PDA

View Full Version : Canals, especially LOCKS!

snappercats
15-05-06, 16:31
I have a horrible fear of canals, expecially the locks. This phobia seems to have got worse over the years (no real explanation why - always been a good swimmer, never been in trouble with water).

My partner and I love to bike the canals but just passing the locks makes me feel sick with fright.

Just the look of them (especially when the water's coming through the gates) scares the daylights out of me!

We like to go from Wolves to Birmingham - couldn't be any worse considering their are about 30 locks between the cities!

I'm trying really hard not to chuck the towel in and avoid them altogether.

Anyone else got a similar fear? [xx(]

snappercats
15-05-06, 16:34
<s>their</s> there! Eeeek just talking about them has made me make spellos!

scoobygirl2005
15-05-06, 17:30
Aw hunni. Poor you. No I haven't got the same phobia as that but can give you some advice at least. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Or do you see a councellor?

Scooby2005
x x

Daisybun
15-05-06, 18:33
CBT could that help or hypnotherapy?

Daisybun

'This too will pass'

snappercats
16-05-06, 07:11
Sorry for being thick - what's CBT???

scoobygirl2005
16-05-06, 12:14
CBT is whats called Congnitive Behavioural Therapy. Its like councelling in a way. They use different techniques to help you.

Scooby2005
x x

creatrix
09-11-06, 15:44
Hi, snapper.

I feel like I have to respond to this just because canals are one of those things that always seems to find me. I have always lived near a canal - Chesapeake & Ohio, Delaware & Raritan, Morris... you name it. Do you often bike past the locks? And have you seen any improvement? When I was terrified of spiders, I tried to force myself to look at the (through a window or from soem other safe distance) to get a bit more used to them. I did get over that fear, but I think there was spiritual intervention, so I can't really advise you on that one.

Good luck to you and have a great ride!!!

LickeyEndBlues
09-11-06, 16:50
Hi snappercats

Whilst I do not have the depth of fear you have I can relate exactly to what you have said.

I also live in the West Midlands and have narrowboated, walked and cycled the very towpaths you speak about.

You are right to be respectful of the power of canal locks and the gates and mechanisms (can't for the life of me remember the name!!) but you need to try to conquer your fears. The towpaths are a fantastic resource here in the WM.

I am aware of some possible "urban myths" about tradegies surrounding locks but I have never heard of any for real, other than in icy water. I always am wary, particularly when they are in use.

CBT would look to making you be aware of your thoughts and reality and how the two conflict. Have you also thought about talking it through with lock keepers?? The locks at The Bratch in Womborne are usually staffed. An easy ride from Wolverhampton and erm....not to many locks!!

I'm happy to chat to you about this and swap notes on feelings etc

Take care

Iain

Laissez les bon temp roulez

stuart39
19-05-08, 20:38
oh this unbelievable. i thought it was just me being mad but like you i hate the damn locks. it might stem from my dad telling me as young lad to stay away from them as he knew a friend of a friend that got sucked down in the water one time and died. apparently they didnt find his body until a week later. its a phobia thats not really affected me that much.... not in a way that would have prompted me to start a thread on the subject, so when I saw your post it was a real surprise and in fact it reminded me that i do have that as a phobia!! so join the club!

if i drive over a canal bridge or get a glimse of a lock or the black and white gates below i usually have a little shake right down my spine and sometimes go all goose-pimply! its madness!! I do a lot of cycling too but not so much on towpaths these days because of the idiots you might meet but 10-20 years ago the canals were filthy and the water tended to be a gross mucky green colour and combined with a deep lock and the noise of the water running through it especially if the lock chamber is empty and there is a big drop into the water, I do brick myself and like you I am a strong swimmer!!

the sensible side of your head tells you that the locks are only a danger if you misuse them. I would hate to be pushed into one though so I find myself looking around for others if i am anywhere near a lock or the edge of one.

weirs and culverts do the same thing to me........confined spaces with water=drowning? I cannot make sense of it but at least i'm not on my own!

i'd had another thought and these things can affect you sub-conscious as a kid but to anyone who remembers the BBC program from the late 70's "when the boat comes in" one episode had a poor chap tied up to a wooden stake that had been stuck into the middle of a big canal lock and a guy on the towpath was asking him for information about something or other and as a means of torturing the poor fella he would slowly open the sluice gates and the water would be creeping up a little higher towards the guys mouth and eventually becuase he couldnt tell him what he wanted to know he opened the gates fully and you saw the guys head get completed submerged as the waters rose then bubbles rising as he drowned - a bit chilling that one. there was another program a few years back where some poor unfortunate fell into an iced over lock and drowned under the ice.

with me i do have this slightly morbid fascintation of seeing people falling into them on TV but i hate going near them in real life-wish i could explain that!