PDA

View Full Version : bottle of water

HB
10-04-04, 22:23
Do any of you ALWAYS carry water with you? I can't go anywhere without it- i really dont know why! let me know. Take Care. x

H

nomorepanic
10-04-04, 22:53
I take water in the car with me to mix with rescue remedy if I need it. I also take a fizzy drink with me too, so you are not unusual.

It is nice to have water to drink when your mouth gets dry isn't it?

Nicola

twister
10-04-04, 23:31
I always carry water - CBT man told me I need to stop - but what if I get thirsty!!!

Emily

Buby
11-04-04, 00:54
hi H,

me and my dad ALWAYS take water wiv us whereva we go, i take it in the bathroom, shoppin, to me bruvs, to bed, even to the me mates just to knock for them. newhere. so its cool that u take it wiv u and i dont see y u shud stop takin it..its not hurtin ne1, even tho its a pain always carryin it round.

take care xx hugs Rachel xx

sarah
11-04-04, 13:41
Hiya Helen

I ALWAYS have a bottle of water with me, i think its become permanently attached. Ive even been known to put a small bottle in my pocket going into a club or pub (as if im not going to be able to get a drink in there????).
At least its a comfort and a bottle of water is nothing to be embarrassed about..its not like we are carrying our favourite cuddly toy around eh?

love Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
13-04-04, 13:36
Em

I expect that the reason he told you to stop carrying it is to see if you can cope without it. A bit like the person (me included) that carries some medication with them at all times just in case they need it. I have had 3 Diazepam in my bag for 3 years now and never take them but they are there if I need them I guess.

He is just trying to stop you relying on things in case they aren't there one day.

Nicola

Laurie28
13-04-04, 13:44
I agree Nic, CBT therapist don't like crutches - even if it is a harmless bottle of water!!!

I remember he asked me what I done when I got a bad panic attack - I told him I sat on the bathroom floor (cool lino) and calmed down. he told me to stop doing that. ( i think it was incase I didn't have a cool bathroom floor one time and I totally freaked!) I have had panics outwith my house and had no lino but still 'survived'!!!

Anyway - You could be carrying worse things than water - so if it helps why not eh!!!

Lucky

kate
13-04-04, 13:49
Hiya all,

I agree with Lucky, it's no big deal!

Just go with what makes YOU feel more secure.

Kate x

Brownie
14-04-04, 07:11
Hey HB

I CAN"T be without my water lol, sounds so wierd but it relieves my anxiety a lot especially with the feeling that i cant breath or my throat is closing up. I carry water with me everywhere with a straw. It's funny that you posted about this, I though i was the only one that did this and now i see a lot of you do too.

-Christie

Meg
14-04-04, 12:29
When I was getting better we went on a 'hike' in the Peak District. A couple of miles in to it I went to get out my beloved bottle of water and discovered we had both forgotten to put it in the pack.

Instantly I felt the anxiety welling up - what if we get stuck in freak weather for 3 days etc etc. Gary refused point blank to turn back so I eventually plodded on but was not happy but vowed to get on with it.

Luckily, a couple of miles further on there was an icecream van and I was able to replenish stocks.

It taught me I could survive without having it close by at all times. I do always have some in the car- but then I always did so am happy with that.

I think we often learn that we can manage without something following a lapse of concentration of our own making. I now think that I wasn't really as fussed as I thought about the water or I'd have checked more carefully.

Meg

"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We're afraid."
"Come to the edge."
"We can't. We will fall!"
"Come to the edge."
And they came.
And he pushed them.
And they flew.

- Guillaume Apollinaire

benoo5
18-04-04, 01:16
in the last few years,there have been several football managers,sitting on the bench,suffering heart attacks,owing to the stress involved.

the last couple of years,more managers are standing up,during the game,and you can see them sipping from there little bottle of mineral water.

the number of heart attacks has almost disappeared,so ladies,although you dont have their pressures...your taking your mineral water,and you will live to a ripe old age........bryan.

ana
18-04-04, 10:58
Hi! When I go out I always carry water or juice with me because I always think that I'm gonna pass out or be thirsty. I also carry my keys and meds and I always take a picture of Jesus to make me feel safe... So, you see, nothing to worry about.
Take care,
Hope to see you in the Chat room
Ana

imported_n/a
20-04-04, 19:52
:Dhi there ,h, i always have a bottle of water handy,,you see you get a very dry mouth when your anxious ,so i always carry a bottle so i can just take little sips and rehyrates my mouth and really does help,,although some people do think i am a nut,,ha ha ha sipping water in the freezing cold snow, but hey it helps me so,,,ok mate your not on your own there ,,,take care mate ,,darren,:)

stimpy
24-04-04, 23:25
Bottle of water is nothing! - lol
You should see what I have in my panic kit.
Decongestants, painkillers, herbal remedies, anti depressants, tranqs and sticky plasters.

The way I see it, if it makes you feel safe - take it with you.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

womble
29-04-04, 08:07
I get very confuded to about this. Carrying aroun water, rescue remedy is seen by the CBT folk as a secondary crutch and tehy say that we are not really learning that the panic won't kill us with these crutches.

But the fact is I have numerous of these crutches - water, car keys, rescue remedy, sweets, food, mobile and I don't feel I could function in my daily life without them. The trouble comes when one of the crutches is something that everyone else carry's around to, like water. We are all supposed to drink lots of water and dehydration can make you dizzy so I think on blance - carry the bloomin water and tell your CBT person to see if they can go a whole day without water, what fun!

Take care all

Deb XxxxX

lilac kitten
30-04-04, 14:04
Totally agree with everyone. I carry a little supply of everything in the boot of my car - just in case, and a bottle of water/juice in my bag/pushchair - and extra strong mints - wouldn't be without them. My doctor asked me what a bottle of water was doing in my bag and I said I like to sip from it during the day. But what an odd question in magazines and such like we're always being told to drink water during the day.

To be honest lots of people who suffer panic and those who don't carry bottles of water to rehydrate. Actually my sons school insists that each child takes a bottle of water in with them every day and sips from it during the day in the class room, and the dinner ladies ensure each child has a glass of water and a drink from the fountain during play and lunch times. Luckily we have a doctor (not mine obviously!!) whose daughter attends the school and it was her recommendation. By the way its not a private school - just your bog standard normal school.

Luckily my psychotherapist has no preference to what I should carry, he just wants me to get better. The only problem is there's a small handbag I like, unfortunately I can only have big handbags to carry the bottles of water (and my half a tonne of make up and all my money of course (I wish!!).

Ruth
x

apm
30-04-04, 18:31
I always have water- two bottles in the car. And notes about what to do if you have a panic attack! And rescue remedy (one in the car, one jacket pocket).
It is healthy to drink water regularly, and we are prone to a dry mouth (this is a common side-effect, right?). I guess it is a double-edged sword though. You get halfway somewhere, realise you don't have one of your crutches, and that makes you anxious! Ironic.. I have adopted the approach that if I'm going somewhere safe, I can happily leave the RR behind. If it's somewhere new or likely to be crowded, I'll take it, and most likely it'll stay in my pocket.
Then we're not so strange- I reckon about 80% of people would feel very unsafe and vulnerable if you took their mobile away. I do feel kind of naked without mine...

Alex.
x

Outside a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Groucho Marx.

HB
01-05-04, 12:02
wow! i forgot i had even posted this message and all you guys have been giving me such lovely advice all along :-) I still take my bottle of water around with me but CBT lady says i must stop or i wont get over my sickness phobia :( there is no way i can give it up! il try but no guarantees!, thanks guys!!

H

HB
01-05-04, 12:03
Also, what is a "rescue remedy?" x

H

nomorepanic
01-05-04, 16:42
HB

Rescue Remedy is a natural remedy for panic/anxiety.

Take a look at www.nomorepanic.co.uk/remedies.htm for more info or put "rescue remedy" in the search box at the top of the screen and you will find all the posts about it in here.

Nicola

HB
10-05-04, 19:15
ok thanks, i could so with something to sort me out sometimes!
although my therapist tells me not to avoid panic and to work through it- harder than it sounds to her! xxx

H

seh1980
25-05-04, 16:49
Hi there,
As soon as I get anywhere and I don't have water, I start to panic. Don't know why. Always need to buy it right away!
Sarah (seh1980)

HB
26-05-04, 19:10
Yeah im the same!! drives my mum potty when i insist on going into a shop just for comfort- sometimes i dont even open it!!!

H

Caitlyn89
31-05-04, 23:24
What is in the rescue remedy and where can i get it...keep in mind i live in the US

Meg
01-06-04, 09:54
Caitlyn
There is lots of information on the home page under natural remedies or a link from the First Steps article and yes you can get it in the US.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone