PDA

View Full Version : CONSTANT tingling

pAULspybeef
01-09-11, 17:35
hi all, is it possible to get seemingly constant tingling in one particular place due to anxiety? to cut a long story short, i've been to docs, had blood tests - all perfect, he said it was anxiety brought on by stress at work and death of mother-in-law earlier this year. my right calf constantly feels odd/tingly/tense/crawling/buzzing etc. i find anxiety hard to accept as diagnosis as I don't feel anxious like in past when with panic attacks symptoms came and went. i nonetheless lead a relatively normal life; work & play football (i am physically fit). i sometimes worry about some neurological cause as there seems to be no on-off switch for symptoms. my questions are:

1) Can anxiety cause seemingly constant physical symptoms?
2) Can anxiety affect one particular limb (i.e. right calf)?
3) What should I do in future to help situation?

Comments & advice would be much appreciated

Best Regards

MaJestic
01-09-11, 19:35
hi

yes anxiety can cause constant symptoms i too dont still get them even when im not feeling anxious like muscle twitching for example is always there but just gets worse when i feel anxious. if you exercise and play football that can cause your muscles to twitch too i get that in my legs after i go for a run.

one thing i try to tell myself if it was something really bad i think you would know about it and the symptoms would be extreme

take care!

pAULspybeef
01-09-11, 19:41
yeah i sometimes think, why do i get it when im exercising too?!?! i guess it will go away eventually with positive thought directed elsewhere. i know that its anxiety deep down, just frustrating youcant get rid of physical symptoms just like that. and of course you're right, if i can run around playing football, and run rings around most people my age, there cant be anything seriously wrong with me!

M155anthr0p3
01-09-11, 20:23
Oh my god yes!! I've posted about this before....
Either get it in one leg or one arm...so annoying like there's a bee in there lol!!

My doctor said "basically Emily you are a nutter and it's all anxiety related"

Try not to focus on it too much x

suzy-sue
01-09-11, 20:27
Read through this it explains things ....
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/symptoms/ sue x

looking4answers
02-09-11, 02:28
I have been getting this alot lately and am under alot of stress.

Anxious_gal
02-09-11, 03:02
You say it's CONSTANT, It might just be one of those you have to put up wit, you should try taking some vitamins, vitamin B can cause tingling if you are low in it.
Yes is could indeed be anxiety too, all that stress can set of a chain reaction within your body. When you are stressed you have too much cortisol in your blood so might be a by product.
Hyperventilation also causes tingling, maybe your breathing too fast with out knowing it.
It is a harmless symptom though, hopefully might clear up on it's own.
There is also a thing called an internal tremor, could be that too.

pAULspybeef
02-09-11, 16:24
i think the most frustrating thing is that the symptoms never seem to vanish completely. its been the same for about 2 months. i kinda know its nothing serious but its really irritating to the point where i think about it alot every day. id be so happy if they vanished. i dont get panic attacks and dont feel anxious

Liliana83
02-09-11, 16:29
I'm actually getting tingly sensations on my left hand now...due to anxiety and not taking my pill for insomnia...I think it's from both anxiety and withdrawal.

Like you..mine comes and goes..I'll be fine one time and then out of blue it will happen again. Hang in there..

Rebecca10
02-09-11, 22:15
Hello!

Yes I too get the whole tingling and twitching thing. It's so annoying! Had it for abouit 5 years now - it started just with the tingling down the right hand side of my leg then I would get pins and needles in my finger tips and toes. I now seem to get a lot of muscle twitching and spasms. Doctors ran blood tests on me too and everything came back ok and they just told me it was anxiety (Have been to many different doctors over the last 5 years). Just started on citalopram about 2 weeks ago so hoping these might do something for the symptoms. Mine seem only ever to bother me when I'm sat down/lying down and never when I'm just walking around during the day. I also seem to get them when I don't think I'm anxious and then I get anxious because I get them! You can't win! But anyway I'm glad I found this site because I know what I'm experiencing isn't uncommon!

pAULspybeef
03-09-11, 15:04
i can't seem to shake the thoughts that I have MS. Doc said it was anxiety but I have seemingly constant tingling. Here are a few questions I'd like answered:

1) can constant tingling be caused merely by anxiety?

2) would i be able to play football and other high-paced activities if I had MS?

3) what are the differences between MS and anxiety? I'd like to talk to an MS sufferer to discuss the way I feel

:o(

Anxious_gal
04-09-11, 11:34
You could try posting on the MS forums on healthboards.com

Anxious_gal
04-09-11, 11:37
Rebbeca I get the same thing in my legs! I have wondered if it might be restless leg syndrome

Rebecca10
04-09-11, 16:48
Hi Mishel! I did think that at one point as I used google to look up my symptoms (bad idea!) But the tingling has since gone away and none of the docs I saw ever mentioned that it could have been that - just the fact that maybe my jeans were too tight or I shouldn't wear belts! I now get a few muscle twitches and spasms but this happens all over my body and usually when I'm in bed

Rebecca10
04-09-11, 17:00
Hi Paul. I too worried a lot about my symptoms being MS and went to the doctors many times. If you are really worried then go to your doctor and tell him/her everything and tell them you are worried about it being MS. That's what I did and they did a few simple tests like checking my reflexes and the strength in my arms/legs. When I first started getting all my symptoms about 4/5 years ago I felt that my tingling was constant (a pins and needles type feeling in my hands and toes) and muscle pain etc. How long have you had these symptoms for? I really don't think you would be able to run around playing football if you did as it affects the way people walk etc. But I'm obviously no expert I'm just going off the worries I had and what the doctors told me. The best thing to do is see a doctor to try and put your mind at rest. I still worry that I could have it but the doctor told me that my symptoms would have got a lot worse over the years as it's a progressive disease. I made the big mistake of googling my symptoms when I fist got them and that's why I began to believe that I had something really wrong with me. It's a hard thing to shake once it gets into your head but that's why I am here because of my anxiety! Best of luck to you

MidnightCalm
04-09-11, 17:10
I have constant tingling down the left side of my back just left of my spine, it's freaky.
Does anybody else get it there?
I also occasionally get it in my hands, feet, legs, arms, face, scalp :S
"What causes this:

Since the nervous system conveys touch sensations to the brain, when the nervous system is over stimulated, it can sometimes send impaired information which will often be felt as a numbness, tingling or pins and needles. For example, when an individual pinches a nerve they usually feel the results of this as numbness or tingling in a certain part of the body.
Because the entire skin area of the body is touch sensitive (nerves cells connected to the brain through the nervous system network), any part of the skin or body can feel numb, tingly or as pins and needles.
Typically this sensation comes and goes, and will affect a wide range of body areas off and on. It's nothing to be concerned with and will subside once the nervous system gets sufficient rest."

This is reassuring but I don't think it's supposed to be constant, or can it be? Just from anxiety...