PDA

View Full Version : Would a blood test detect something serious?

xxlisaxx08
08-09-11, 03:46
I have a funny feeling my health anxiety may seriously be playing up again but I really need reassurance on this.

I recently had a blood test at the doctors - it took me 2 and half months to build the courage up to go - the results have came back normal. In my head I've convinced myself I have cancer. Would a blood test detect something going on if I did have cancer or would it go undetected? Someone told me that blood tests don't pick up cancer unless it's leukemia. I don't want to go to the doctor in case it's just HA playing up.

Any info would be appreciated, thanks x

nomorepanic
08-09-11, 11:25
There would probably be some raised markers in the white cell blood tests I believe.

I wouldn't get too hung up on cancer though - you would have other symptoms as well if you had it.

xxlisaxx08
12-09-11, 23:14
Thanks for your response Nicola, it is much appreciated. I thought that the blood test would show some suspicious activity but someone told me this wasn't true.

I do have symptoms of throat cancer and have had them for about a month now. However, I did have symptoms of bowel cancer about 4 months ago also which I got checked out but tests came back normal. So I'm reluctant to go to my GP again especially since I have health anxiety and know how easy I can believe I have something serious wrong with me but at the same time I'm worried about not doing anything!

Anxiety is a pain in the ass!

Gemma T
13-09-11, 19:13
I agree with Nic. I wouldnt worry. My dad is a heavy smoker. He lost his voive for three months went to the ENT and nothing wrong with him. It came back shortly after.

I believe throat cancer is very painful. You wont be able to eat because swallowing is to painful.

Im sure your fine. If it makes you feel any better I have oral cancer, a fractured skull and since lunch DVT. Dont you just love health anx x x x

selphie
13-09-11, 21:15
it also depends on what they tested your blood for the doc puts down what they test for they ussaully do a full blood count. but they can tell things from the white blood cells im always questioning the docs on what they can find from blood tests and they say what were testing for:whistles:

xxlisaxx08
13-09-11, 22:55
haha Gemma, health anxiety is definitely fantastic! Something is ALWAYS wrong with me. I convinced myself in tesco tonight I was having a heart attack. I wish my brain would pick one terminal illness and stick to. Multiple illnesses is tiring and very confusing! It's got to the point now that I'm scared something is really going to happen and I won't know about it!

Selphie - Erm the blood test were in relation to the investigation about my 'bowel cancer' symptopms. I know I had a full blood count, liver function, U&E, Ferritin, TFT and checked to see if I had any ulcers in my stomach. Also had a stool sample but everything came back fine.

Lisa x

xxlisaxx08
13-09-11, 22:58
Oh, was also tested for ESR. I suppose I should just be grateful that all those came back normal x

looking4answers
13-09-11, 23:14
There are certain markers tht trigger an alarm in any blood test for sinister tgings .If they see any of these that dont add up they will ask for more blood for specific test. Believe me I had my blood drawn twice a day two viles and the last test eight viles. You can be sure they would ask for more blood. I think you are fine. Try not to worry.

xxlisaxx08
13-09-11, 23:34
Thank you - I was initially relieved with the results of the blood test but then someone stupidly told me that blood tests don't pick up on cancer unless it's in the blood as they know someone who had blood tests that were fine but a week later they had cancer - usual story lol.

I know this is typical of health anxiety. I guess I always need something to panic about.

Lisa x

christos
04-11-11, 23:22
I often have blood tests, they normally screen for specific illnesses. I have thyroid function screening to check my thyroid function. Your GP would normally for specific illnesses in a first blood screen based on your symptoms.

Guitar10
16-04-14, 04:01
Worried about blood test results

tazmindevs
13-06-14, 15:57
certain serious things would be detected but others wont be, it all depends on what it is really