PDA

View Full Version : Dr wants to see me re. test results. Is this bad?

Darwin73
01-09-11, 17:10
Hi, I have been feeling rubbish recently (very tired, not very sharp mentally, cold, fatigued) and went to the doctor who ordered some blood tests (FBC, thyroid). I had the tests done 9 days ago and just phoned for the results. The receptionist looked them up and then just asked me when I could come in to discuss the results. I know if everything is ok, they just say "they're all fine". Now I'm really worried that something awful is wrong.

Liliana83
01-09-11, 17:17
It's normal for doctors to want to go over results in person whether they are good/bad...

Darwin73
01-09-11, 17:32
At my surgery, they don't see you if the results are ok. They just get the receptionists to tell you that everything was fine. That's why I'm worried...

Liliana83
01-09-11, 17:53
Each doctor's office is different..they all have different regulations they have to go through and or follow by..

Try to relax..

countrygirl
01-09-11, 19:14
My Dr surgery only want to see you if they need to discuss something but remember it could be as simple as a bit of iron deficiancy aneamia or your thryoid is underactive, neither of which is anything to worry about.

If it was anything really serious they would have been back in touch within about 48 hrs as the hospital would ring the Drs with the results - I know this as I worked at a Drs surgery.

Darwin73
01-09-11, 19:16
Thanks countrygirl, I feel a bit better after reading that. Would they still have rung me even if the Dr who ordered the tests was away on holiday when the results came back?

bluetopazgirl
01-09-11, 20:02
My doctors only contact you of theres a need so you can imagine how I've been when something's come up n Its always been a case of low iron, try not to worry if it was something very serious they would of called u straight away x

Gemma T
01-09-11, 20:23
If your results were bad they will knock down ur door to let u know. Ur doc being away isn't a plausable defence in a clin neg claim and believe me they know it. They wouldn't allow something like a trip away to run in to millions. I'm sure its a lack of something that won't kill u x x x

countrygirl
01-09-11, 20:25
Yes they would have rung you even if your Dr is away as the day the tests come back whoever is on duty looks through the results ( its all on computer now of course). Believe me if a result shows anythng that might point to a serious problem then the lab ring your GP surgery and tell them the result so they can contact you straight away. Most routine tests as in full blood count they do that day, thyroid they do in batches so can take a week for results and some obscure tests like say for lymes disease can take a month to get back.

crystal17
01-09-11, 23:14
Darwin dont worry, I went through all this a year ago after I had some blood tests done and the surgery actually phoned me, left 2 message on my answerphone as I missed the calls and said can I please get in touch.

When I phoned back the receptionist wouldnt tell me anything, only that the Dr wants to discuss my results. I was in a right state til the next way when they would see me, assuming the very worst possible outcome...

...turns out I was slightly deficient in vitamin B and was given supplements.

So try not to put yourself through hell xx

Darwin73
02-09-11, 16:06
Thanks for your kind and reassuring replies everyone. Crystal17, I can only imagine how terrifying that must have been to have had your surgery phone you! I will find out my results in a week.

Liliana83
02-09-11, 16:09
So any updates?

Piskers2016
16-03-16, 22:53
I had a dr appointment and had biopsy done when i called to cancel next appt which was next day they say u cant. You must come in and speak wit dr on results. Well whenever dr wants to see u in person on results not good! My experience!QUOTE=countrygirl;872303]My Dr surgery only want to see you if they need to discuss something but remember it could be as simple as a bit of iron deficiancy aneamia or your thryoid is underactive, neither of which is anything to worry about.

If it was anything really serious they would have been back in touch within about 48 hrs as the hospital would ring the Drs with the results - I know this as I worked at a Drs surgery.[/QUOTE]