PDA

View Full Version : trouble sleeping

tracey
27-08-03, 16:01
My partner has never really had any trouble sleeping until the p/a's started, now he probably sleeps for about an hour every night, if that, i sometimes feel like i should be trying to stay awake longer just to make sure that he is okay, is there anything we can do to help him sleep, i am worried about him as he has quite a manually skilled job and i don't want him to lose concentration at work as he may injure himself.

Is it a result of the panic attacks that he can't sleep?

i want to help him as much as i can and let him know that i am always here no matter what the situation.

any advice would be greatly received,

ps what time do most people go into the chat room?

Meg
27-08-03, 16:34
Dear Tracey,

The Chat room wakes up from about 9pm ish.

Re : Sleeping issues , very common. His nervous system is on high alert and very easily startled.
The most important thing is that he will sleep eventually so it's not a major event and at work he will also be on heightened awareness so will probably be fine .

You definately do not want to change your sleeping habits to accomodate this.It just gives it more power. Your main take home message is : life as usual as far as possible. Just to have you near and hear your calm breathing will be enough to reassure him.

Sleep is natures best healer so things that can help are

Absolutely no caffiene after 6 pm. Minimal for rest of day
Minimal refined sugers
calcium / magnesium supplement
Warm milk
warm bath
Lavender/clary sage/chamomile oil in bath or on radiator when colder or on pillow case
Valarian root tea, tincture or tablets. If hes very shaky he can take them regularly
Passiflora/hop/lemon balm tea or tablets or tincture
Relaxation tapes
Yoga

The one that did it for me after a month of 1 hour sleep was a vetiver oil massage. We found a local lady who came out in the evening and it totally knocked me out and broke the cycle.

It's fabulous that he has such a terrific partner as you but he needs to do this himself. So it would be great to have you both in the chat room and him asking some questions too. You cannot do this for him, Tracey as much as I know you want to. The best thing you can do is - be there, but do not fuss over him or his subconcious will get used to the added attention.

sarah
28-08-03, 14:20
Hi Tracey
I have to say that the advice radar gives is spot on. I have terrible trouble sleeping (have done for years but way worse since panic). I usually lay awake till 4 or 5 am. I am trying to get out of it by doing the things that radar says.... nice warm bath b4 bed. giving myself time to relax and unwind before bed is good too... I sometimes do relaxation exercises too...... lay on your back and clench toes for count of 5 then relax then go all way up body, flexing ankles, legs, buttocks, shoulders, tummy, screw up face etc. Sounds daft but it works to un-knot your muscles. I also read in bed till im really sleepy.
I was so bad at first i wouldnt let my husband out of my sight and it really hindered my progress so i wouldnt go anywhere without him and would panic if he was going out and leaving me on my own. He did whatever i wanted and i became so reliant on him that i couldnt help myself and when he went back to work full time i became a recluse. I have since had therapy which helped and now can do a lot of things on my own when i had trouble even going out the front door.
I guess what im trying to say is help your partner all you can but dont wrap him in cotton wool as it could only make him worse. Dont force him to do things that he doesnt want to,let him go at his own pace but with a little encouragement.
Ok enough of this waffle. Hope it goes ok for you both. If you need to talk come in the chatroom or email me
sarahsarah100@hotmail.com
Sarah
xx