PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure

countrygirl
31-08-11, 14:10
Until recently my blood pressure has always been in the normal range, mostly nearer the top due to white coat syndrome! I had it done in Jan this year and it was 130/84 which was fine BUT I had it done 8 weeks ago and it was 150/84 and Dr said to go back in a couple of months.

Yesterday when I was very anxious before my cystosocpy it was 160/87 and this morning the Dr did both arms and one was 170/80 and other was 130/100 which completely puzzled her as to why each arm was different. I am very overweight due to thryoid problems and spinal issues meaning exercise is not easy and now menopausal and Dr said that your blood pressure rises with lack of oestogen - I am going to make a very concerted effort to lose weight, because of my thyroid it means I have to eat alot less than a normal person to actually lose weight but Dr said it would be the best thing I could do for myself.

I do have a home blood pressure moniter that I have never used ( too scared) and Dr said in the next 6 weeks to take readings at same time of day to take back with me and obviously lose weight and try to exercise more as well.

Problem is that I only have to look at the bp moniter at home and my heart races and bp goes up, the only true reading would be one done while I was asleep or unconcious:)

I am going to try and get some when I fiirst wake up in the morning.

Any tips??

s11fyx
31-08-11, 14:13
relaxstion and meditation will bring your blood pressure down you need to do it once to twice a day. i theres a class near you that can be helpful.

also omega 3 capsules low blood pressure but not sure if you can take them with certain medictation x

Bellabel
31-08-11, 14:19
When you check your bp at home, do it three times with 10 minutes inbetween readings then average out the numbers. This will give you a more realistic range.

swgrl09
31-08-11, 14:30
I have the SAME exact problem. People tell me it is called white coat syndrome, but even looking at an at home monitor makes my anxiety/pressure rise. I can feel it! I know that when I am not having it taken it is MUCH lower because I physically feel it go up. I used to always have low blood pressure (100-110/60-70) until one time I was very nervous before an appointment and it showed up high. The nurse made a huge deal about it and now I freak out each time I get it taken.

I found that what helps me is to just take it over and over again until I calm down. Once I get a good reading, I know I am ok. I also explain this issue every time I go to the doctor, and usually they understand. Sometimes they take my pressure twice, once in the beginning and once at the end of the appointment just to show a difference. It really is a pain though. I feel for you!

Ddcoo
31-08-11, 14:36
When I check my BP at home, I find the first reading is high as I get wound up about doing it, so I do a couple more a few minutes apart and it always drops. Like you I have underactive thyroid and find it very difficult to lose more than 6lb and it usually goes straight back on when I stop starving myself - oh the joys of age!! I have bad knees which stops me exercising, but I have got a Wii Machine which has some exercises/games that you can do regardless of your medical problems and it is great fun - I just need the energy to switch the machine on lol. Hope you get on OK.

Mazzmate
31-08-11, 16:23
Countrygirl, do take heart, some of us experience exactly the same things that you do when taking blood pressure at home or even worse when sat in the doctors surgery. I know it sounds stupid but it is a relief to me to know that I am not on my own, so whilst I don't have any tips on how to handle it at least I can empathise with you.

cathycrumble
31-08-11, 18:26
Countrygirl this is my phobia I am on antidepressents because of it i went gp today in tears as I worry soo much about having it and having it taken. I said to her today put on screen on no account take my bp. lol and she said you don't have to have it done you can take it at home but like you I just look at the monitor and my heart goes fast, but when I went last week about my anxiety the orther gp took it and it was 128/85 and I took it at home on the 20th august and it was 129/86 but I still have an obsession about it I bloody hate it. I did tell you I was in hospital for 3 days last September with a water infection and because I was so terified the nurse cept saying ur bp is high which made me even more terified. so I asked for a bp pil lol and now I am on 5mg amlodopine. And I bet I really havnt got bp and I don't need a pill, I have always had white coat syndrome It just annoyes me that if I was to relax when having it taken it would be fine. So you are not on your own. I to am on thyroxine my weight is not too bad I am 5ft 5in and weigh 11st 2Lb.

Cathy xx

countrygirl
02-09-11, 12:59
I took my bp for first time today on home machine and of course as soon as I picked up the cuff my heart rate went beserk. I had been told to take 3 readings about 5-10 mins apart and take the best one.

It just shows how much anxiety affects your bp as the first one was 152/94 and my heart rate was 139!

Before the 3rd one I sat and read some jokes and left the arm cuff on so I was not having to do anything other than press the button and that one was 133/89 and pulse was 98.

Within 5 mins my pulse was back to 62bpm.

I was told to take it a couple of times a day in batches of 3 and as I get used to doing it the readings will be more true = ever hopeful!

cathycrumble
02-09-11, 20:49
That's great it's coming down nicely, keeping calm is the best thing so simple lol

Made up for you!

Cathy :D xx