PDA

View Full Version : Citralopram and Zyban

blackberry
10-09-11, 04:12
Hi, I'm not a new member but havent posted before.
I am on 40mg Citralopram daily which seems to hold my anxiety (just).
I have recently been prescribed Zyban to help give up smoking - Oh my god- how awfull. The anxiety I have experienced was immense and at one point I didnt know what I was going to do and I can honestly say I dont know if I would have jumped off the nearest bridge just to stop the anxiety!
I stopped the pills straight away and felt better 2 days later. I returned to the Dr and he seemed to think it was just my own anxiety but I've never been in that state before.
I thought I'd try again (having faith in my Dr) and the same thing happened.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Pongowaring
10-09-11, 20:00
Yes.

I took Zyban a few years ago, I wasn't taking anything for anxiety at the time, as my anxiety wasn't a problem.

The Zyban made me feel very sick indeed, and incredibly anxious. I eventually quit smoking on willpower alone - after Zyban experience, it was easy.

suzy-sue
10-09-11, 22:14
Increased anxiety IS a side effect of this Drug ..Also if you are taking antidepressants it increases their effect .Not advisable to take with Citalopram and many other drugs of this kind .No wonder you felt like you did .Stupid Dr ..Glad to hear you managed to pack up with out it .Well done ..Sue

Yorkman
11-09-11, 01:40
I quit Smoking a year ago and used champix. It worked for me. I haven't smoked since the quit date!

blackberry
11-09-11, 02:38
Thank you everyone for your replies.
@ Suzie-sue. I havent stopped! Just stopped the Zyban.
My Dr has said that Champix is not suitable for me to take with Citalopram but Zyban was?!!!

suzy-sue
11-09-11, 02:48
How can this medicine affect other medicines?

It is important to tell your doctor or pharmacist what medicines you are already taking, including those bought without a prescription and herbal medicines, before you start treatment with this medicine. Similarly, check with your doctor or pharmacist before taking any new medicines while taking this one, to ensure that the combination is safe (http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/interaction.htm).

There is a rare risk of seizures (fits) occuring with this medicine. This risk is greater if you take other medicines that can increase the likelihood of seizures in combination with this medicine. These include the following:

antipsychotics to treat mental illness
antidepressants
steroids taken by mouth or injection
theophylline
antimalarials
tramodol
quinolone antibiotics, eg ciprofloxacin, ofloxacin
sedating antihistamines
stimulants
slimming medicines.
This medicine must not be taken by pepole taking monoamine oxidase inhibitor antidepressants (MAOIs). At least 14 days should pass after stopping an MAOI (eg phenelzine, tranylcypromine, isocarboxazide) before starting treatment with bupropion hydrochloride.

Bupropion may increase blood levels of the following medicines. As this may result in an increased risk of side effects, your doctor may decrease the dose of these medicines if you are taking them with Zyban:

certain antidepressants, eg desipramine, imipramine, paroxetine, citalopram
antipsychotics, eg thioridazine, risperidone
beta-blockers, eg metoprolol
medicines for abnormal heart rhythm, eg flecainide, propafenone