severe anxiety and am dreading going back to work next week! I get a sudden rush of pressure to my head and feel really dizzy and then i panic more and get more dizzy! Its a cycle i am stuck in at the moment! Not great when you are trying to teach 32 teenagers! I have been taking Citralpram 10mg for the last couple of weeks but haven't felt any better! Im scared to go out in case i get dizzy and find it hard walking! You are not on your own! I have had this before ,after a nasty attack of vertigo 10 years ago and was on antidepressants for two years. I slowly got better but it took a long time, but now after a stressful time at work it has come back! I think a lot of teachers suffer from it due to the stress of our jobs, but if you really are struggling i suggest you go to your Doc and try medication, take some time off on the sick of you need to and give the medication time to work. If it does, then go back to work, you can always stop work after that if you still want! I only work 2 days a week so i am hoping i will cope!
Hope this helps!

tatt2
29-08-11, 20:59
:welcome:ynwa you will meet loads of nice people here hope u find what your looking for x

venusbluejeans
30-08-11, 02:03
Hiya and welcome to NMP I hope you find the help and advice here and maybe make a few friends in the process

:welcome: