PDA

View Full Version : been in hospital

sandy40
30-08-11, 18:07
Hi,as many of you know ive had alot of chest pain ect,well on monday it got bad and i was admitted to hospital,i had bloods and ecgs and a chest xray done..now im home and ive to have a thalium test as a outpatient but it wont be for a few weeks so im really worried and im getting alot of palpations ive been given a GNT spray and other tablets to open my arieries up a bit,im home and very scared.

Gemma T
30-08-11, 18:10
I wouldnt worry (famous words lol). They are doing these tests because you have been back and forth and they cant work out the problem. Your like a medical phenomenum lol (spelt that wrong lol)

If they were worried you would not be an out patient. Im sure they have given you these things as a precaution. Im sure you will find it was all for nothing x x x

nomorepanic
30-08-11, 18:19
Sandy

They wouldn't let you out if there was a problem. What did they say about it all ?

sandy40
30-08-11, 18:29
They said they needed to get ot the bottom of this and gave me the tablets/spray and have requested a thalium scan in Glasgow for me,im really worried as im getting alot of palps since ive came home..they did lots of ecgs and said they were not all normal but there was nothing scary showing on them but the cardiololgist said my ecgs were fine so im confused.Ive the cardiac nurses number so i can call her anytime.As you can imagine im in a mess.

nomorepanic
30-08-11, 18:32
My partner has some abnormalities on his ECG but they say it is nothing harmful and he may have always had them so I wouldn't worry too much.

One consultant made him stay in for a night as he said he could see something then the cardiologist said they were fine. I would trust the cardiologist to be honest.

What is a thalium scan?

haynsey
30-08-11, 18:38
Hi sandy40,
If they were concerned they wouldnt let you out of hospital!!
What drugs did they give you apart from the spray...
Rob had the same, he has had an heart attack, and one ecg was better than the first....
I think it is natural for heart readings to change everytime an ecg is performed..

sandy40
30-08-11, 18:39
they gave me Isosorbide Mononitrate.

haynsey
30-08-11, 18:49
Okay!
But keep the gtn spray with you all the time, Rob has one but never carries it around with him, typical bloke!!
Did they mention or ask about your anxiety levels, for instance talkin to someone about your fears and HA, see they can fix your heart but not your mind..
I just think the cardiologist would not of let you home if they were concerned...

ronski
30-08-11, 21:22
Sandy a thallium scan is the next best thing to a cardiac angiogram. What I cannot understand is that they have prescribed you angina medication without any evidence of ischaemic heart disease.
There could be many reasons for this chest pain, hormonal,oesophageal, High Blood Pressure etc. The palpitations are the clue I believe in showing that more than likely the pain is nervous system induced. The trouble with GTN is that it can also stop oesophageal pain so if it's your oesophagus then the symptoms will be masked.
I had major chest pain but without evidence my doctors refused to prescribe GTN, it's a good job because it turned out to be oesophageal ulceration after having an endoscopy. I had chest pain that would last for hours but GTN always stopped it in hospital.
Anyway have the test done and then you will know if your worries have any foundation. Take Care

sandy40
31-08-11, 07:20
Ronski,the palpatations are becoming more frequent and so it the tightning,whenever i excert at all then it starts up again,im really worried as im at home and dont feel well at all..the scan will take a few weeks to come through.

macc noodle
31-08-11, 07:30
Sandy,

You really need to try and relax a bit (I know, easier said than done) BUT you have had a good batch of tests in hospital and they have organised this thalium scan for you and are happy that you are fit enough to be at home.

In no way would they have discharged you or made you wait for further tests if they thought that you were in danger.

You really do have to accept what they are telling you and I am sure that if you could relax a little about it then the pains would lessen - you are constantly looking for the pain and therefore your body is constantly preparing for the worst - this causes pain and is called anxiety.

I am not saying that the whole problem is anxiety - although it could turn out to be - just that it is creating a lot of additional symptoms for you that are not heart related.

Please try and accept what is happening is now under control and you are being well looked after and that they are happy with you being at home.

:hugs:

xx

s11fyx
31-08-11, 07:53
There giving you theses tests as you e been back and forward to a &e if they didn't do something more they could get in trouble. They thing is your not helping your self you need to relax what if it all cones back anxiety related as there's a very very high chance it will what ate you going to do then ? You need to relax x

ronski
31-08-11, 08:07
Sandy this constant anxiety will make you feel very Ill and also give you palpitations. Heart issues or not this constant anxiety will not help.
The issue again I cannot get my head around is that your symptoms if heart related are typical of unstable angina. Now if that were the case no doctor would allow you home without thorough investigation. That would definitely be picked up on blood tests and ECG.
Stable angina would only occur if heart rate and blood pressure were elevated that would compromise oxygen supply to the heart muscle and just walking around would not give you that unless the anxiety is giving you a tachycardia and a huge rise in blood pressure and that is a possibility. A athlete under those conditions would also get angina so your heart would be normal, the heart rate would have to be 120 plus and blood pressure of 170/120 plus.
I had a resting heart rate of 110 and a blood pressure of 180/120 in 2008 and I was getting angina just walking to the bathroom. I was admitted to hospital and was given loads of tests and scans as they thought I had an adrenal tumour but it all turned out to be a sympathetic overload from my nervous system. Once my resting heart rate came down to 70 it all stopped even though I still spike my blood pressure occasionally with stress. So as you can see anxiety can mimic many illnesses especially heart and digestive issues.
Try and relax and you may find things improve but it may take as long as 3 months to get your system to relax to normality.

s11fyx
31-08-11, 08:19
Have you tryed any alternative medicine to help?