PDA

View Full Version : Panicking about travelling

Ddcoo
31-08-11, 10:56
I'm going on hols on Saturday and I hate travelling. I am travelling by car and am completely stressed about this. Every year has been the same for 13 years and I do push myself each year to go away as my man needs a break from work. I fear panicking in the car and not being able to control it. I have been feeling dizzy all week and I know it is anxiety, please can anyone suggest anything:blush:

VioletWings
31-08-11, 12:31
Are you the one driving the car or are you a passenger? I know how it feels to be nervous about panicking whilst in the car. I think the old method of not trying to resist panic is going to be the best in this situation!
If you fear panicking you'll be more tense. I think if you give yourself permission to have a panic, -not to expect it -but just to have the attitude that if it happens, it happens, and you WILL feel better out the other side of it.
Also in addition you could play some music you like? Something relaxing?
If you're the passenger would you feel more relaxed in the back? You could also take a book or a game to play or something to take your mind off things. Or talk with your man about what you're looking forward to on the holiday.
For me, I'd take my water, a paper bag and just aim to enjoy the ride. And to know you are not stuck, you can pull over if necessary, or stop at services.

All the very best, and enjoy your holiday!

Ddcoo
31-08-11, 13:50
Thank you so much Violet Wings for your sound advice. I will be the passenger but I also drive and I don't like sitting in the back seat. I will try my best to just accept that if I panic then I panic. When we set off I clam up completely (the only time my partner gets any peace), but I am that stressed. I have bought some childrens I SPY books to try and distract my thoughts. We don't usually have the music on, but I will try and see if it helps. I will have a bottle of water and a packet of extra strong mints and of course a paper bag!! It's like a military operation to get myself into the car, I feel so stupid when I see others merrily setting off on a journey all smiling and I'm like a gibbering wreck. Thank you again for your encouragement. :wacko: