PDA

View Full Version : Think I am going backwards

Bakerboy3685
30-08-11, 16:25
Hi there

After a year or so on Citalopram for mild depression and anxiety, I finally came off the tablets in May this year. Overall I didn't suffer depression anymore and was pleased to finally think I was getting somewhere.

However now I feel I am going backwards, as my anxiety is getting worse and today I feel very low. I get in a panic every time I face a social occasion at the moment, such as a night out with friends or a family meal. I don't know whether the anxiety is making me feel low but I am definitely on a real downer today since I got up.

I feel a panic attack lurking and it's a horrible feeling inside of me. To make matters worse my partner doesn't understand and never has understood why I feel like this. So going home to someone for support isn't really the case because I know they can't really understand why I feel this way.

ElizabethJane
30-08-11, 18:50
If you have been ill before then you will be taking these symptoms as warning signs that all might not be well. You could go back to your GP and discuss your options with him. It might not mean a return to medication it depends on your history and whether you have suffered before? If this is the case then your GP might put you back on medication straight away. I have severe recurrent depression currently stable. If I think that I am becoming ill then I head straight back to the docs. Other things you might try are a relaxation cd and some exercise like gentle walking. If you can talk to someone and tell them how you feel but don't leave it. Depression seldom gets better on its own. EJ.

emma6981
30-08-11, 19:53
hi,i was on effexor for 8 years and it gave me my life back. however, this year i tried to come off them so i could have a baby. i was doing fine until 3 weeks ago and now am struggling with low mood and anxiety. i changed to sertraline2 weeks ago and am feeling awful,i know its because the new tablets havent kicked in,but i really dont know how much more of this i can take.please tell me this will get better because i am soscared that i wont get better and i will end up in hospital :(

Bakerboy3685
30-08-11, 20:49
Thanks for replies.

I am actually going back to my GP tomorrow so at least I can discuss things and hopefully get the right advice of what to do.

I am just left feeling very sad at the prospect of going back on meds and suffering from depression again when I thought it was all behind me.

emma6981: I am not aware of the drugs you are taking but if you have only just started on them I know it can take a while for them to work. When I started Citalopram last year I felt awful at first and things did get better. I'm sure you will too but I know it seems very hard at first and you have to keep being strong.

ElizabethJane
30-08-11, 21:51
Thanks for replies.

I am actually going back to my GP tomorrow so at least I can discuss things and hopefully get the right advice of what to do.

I am just left feeling very sad at the prospect of going back on meds and suffering from depression again when I thought it was all behind me.

emma6981: I am not aware of the drugs you are taking but if you have only just started on them I know it can take a while for them to work. When I started Citalopram last year I felt awful at first and things did get better. I'm sure you will too but I know it seems very hard at first and you have to keep being strong.
It is probably better to acknowledge your feelings in the long run. Being on anti depressants does not mean you will need to be admitted as an in-patient. This is usuallly only a last resort. There might be the possibility of CBT or counselling as well depending what is available in your area. The key point here is not to give up. You have the whole of your life ahead of you. EJ