PDA

View Full Version : Morning anxiety

RND2011
03-09-11, 10:35
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to deal with morning anxiety? Within half an hour of waking up my mind is racing with repetitive thoughts etc causing the physical symptoms of anxiety to build to the point where I am nervous of getting in my car to go to work.

I usually settle down a bit by around 10 or 11 o'clock and they then build again later in the day.

I really don't feel as though I can stop the repetitive thinking. I have tried meds but hate the side effects and they really don't seem to suit me. I am seeing an anxiety counsellor who has been excellent in showing me the symptoms are anxiety but I cannot seem to control my mind in the mornings.

Any advice greatfully received

bugrud
03-09-11, 11:10
i really dont know if this will help but the book recommended on here by claire weekes ( i think thats her name - anyway its the one about living with nerves really helped me )
as soon as you feel the "anxieties " i breathe into it slowly - in peaceful - out calm , for about 5 times and keep going until you feel yourself being forced to relax
she recommends that we should face our anxieties and whilst it does sound a hard and bonkers thing to do - this sort of very v-e-r-y slow breathing actually works cos it knocks our sympathetic nervous system into action which is a natural muscle relaxant which will stop all that horrible anxious ness in its tracks
keep doing and repeating until it works
an alternate is to get outside and do something which makes you sweat and eat up the adrenalin which your anxiety is producing

i hope this helps and i really feel for you - am going through the self same thing myself right now so am off to run the dog up the hills - what the hell are my pills doing i ask myself _ hahahaahxxxx:bighug1:

cathycrumble
03-09-11, 11:34
I have the same mine is getting a bit better now but claire weekes also says imagine these thougts popping out of your head like little balls or chaneling out of your head where you may keep a pencil behind your ear lol sounds funny I know but it does work invent your own and she does say to put a positive thought in it's place. and try to accept that for the time you are getting better accept the way you are and calmly go about your business. I am finding it hard to explain but I would suggest you buy her book self help for your nerves. Mornings are the pits I know. Good luck.

Cathy xx

Meewah
04-09-11, 18:49
RND

I have just started with this. I wake up between 5.30am and 6.30am and within a few minutes I can feel myself thinking about what if... They usually are thoughts of me or my kids or my wife being diagnosed with some kind of cancer or heart related problems. My mind acts out the scenarios from visiting the hospital, the loneliness, the kids crying, every type of scenario. I then feel so hyped up that I have to get up and distract myself. I would love to just sleep through at the moment. Cant say its been happening long. We have just come back from the summer holidays and it started then.

When I try to stop thinking I go back to it like a horror film. I wonder if I wake up out of a dream or nightmare and then that is what is starting my mind off.

Hope you find peace soon

Mee