PDA

View Full Version : CBT.NHS. How long have people had to wait. Are they still waiting

psb
02-09-11, 18:35
Hi Everybody,

Been to the Community Psychiatric Nurses' this afternoon. Enquired again about CBT. She seemed to think that it could take over a year with the current waiting list. Already been waiting 3 months. What are other peoples experiences with waiting for CBT. This is in South Yorkshire BTW.

Sorry to Moan,

Send Word,

Peter

nomorepanic
02-09-11, 19:03
I was put on a list in July 2010 - still waiting. As it happens I don't need it now but even so that is a long time!

pammy1944
02-09-11, 19:14
I got it after an 18month wait .............but it was well worth it

Gemma T
02-09-11, 23:17
Saw my doc on the fri. An appointment with the assessor was made thurs. I then waited 2 wks for my cbt. All in all about 3 wks I think.

I live in east london though

Sorry to annoy anyone. I'm thinking demand and avaliability is much greater where I am x x x

psb
03-09-11, 13:43
Well. It sounds like anything over a year could be run of the mill.
Is it really that good ?CBT i mean.

debbsi
03-09-11, 15:27
Hi
I was referred by GP in April this year, saw a MH worker about 6 weeks later, had 2 sessions with him then he referred me for high intensity cbt. I had my first session 2 weeks ago, she has offered me 8 sessions initially.
this is in NW of England

psb
04-09-11, 16:09
Here's a thought. As i am potentially becoming a mature student again. Does any one know whether being an NUS Member will make any difference in accessing CBT ?

nomorepanic
04-09-11, 16:17
Here's a thought. As i am potentially becoming a mature student again. Does any one know whether being an NUS Member will make any difference in accessing CBT ?

No it won't I am afraid. You will just be on the list like everyone else

annette1
04-09-11, 18:57
i live in the South west. on diagnosis my gp advised me to seek private therapy, the waiting list here is around 6mths to see consultant then up to a year for therapy. I couldnt wait that long & went to a private psychologist, it was expensive but she has helped me get my life back, i have no regrets about the cost.

thetube82
05-09-11, 22:40
PSB

where in South Yorks do you live?? As i am sure IAPT services are around that part now.

thetube82

psb
06-09-11, 13:39
HI thetube82,

I live in Barnsley. Well Penistone which borders west yorkshire actually.
What is IAPT ?
I have transport and am prepared to travel though.
Will ask the CPN this afternoon.

Thanks for the advice,

Peter

psb
06-09-11, 17:57
Been to see the CPN this afternoon. Apparently i am already on the IAPT list for CBT. So thanks for the thought tube but still the wait continues...

ZHBully
07-09-11, 02:52

I also don't want to annoy, but I really can't say enough good things about my treatment on the NHS with CBT, and waiting times especially! But this could be because I went through my University Med Centre. The uni mental health advisor set everything up for me, and I had to wait a maximum of 6 weeks or so (don't remember exactly) before I saw the low intensity practitioner, who ended up giving me face-to-face sessions as I declined to only receive guidance over the phone (I'm better about using the phone now, but would have been totally put off if that was all that was offered). After about 6-8 sessions, I was stepped up to high intensity CBT, and only had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks before starting that, and it was a smooth transition.

I think it did make a difference going through the university, as I have a friend who went through his home GP but within the same county, GLOS, and he's been waiting 6 months so far. Also, because I was clear that I was a student, they recognised I had some urgency as I was at risk of dropping out altogether within a term or so if I wasn't helped soon!

As for what IAPT is ('Improving Access to Psychological Therapies'), as much as I gather, I think it is national guidance/requirement(?) that local NHS providers should have provisions for patients to be able to easily receive talking therapies in addition to medication. It is then up to local NHS to make programmes that ensures this. I guess that is why there is variation across UK about how good these programmes are and how easy it is to actually receive therapy.

If you're interested, I have been writing a blog (http://zhbully.wordpress.com) which initially was mostly focused on the work I did during my sessions with the high intensity therapist ('Celine'), and then I added my notes I'd been keeping during the time with the low intensity worker ('SG'). They can be found under the tag 'IAPT (http://zhbully.wordpress.com/category/iapt/)'.

psb
08-09-11, 17:46
Hey well. Thems the breaks i suppose. Glad that some are benefiting from CBT, if not everybody.
By the way have peeked at your blog ZHBully. Interesting insight into what to expect. Thanks for the link.
Send Word,

Peter

RafflesGeorgiou
08-09-11, 21:17
I was on the waiting list for CBT in November and I had my first session 13th January. :)

psb
10-09-11, 10:36
I was on the waiting list for CBT in November and I had my first session 13th January. :)

Hi RafflesGeorgiou,
If you don't mind me asking what kind of progress have you made with CBT.
Has it made a noticeable difference to your life?

Thanks,

Peter

MardyBum
19-09-11, 11:22
ive just been to dr who is putting me forward for CBT again

ZHBully
19-09-11, 12:21
ive just been to dr who is putting me forward for CBT again

Were you not accepted for CBT the first time, or are you going back for another set of sessions? Hope it is useful.

emu12
08-11-11, 16:37
I asked for CBT in July and got my first assessment in september, judging by others experiences this is quite quick :)

robinhall
09-11-11, 15:41
Hi Everyone

For those of you seeking CBT for the treatment of Panic Disorder why not try the CBT programme recommended here on nomrepanic - CBT4PANIC

Then you won't have to wait at all - Lot's of people on this forum are finding it very helpful.

You can try it free for 30 days.

Robin

ZD
01-03-12, 00:38
I live in the south west , and when I phoned for an appointment on nhs they said its a years waiting list I added myself to this rather long list , but helped my self in the mean time , I had private councilling , a year went by and no one called me .... Good old nhs , I believe your health is the most important no matter what the cost ....

Zoe Xx

murph
30-03-12, 16:55
Decision was made last year, but a couple of trips to A&E later and I was rushed into a gap after a couple of weeks.

Only problem was I am still at work, tried to negotiate and was emotionally blackmailed about the waiting list into accepting something that makes going to work hard on specific day!

Kellybobz
30-03-12, 18:18
HI i was on the waiting list which i was told was 2 years. However during my wait i became alot worse, infact it was really bad! I spoke with my GP about how i couldnt function and how low my mood was, he put me as urgent and i was seen within the week. It might be because my daughter was a baby at the time aswell, and i wasnt coping.

dan1234
30-03-12, 19:39
8 weeks for the telephone consultation and another few weeks after that. So maybe 3 months in total?

xfilme
31-03-12, 02:33
I waited about 5 days the last time when I was referred via my doc. Now its a self referral process. Ive referred myself twice, and theyve not responded to either.

cometstail
12-04-12, 08:34
I live in Liverpool and have my first CBT appointment in two weeks, having been in the waiting list since October last year.

PanchoGoz
12-04-12, 11:19
2 Years I saw up there? Crikey! You might have recovered by then by yourself!
I had a consultation and she said I could manage ok on my own what with all the self help books and meditation I'd been doing and struck me off the list. Where I live I reckon they only help the ones who go in screaming or covered in bruises because there simply aren't enogh counsillors to go around. No wonder we have village witches.

hollie24
23-06-12, 11:49
i was referred by my doctor and had my assessment about 5 days later then started cbt a week after that so a max of 2 weeks.. i had my 3rd session yesterday, really enjoying it.. im from Lincolnshire and the waiting list are not that long x