PDA

View Full Version : Putting off Endoscopy

Catalyst
29-08-11, 20:37
I've been referred for an endoscopy because I've had bad acid problems since January. I think the main reason for the referral was because we believed a distant relative of mine had stomach cancer when she was my age... anyway, since then we have obtained a death certificate for the person and it turns out it was rectal, not stomach cancer - so thats a relief. However, my acid problems continue & the letter asking me to make an appointment for my endoscopy has been sitting on the side for weeks. :blush:

I know I should probably still go to put my mind at rest. If I don't, then that horrible nagging part of my brain will keep saying "what if you're really ill & not going makes it too late to help you?". But I'm so stressed about the procedure. How do you breathe through it & not freak out?!

I forgot to take my lanzoprozole this morning and boy did I know about it by mid-afternoon! The acid is definitely still an issue and I don't like the thought of taking PPIs all my life (I'm only 34).

ronski
30-08-11, 17:20
Catalyst you need the test for the doctors to assess the state of your oesophagus. What you don't want is a Barrets Oesophagus, this is where your stomach lining actually covers the lower end of your oesophagus in an attempt to protect it. You also do not want ulcers either as that can give you chest pain and in extreme cases bleeding.
The test is not that bad as you can ask for sedation but your fears of not being able to breath is unfounded in my experience. I have had 4 endoscopies and relaxing is the key as with any other test. A good doctor will help you relax and talk you through it.
Honestly I have had loads of tests and that is about a 4 out of ten whereas a tilt table test I felt was a ten out of ten far far worse.

Catalyst
30-08-11, 22:47
Oh dear, I'm a bit worried about Barrets Oesophagus now! :blush: But thank you for your reply. You're right, of course, I do need to go. Finally plucked up the courage to phone the appointment line & they just said the hospital will get in touch soon. So... will have to wait a bit & hope I don't get myself into a state about it.

Have you ever had a colonoscopy? Wondering how it would be rated compared to that?! As I had one of those and got through it ok. But then people told me I would forget afterwards & I never did. With the endoscopy, I think its the choking / gagging sensation fear. I retch when I brush my teeth for goodness sake!

It's stupid really, I'm scared of having an endoscoy & of not having one. :shrug:

ronski
31-08-11, 17:29
No never had a Colonoscopy but I have been present when loads have been done like the endoscopy.
The Endoscopy is fine with sedation and if you follow the doctors instructions if you are aware then you will feel no gagging. On inserting the scope he will ask you to swallow to help it go down the oesophagus. If you swallow then it passes easily. I have had 4 endoscopies and three of them I was so out of it I remember nothing. The last one was done by the registrar and he was a real tight wad with the sedation but it was ok.
Honestly nothing to get in a sweat about but I would say that the prep for the colonoscopy is very unpleasant stuff so you will get through the endoscopy with no problem.

countrygirl
31-08-11, 18:17
Tip from my gastro Dr when I was having my endos is to always always ask for maximum sedation - he said most Drs give only 2mgs of the drug used but you can have up to 5mgs and at 5mgs believe me you know nothing. I have had this dose for both of my endos and I knew nothing of the proceedure and it was wondeful!

I had my colonsocopy with only 2mgs and I was aware of everytihg all the time so i know that 2mgs does not work for me.