PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any success stories on this medication??

Desprate Dan
06-09-11, 09:22
I have been going through a rough period in my life and my anxiety is exhausting me trying to battle on through each day to feel totally exhausted and no interest in anything..

I went to see a Mental Health assessor and she recommended I take this medication to give my mind some much needed rest bite as its constantly over thinking all the time and also start some CBT.

She says my condition is called GAD and with medication and CBT there is a good chance we can beat it or at least cope better with it.

Just afraid about the medication. Can anyone give me some positive feed back on this..

Dan x

Lizziesaurus
10-09-11, 11:33
When I first started on this (75mg) it worked wonders, I'd never been so happy and relaxed. I admit it didn't last, and that's not quite what you wanted to hear but be aware that if you start on this med it'll be a nightmare (more than likely) to ever get off it. I'm stuck on it at 37.5mg every few days but I just can't get rid!

There were minimal side effects though, and like I said, it did help for a while. Maybe it will last longer for you, good luck!

josbd
31-10-11, 17:27
As I posted in the other positive points thread, I have now been on effexor since 1994. They have never let me down, and apart from a few sweats, I have never had any side effects on them, and they still work damn well. My (now ex) gf was also on them, and like me, had no issues with them.

Desprate Dan
02-11-11, 09:54
Thanks. I went to see my GP and told him what the therapist had said. I got the feeling he didn't want to prescribe this medication he started to tell me about the increased risk of high blood pressure on this med.

Anyway he did write me out a prescription for 37.5ml release tablets twice a day. Is this the standard dose?

missy_c
02-11-11, 19:58
Hi Dan,

I just wanted to post to say that I was on venlafaxine/effexor 150mg a day and found that it really helped with anxiety and depression. I was on mirtazipine as well, but came off the mirtazipine, then about 6 months later started coming off the effexor. The psychiatrist was really happy with my progress so decided to wean me off them, but sadly my depression and anxiety has come back.

When you start them the side effects can be pretty bad (I just started duloxetine today and the side effects are the same) and coming off them can be horrid, but it is do-able, and if they work then its all good. Top tips whilst coming off them was to take fish oil, antihistamines and vitamin b50...but you will need to find out if they meet your needs...hopefully they'll be as effective in you as they were me.

Hanako
21-12-11, 04:15
From the bottom of my heart, I really don't believe that coming off anti-depressants is bringing back the depression, quite the reverse... the doctors don't 'outline' the fact that anti-depressants are 'addictive' or as drug companies like to call it 'withdrawal symptoms' to save their own arse! I am on a different anti-depressant... and trying to reduce right now... it's incredibly difficult, but I am determined to come off it because somewhere deep inside me I believe even if I go through hell, as long as I have support of family & friends, and even if I do drop to my worst for a few months or even a year, in the long run I wont have these anti-depressants messing with my mind, moods, feelings for the rest of my life... of course this is just my personal opinion, but I think it's the side effects of 'withdrawal' that make you feel depressed, low... Doctors will never admit this and probably suggest going back on your medication or even increasing it.

petram
05-01-12, 13:27
hi dan have u started how s it going? x