PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice please

emmy39
04-09-11, 15:43
I'm going back to work tomorrow after being off due to school holidays. I don't know whether I should mention to my boss that I have panic attacks or just keep it to myself a little bit longer and have a word with my CBT therapist about it. I don't know how they would react at work so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Emily

Gemma T
04-09-11, 17:43
Tough question.

I do think it would be better if someone at work knew. Maybe not the manager but someone you trust to support you if something happens at work. Someone to explain things if u do have an attack.

You should ask ur therapist though x x x

Deepest Blue
04-09-11, 19:44
Hi Emmy,

I think your employers should be made aware because it's better for them to know that you have a genuine reason rather than them making their own assumptions, especially if they suspect anything.

As for who you should tell, I think I would advise HR, after all they are there to look out for the welfare of all their employees. In addition, they would have to ensure that your personal information is kept confidential between you and the company.

I think maybe ask your therapist for advice on how to approach your employers as well as I am sure they've been asked advice on this by many others. Maybe your therapist could write a letter to your employers explaining matters?. I think that by doing it this way, it shows your employers that you've not only approached the right people but also done something about finding help. The company would probably be less sympathetic if they had heard it through gossip.

Good luck,
Take Care.

katykaty
04-09-11, 20:26
Hi, I'm guessing you work in a school? I'm a teacher and suffer from panic attacks and anxiety.

I only started working in the school I'm at in May so I'm still the new girl learning the ropes. I was diagnosed with GAD in about June this year, I confided in a teacher I work alongside and she was really supportive and convinced me to let the head teacher know. So with her with me as moral support, I explained everything to the head - at first she seemed supportive but then afterwards I got the feeling she didn't understand at all. I had to call in one morning (about 4 days after the meeting with her) as I was having one panic attack after another while trying to leave the house for work, the head told me to come in for 11am and try and settle myself, which I took to mean she was being supportive however afterwards I felt like I was being constantly watched and that every problem I came across was being seen as due to my anxiety - to the point where I called in with a migraine and she said I needed to see someone about my panic attacks which I hadn't mentioned at all in the phone call. I ended up speaking to the head of my school's federation about it as I wasn't feeling supported and she made me feel a little better about the situation.

I don't know if I'm glad I told people at school about my GAD or not, I kind of think it's now become my 'label' but that could just be me being paranoid.

I know of other people working in school who's senior staff have been really supportive and understanding so I suppose it's just down to how you feel within your own setting.

Katy x

jude uk
06-09-11, 03:46
Most work places by right will support an employee. Its nothing to be ashamed off having panic attacks and nor is it to have a mental health issue. (Check out our members of parliment lol)