PDA

View Full Version : Fear of the dark etc.

scoobygirl2005
14-05-06, 15:40
Hi guys.

I know this may sound a little silly, but I am really scared of the dark! Every single night I have to have my bedroom light on! Its not nice sleeping with a big bright light on either. If I am with someone though I don't mind the light being off, its quite strange really. Also I get scared that someone may be in my room and so I have to check in my wardrobe, behind it and under my bed every night before I go to bed, its like part of my routine to do with my ocd aswell, I can't stop it though! I also have to sleep with some noise on. So does anyone else have this fear of being in the dark? Any advice guys? Thanks. Keep smiling.

Scooby2005
x x

carlin
14-05-06, 16:25
Hi there, this does not sound silly at all, lots of people hate sleeping in the dark. The only advice i have is firstly, not to worry too much about it, secondly, get a light bulb that is not so bright,and so what if you have the tv or music on, as long as it doesn't disturb anyone else i can see no problem. And keep smiling mate. xxx

carlin
14-05-06, 16:59
Hi there, now stop upsetting the neighbours eh??? lol. I have no experience of ocd, but once you have assured yourself that all is well, after having a lovely soak in the bath, a lovely hot drink and maybe a few munchies, try hard to relax (phew! if only!) I can promise, nothing wil hurt you in your bedroom, is it a nice relaxing place with lots of posters/picture that sort of thing? Once your mind is relaxed i promise nothing will 'get' you. try to settle...and let me know how you get on tonight. xxxxx

scoobygirl2005
14-05-06, 17:01
lol. It has posters in it yes, but nothing relaxes me lol! I won't be able to stop it, I always have to check otherwise I will try and stay awake all night and will be really worried that someone is in my bedroom!

Scooby2005
x x

giddy
14-05-06, 19:53
Hi Scooby - I'm scared of the dark too, I have the bathroom light on and the downstairs light on and some nights need to leave the bedroom lamp on too. I have a thing about strange lights in the window and need to have my bedroom light enough that I don't notice them - there are a lot of security lights and cats around where I live and the lights flash on and off most nights. In the light of day I can rationalise it as security lights but at night, my mind goes into overdrive and I start thinking of UFO's, aliens, abduction....crazy thoughts for a 36 year old eh!!!! I can't drive my car on my own in the dark either!! So, your not alone in your fear!!
Love Helen

scoobygirl2005
14-05-06, 19:59
Aw bless lol. Its funny how more people are scared at night time isn't it? Its nearly dark now and I am scared. I don't know what to do, can't seem to conquer this fear! lol.

Scooby2005
x x

Two heads
14-05-06, 21:38
Hi there hun!
Im scared of the dark as i said to you today hun.I sleep with the hall light on and with some calming music,that really helps.
As for the ocd,try and cut one of those checks out a month,thats how ive delt with ocd in the past!I no its easy said than done.But nothing will happen to you hun, i promise.One small step at atime and one day your wonder what it was all about.xxxx

scoobygirl2005
14-05-06, 21:42
Thanks Bong. I can't, really can't stop the ocd stuff. I find it so hard.

Scooby2005
x x

Miss Pink
16-05-06, 17:00
Hiya Scooby,

Don't worry I'm 25 and I still look under my bed everynight and pull my my bedcovers back to check for spiders. It was only when I read your post (and my boyfriends reaction when I suddenly get out of bed when I realise I haven't checked underneath !!), that I really notice it.

It's just that us anxiety sufferers have one thing in common HUGE IMAGINATIONS[:P] !! I reckon all of us on here would have a good career in scriptwriting if nothing else !! Hollywood here I come !!! lol

Take Care !

‹(•¿•)› Rachael xx ‹(•¿•)›

marie ross
16-05-06, 17:29
Hi Scooby,

I'm a 33 year old woman who's scared of letting my legs dangle over the bed (just in case something tries to pull me underneath!!!!) Even when i'm on the sofa at night i have to sit with my legs underneath me (You never know!!!!) I also have to have some sort of background noise, more than likely the tv so i can get to sleep.

Marie XXX

My fear stems from that poltergist movie, when the little boy looks under the bed and that horrible clown is there. That was about 15-20 years ago and it still affects me now!!!!

scoobygirl2005
17-05-06, 15:16
Aw bless. Thanks for your replies guys, they made me laugh a little! [^] Am glad to know I am not the only one suffering from all that because I thought I was a baby! lol. :( Its so annoying having to do all that though and having to keep the light on, because maybe thats why sometimes I find it so hard to go to sleep!

Scooby2005
x x