PDA

View Full Version : Finding a job.

RafflesGeorgiou
01-09-11, 16:24
Hi All,
Not quite sure where to put this so I will post in here and Misc. As most of you (from chat room) know that I've just left school I have taken the choice not to go to college. I had a course but anxiety has just won. Could any of you guys suggest a job which could be suitable for me? I suffer from anxiety especially outside the house and social anxiety (especially talking on the phone). I would love to work from home but I think if I start doing that I will get into the habbit of staying at home and things will get worse. Working in a shop isn't really my thing due to anxiety so I'd like a quiet, peacefull job.

I will be starting work on Tuesday as a trainee dental nurse however it's not perminant, it's just a job at my mums work until they find someone to fill in the hours.

Thanks for listening :)
Raf. xox

Liliana83
01-09-11, 16:57
Hi Waffles! I'd suggest a billing collections job..perhaps at a medical office? I've heard it's more of a sit down in front of a computer all day and you usually don't have to deal with people. Perhaps look around for job openings at medical offices and hospitals. I agree that finding a job outside of your home would be ideal and a way for you to open up to different surroundings. Best of luck in your search!

Sugar&Spice
01-09-11, 17:03
Heya,

Not sure how much this will help you, but I was in a similar position to you, I left school, I did go to college and lasted a lot of the course, but I should have admitted defeat because by the end of it I was much worse off anxiety-wise.
Since leaving college, I have had 2 jobs, the first one was packing orders in a warehouse, this was a really good job for my anxiety, because you could leave your workstation when you needed, if you didn't want to talk to the people around you, you didn't have to, and a lot of people didn't want to talk anyway. The only thing was that there were difficult targets and bad pay! But if you were meeting your targets, they didn't really bother you ever, if you weren't they just came round all the workstations every day and asked you to try a bit harder.
The job I have now is working in a call center, I know you said that you get anxiety on the phone, but I did too before working in a call center, but I find it fine for my anxiety, because the calls are mostly simple, and I don't have to phone anyone, I'm just answering the phone which I find a lot less stressful, and it's not like the customer is there in your face, if you need to you can hang up at any time.
Or maybe you could try some kind of admin or processing job? Or you could just apply for any jobs going at the moment, if you don't like it you can just quit, it's not like they can force you to stay there!

Best of luck :)

Yorkman
02-09-11, 00:02
What about a dental technicians course at college?? Making dentures etc? It's a good job once qualified. My friends daughter starts s course this month and she suffers slightly similar to yourself.
Have you any hobbies, skills or interests you could turn into a career?
Another friend of mine drives for the nhs.

ronski
02-09-11, 07:54
Grab the Bull by the horns and get a job where you have to interact with people, giving in to your anxiety long term is not healthy. Starting work as a trainee dental nurse is a fantastic start as you will be interacting with the public and your other work colleagues. I will be honest with you the workplace is not for the timid or else you will just get walked over and as for a peaceful job there is no such thing. All jobs have there own politics and stresses.
Anxiety is not an illness, it's a belief that is not true. Your mind has created in you certain untruths and your brain constantly try's to make things safe. That's not to say that the symptoms and sensations are not very unpleasant but that is the nature of anxiety. It's suppose to make you feel uncomfortable, but the cure is not giving in to it but with small steps doing those things you most dread. Remember the goal is desensitising that anxiety response not getting rid of it.
You are very young and you can beat this, remember how bad you feel it will and can never harm you. I bet if you never told anybody at your new job that you had anxiety that they would even guess. The only way forward is going through what you most fear, the eye of the storm and finding that place of peace in the eye.
All the best in your working life, I wish you well

Magic
02-09-11, 11:57
Hi Raffs,
I cannot really say any thing more than Ronski. Just thought I't tell you this.
When my neice left school ages ago that is. She was asked by a dentist if she would consider training to be a dental nurse. At first she said no because she thought about being tickled stomach and not coping .
Anyway her mum said give it a go. So she did. Had to go to college some days.
She has gone from strength to strength and now works at a hospital.
We never thought she would stick to it.but she did not give in.
Raffs you have plenty of time to consider whats best for you.
My daughter worked in a factory for a while before she found a job she liked after she left college.
In my opinion you would be better getting out if possible.
I know this is difficult,when I started working myself I had a job in the village because I was to nervous to get on a bus. Big mistake.
All the best to you Raffs:hugs::hugs:

RafflesGeorgiou
02-09-11, 22:01
Thanks for all your amazing replies guys, I have read them all and I really do appreciate the time you have given to me by replying to my post. I think I am going to do what most people suggested and do the dental job. I will still keep an eye out for any other job which may interest me but I'm going to throw myself straight in to it. Hopefully by seeing patients every 10 minutes or so it will boost my confidence re social anxiety too.

Thanks again for the great replies, it means a lot to me :)
Take care guys,
Raf. xx

Yorkman
03-09-11, 01:28
Good luck seriously
Keep us updated.
It's always daunting and anxiety kicks in whenever anyone starts a new job.
So don't worry, after a day or so you will be fine trust me!

RafflesGeorgiou
03-09-11, 11:25
Thankyou!! :) Will deffinately keep you updated!
Raf xx