PDA

View Full Version : agoraphobia

biancad
04-09-11, 08:15
im 20 years old i suffer from bad anxiety and panic attacks i cant really go anywer because im scared of panic attacks i cant eat properly im scared of public transport every situation that iv had a panic in i avoid! is this agoraphobia or just anxiety?

wiskersonkittens
04-09-11, 15:51
Hi, biancad -- I'm wiskers. I am sorry you are going through this. I have been suffering from agoraphobia for the last year, and panic disorder for 3 years now since my grandmother passed away suddenly. To answer your quesiton, you have both. Agoraphobia comes from the fear of having a panic attack in public places and not being able to escape. I worry when I am out the panic attack will be so overwhelming I'll pass out or die in front of others, which I don't like attention and having that kind scares me. I never thought I would end up like this and it is a battle because I want so much to break these chains and live again. So much I want and need to do, but I am allowing fear, and panic attacks which are harmless, even though they can be very intense at times, to debilitate me.
Also, it is not uncommon for agoraphobia to start around your age. Do you know what might have triggered this for you? Do you have much support -- physical, but also emotional is very important. I had the physical, but no one was there for me emotionally and I think that's why I have gotten to this point. -- ??
We can get through this, but it will take some time. Feel free to PM me anytime if you just need to talk. :) Take care, and sending hugs your way ...

Eva May
08-09-11, 23:24
Hi biancad. You sound exactly like me I'm terrified of having a panic attack anywhere which is why I don't go anywhere. If this has just started for you, you might still be able to get a firm grip on it. I would suggest seeing a cognitive therapist if you can and hope things work out for you :)

cathycrumble
09-09-11, 00:09
im 20 years old i suffer from bad anxiety and panic attacks i cant really go anywer because im scared of panic attacks i cant eat properly im scared of public transport every situation that iv had a panic in i avoid! is this agoraphobia or just anxiety?
Hi Biancad

Sorry to hear what you are going through I was wandering if the Claire weeks tapes recordings would help you, They have been helping me with my anxiety. She is really good

http://www.junior-anxiety-depression-exchange.org.uk/relax.html#HowToRecover

Have a listen it may help.

Cathy xx

MargaretHale
27-09-11, 13:35
Can totally relate to you Bianca, I started off with panic attacks which have turned into Agoraphobia. I *can* go out but only with my partner, and even then I won't stray more than a few yards from the car as I'm so afraid of having a big panic attack.
No more panic were really helpful as I learned a few techniques to stop an attack via their telephone counselling.
x

alone
27-09-11, 13:43
my agoraphobia is related to a fear of people more than a fear of having a panic atttack while out. i can only go out with a family member, and even then its really an anxiuos experience.ive been like this nearly all my life, but house bound for the last 6 years. i hate living like this.

Bethie
27-09-11, 15:02
Hi there. I began having panic attacks a month ago along with my old nemesis Mr. Agoraphobia. When I was very young (22 years old), I had begun having panic attacks with resultant agoraphobia. I took a small dose of a stimulant (dexedrine) and that was the end of the panic and agoraphobia. Now, fast forward to a month ago when the panic and agoraphobia returned after decades. My psychiatrist gave me a prescription for a very, very, very low dose of a medication called Nuvigil. It is a stimulant but is not in the amphetamine family as is dexadrine. At any rate, just as had happened decades earlier, within minutes of taking the Nuvigil tablet my fear, terror and agoraphobia were gone!!!

P.S. I do not know if you live in the United States or Great Britain. I am not familiar with the drugs that are used in GB. I live in the United States. Nuvigil is a "schedule IV" drug meaning it has a low potential for addiction. True amphetamine drugs are a schedule II in the U.S. and have to be strictly monitored. THE NUVIGIL KNOCKED OUT MY PANIC INSTANTLY.

Good luck.

Good luck to you.

G.Samsa
27-09-11, 18:48
Hello Biancad, I'm also twenty and I suffer from panic attacks. I'm able to get around town, but anything that requires a bus or train I find impossible. It's really really hard, just wanted to let you know that there are other people in a similar position to you.