PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks ..please help ..i am trying to learn to drive !

suzanne1
09-09-11, 00:01
:weep:hi ..i have suffered from anxiety and panic attacks for about 30 years , i am still trying to deal with feeling this way ...it always seems to stop me from doing ..the norm , in life and i would love to be able to drive , ...i had a few lessons and all was well i felt fine , then i had a bad day and since then i feel awful every time i am behind the wheel ..i feel so annoyed with myself as i know i can do it , but once this takes over me i am helpless , i really am in need of some advice or support right now from someone who understands what i am going through right now . cheers :blush:

Robbie
09-09-11, 18:37
Whats your email? I'll give you a link to a self help course, once its upload that is...

Gemma T
09-09-11, 23:57
Hi

I know how u feel. I've suffered with panic attacks in the past which only happened at night and awoke me from a dream. Until recently that is.

I had one whilst driving on a 40mph road. I was in traffic thankfully but it really got me worried about how dangerous that situation was. Funny thing is I'm the driver peeps hate. I speed and do all sorts of things u shouldn't.

There was only one way to avoid that happening again so I drove and drove and drove since. Anxiety etc has really effected my life but I'd be damned if I let it stand in the way of me and lakeside shopping centre.

Love Gem x x x

suzanne1
12-09-11, 00:26
thanks , i am going to have another go at it this week ..i really dont want it to beat me .

Col
12-09-11, 12:56
Hi suzanne
Read your post earlier and was thinking about this, yep tell your driving instructor.
Ok some of them can be strict but, if you get a good one that's easy to talk to, keep this tutor and tell him/her straight!

Try Backs rescue remedy, start local and take it one step at a time, make sure your prepared for it and your not trying to rush it. Maybe try driving with a family member, so much so that you don't need many lessons and therefore your test ready, so that u don't have to do extensive amount of lessons.

I really hope u crack it though, driving has been a lifeline!

XXX:winks:

DaveCarter
12-09-11, 13:58
I once had an attack while driving on a dual carriageway at 60mph. It was one of the most scary things I'd experienced!

But, the more I thought about it, I thought... "What's the worst that could happen?, I'd drive a little bit slower, and maybe pull over to the side and play Angry birds for 15 minutes" - I've only had one more since that first attack, and this time it wasn't scary at all, and I did just that.. Pulled over, and played angry birds :)

Good luck with learning to drive :)

Dave

suzanne1
13-09-11, 23:40
thanks allot guys for the advice ...i am going phone another instructor this week ...cheers