PDA

View Full Version : IBS And The DWP/WRAG.

kirkcaldy
09-09-11, 22:09
I have suffered from IBS for some years now and only my family and medical staff are aware as I find it quite embarrassing to tell anyone.

However I am claiming Employment Support Allowance and on the 28th of June 2011 I had my ATOS medical and was placed on a Work Related Activity Group which I am appealing ( Not Related ).

Anyway I attended my appointment on the 8th of September 2011 at Job Center Plus Kirkcaldy for my Work Focused Interview and when I asked to use a toilet I was told there are no public or disabled toilets for me to use, and I was told by my Customer Adviser Mr Mike Woods to go to the local TESCO store and use their toilets which I did.

After I complained I was told I should go home and was given a new appointment as I was in some state and because of this I asked for a home interview as it was an undue Inconvenience to make a person with IBS to attend without a toilet being available I was told I could use the staff toilet but only in a emergency, which is really, really too kind of them I must say that goes way beyond the call of duty, to ask someone with the condition of IBS to be able to use the staff toilet in an emergency only.

I find it strange when it was the DWP who placed me in the Work Related Activity Group knowing my condition to demand me to attend and not having a toilet available for me or anyone in the same position,
well I will ask to use the toilet as many times as I feel I need it and as people who suffer from IBS will know you sometimes need to go basically after you have just gone be it just mucus, gas or Cramps.

I then found out that the local office do not hold all up to date medical information only truncated information about all my conditions and I was told that even if they did my adviser could see over 10 people plus a day and cannot read every persons notes in detail.

So I have been given another appointment for the 21st of September 2011 with a promise of a staff toilet ( Emergency Only ) and I will see what happens then, I have also contacted TESCO about the DWP directing me and who knows how many other people to their store to use their toilet and resources.

( All the information I have typed here is true and factual and I can be contacted to validate any of the information I have provided. )

Many Thanks,

R.

nomorepanic
09-09-11, 22:23
Our local Job Centre won't let you use the toilets either.

I have Crohn's and apparently I can get a card that I can show to people that says I need to have access to a toilet and they should oblige.

I never got one but I can understand what you are saying.

nomorepanic
09-09-11, 22:54
Good luck with it R